Eclipse 18" T.I. vs. 2 12w7s vs. 3 12" type X

Username: Poundhardheh

Palmerston, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1
Hey I am having a hard time deciding what I want to get for a permanent setup. I am looking at an 18" T.I. or 2 12w7's or 3 12" type X's. I also am wondering about RE XXX, possibly 2 12", but in Canada I can't find them often.

My setup right now is I have the jl 1000/1 for my amp.

So I want something that will pound extremely hard because I have a big cadillac deville, but I also want SQ.

I'm not looking to spend much more money on amps, but I will if I have to.

So I need opinions, }

HELP!

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

I get Bucks like Milwa...

Post Number: 6170
The JLs would perform fine with the power you have now, but the X's and the TI could certainly handle more power and probably need it to pound at their optimum level. That being said, I wouldn't do the JLs unless you just want the name. There are plenty of subwoofers that can hold their own with the W7 regardless of the media jargon you hear.

I would look into the Audiopulse Revo and the Image Dynamics IDMAX among others, but either one of those would sound great with the power you have.

But that is beside the point. If you intend on running more than 1000 watts you will need to invest into some electrical upgrades for your car so it can handle the electrical current your amp is drawing. So unless you are interested in buying a new alternator I would stick with the power you already have at your disposal.

Post Number: 2
Well i have a 140 amp alternator, brand new battery, brand new starter, upgraded wiring and a kintek 1200 watt cap. Hows the SQ for the 18" Eclipse?

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 1479
ditch the cap.

Post Number: 3
Why you say ditch the cap, it helps lots.

Post Number: 4
I'm really looking into the 18" Eclipse, how is the SQ and sealed or ported and How would it be with the JL 1000/1, I know its not enough but would it pound hard for now?

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 2036
Personally, I'd ditch the JL amp and grab something more efficient. Out of curiosidy, what battery and gauge wiring do you have? Is that wire for your amps power/ground or is that your big 3 (under the hood)?

Post Number: 5
Well i got 2 gauge from battery back, and a brand new battery, its nothing special, and I got a 140 amp alt

Post Number: 6
Whats the big 3 again

Post Number: 7
Ok, i've narrowed my search.

JL 13w7 in a custom ported box
or
18" Eclipse T.I. in sealed...?

Could that 18" be in sealed and still be crazy loud? and be fairly clear?

Reason for these two subs, I can get the 13 for $400 and a box for $400. Or I can trade my 1 TYPE X 12" for the Eclipse and get a box made for $400.

What will put more output out with a JL 1000/1, I'm thinking the W7 because its matched with that amp. But i could get a amp for the 18" if you think that would put alot more output out and still be clean.

Silver Member
Username: Cozce

St. Louis ILLsideU.S.A.

Post Number: 334
If your box costs you $400, I will personally spend $400 to kill you.

Sorry.

Post Number: 8
What you meanin, its going to be burgunday suede, its not jus going to be a boring old box. And i'm getting a store to make it.

Silver Member
Username: Cozce

St. Louis ILLsideU.S.A.

Post Number: 335
Well, I hope it's worth it man. GL

Post Number: 9
What you meaning whats wrong wit spending $400

Gold Member
Username: Mendonmafia

USA

Post Number: 1485
it costs $50 to build a NICE box yourself.

Silver Member
Username: Ducka

Houghton and/or Macomb, MI United States

Post Number: 615
$400 for a box is an insane price. It better be the best box ever built by humans.

Post Number: 10
Ok, well than I will proboly build myself, but the problem is I don't know how to like tune it if I make ported and like what size if I were to go sealed. Well if I were to get the 18" Eclipse could it work in sealed? And if so that would be huge right?

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.5 DBsTrinidad & T...

Post Number: 14284
if ur keeping the JL amp u might as well match it with a 13w7 since those 2 were made for each other ..

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 2039
12w7 w/ JL HO box...?

Silver Member
Username: Prozack52

Cincinnati, 2-audio puls...

Post Number: 462
yes the ti will sound good in a sealed enclosure they have very strong motors to pump out the bass in small enclosures

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Ok, What will have more SPL? The T.I. 18" in a sealed box, or a ported box for the 13w7? Keep in mind I only have the JL 1000/1

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 2042
12w7 w/ JL HO box

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

Team RE XXX

Post Number: 2613
here is a link to a great sub\box combo
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products /2007/136/p136112R7-f-1.jpeg&imgrefurl=http://www.crutchfield.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/ App/Product/Item/Main.aspx%3Fi%3D136112R7&h=245&w=450&sz=23&hl=en&start=2&um=1&u sg=__W7q7gHV6aoCqARG2n7RoGhFSclI=&tbnid=LmtgEWtGwwDnPM:&tbnh=69&tbnw=127&prev=/i mages%3Fq%3D12w7%2Bw/%2BJL%2BHO%2Bbox%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
I've had a 10w7 in the HO box, and it wasn't near enough. I just bought a alpine type x as a temp, its a twelve. So im deciding two 12" type x's in custom ported box or one 13w7 in custom ported box...powered by 1 jl 1000/1

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 2047
Well if a 12w7 isn't enough, doubt you would notice much of a difference with a 13w7, but I haven't heard either in person.

You don't have enough power for 2 Type X's.

Silver Member
Username: Ridinspinnas

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 480
hey mike, where are you getting that 18" TI from, its most likely my old one, not too many TI's hangin around ontario, i traded mine for cash and two brand new type r's, didnt have money for an amp or box for it

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
I vhavew a type x in the type x box right now powered by a jl 1000/1 and its only turned up a lil passd half, but everytime I'm done using it for a lil, it spelts like burning. But its no blown! It's pissing me off cause I dont want to blow it, and I know I can power it way more!

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1586
I mailed you my old box design. I also added some suggestions on making it better. Don't know how it will do in your big car though. :P

Good luck, maybe you'll have better luck with some straight wood lol. Or you could just buy mine :-)

Upload
Upload
Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us