To sound smarter... ahh the glory!

Username: Grantley

North Canton, Ohio

Post Number: 3
I've gotten quite a kick outta some of these questions on the boards, learned from some and participated on a couple... but the thing that strikes me most funny is the usage of the word ohms and the lack of the word impedence.
*Getting up on soapbox*
Instead of saying what ohms is this sub, it should be impedence. If you go into a reputable shop and ask about the 'ohmage' of something they'll humor you there on the salesfloor but they'll laugh later in the back. It's cool to say 'I have a 4 ohm sub for sale' but you'll sound a lot smarter saying impedence (which is the technical term for resistance when dealing with audio equipment) when you're talking about wiring a few of them up and running series or parallel or so on...
I know glasswolf will appreciate this thread and any other shopowner will think more highly of you if you sound like the smarter version of yourself.

*Jumps down from soapbox* ROFL

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 238
Well thats great but the car audio shops and best buy/ circut city around my house in AZ probably wont laugh at you because they dont know what a ohm or independace is themselfs. All they know how to do it look smart and sell sh*t audiobahn to some newbiee. But i do agree with your statement!

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 406
Yeah. Impedance is used in car audio and is the proper word. I agree. To those that want to know, impedance is only referred to when it's AC, or in the case of audio, an AC signal. In a DC circuit, it's commonly referred to as resistance. When you're dealing with AC, resistance and inductance are what calculates impedance.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us