Can I run different ohm subs on same amp?

Username: Dirk

Post Number: 1
The reason I'm asking this question is because I'm dealing with a jackass on ebay.

I have 2 10-W0 JL 8ohm subs running on an mtx thunder 280 amp. This is an old system. Well, one of the subs blew out so I purchased another one.

I bought a 10-W0 JL sub from ebay. The auction stated that they carried 4ohm and 8 ohm subs. Well I thought I made it clear to the guy that I needed the 8ohm version, he even agreed with me. Yet he still sent me the 4ohm sub. He is telling me now that I have to send back the sub, and pay for shipping to have the right sub sent back to me. This is total bs, but I don't really know what I could do about it. Ebay is a biatch to work with. If I can I would like to avoid dealing with them.

So I'm grasping at the hope of saving myself shipping, and getting this sub to work. Is there any way to get this sub to run along side my other 8ohm sub? Or do they need to be the same ohm?

If this is a stupid question, sorry. But I am not totally sure so I have to be sure.

Thanks for any and all help.

Username: Dirk

Post Number: 2
Bump.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 408
It won't work in your case, or not work well, anyway.The 4 ohm will get twice the power that the 8 ohm does, and the weird 2 2/3 ohm load it will create won't get the potential of most any amp besides maybe a JL, in your case, it won't work with your amp because your amp is a 2 channel, the 2 2/3 ohm load will put the amp in protection if you're running it bridged, if you run one to each channel, one (the 4 ohm) will get twice the power of the other.

Bronze Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 96
Sorry but you cant do it. Its possible to run different subs with the same ohms but not the same sub at different ohms. Im pretty sure but someone else will come along here and give you a for sure answer.

Bronze Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 96
Sorry but you cant do it. Its possible to run different subs with the same ohms but not the same sub at different ohms. Im pretty sure but someone else will come along here and give you a for sure answer.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us