What'll run these Shivas the best?

Silver
Unregistered guest
I'm gonna' run two Shivas in probably a 1.75cf sealed/ported enclosure and I'm wondering if a JBL 600.1 will run the pair well or if it'd be worth maybe getting the 1200.1 I understand these Shivas have a very wide range when it comes to power consumption... I dont know, I'd really rather not put my car through the extra strain if it's gonna sound good with the 600.
Thx

Suicide-Shifter
Unregistered guest
the shivas only need 300 watts to reach full excursion so the 600.1 will be fine but with the 1200.1 you will get more heat and more SPL

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 372
The 600.1 would be best. 1200.1, especially in a ported enclosure, would push those subs too hard and very close to their thermal limit, that 600.1 will push them to mechanical x-max. All you want to do is get them to their mechanical limit, anyway, extra power will just be wasted as heat. Save the alternator current and run the 600.1, really the 1200.1 won't add too much extra benefit.

Suicide-Shifter
Unregistered guest
Jon, for the best performance on those Shivas the 1200.1 wouldnt make them sound any louder than the 600.1? would the 1200.1 make them hit harder?

Suicide-Shifter
Unregistered guest
With the Shivas would you run the 600.1 on 2 or 4 ohms?

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 386
You'd run a 2 ohm load. I replied your other post here:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/51771.html
You'd get a little more SPL from the 1200.1 on less intense songs, but if that 600.1 will push the max excursion, SPL won't get higher than the x-max will allow it. Say that Shiva needs 300 RMS for x-max, any point where the 600.1 isn't putting out full output, say a quieter part of the song where the amp puts out 400W, 200 to each sub, then the 1200.1 will put out 800W on that same song, 400 to each sub, pushing the subs to x-max. But the 100 watts more than 300 (which was all that was needed to reach x-max) will be wasted as heat and current draw.

Silver
Unregistered guest
Awesome thanks. What I've been finding in reviews of both amps though is that it doesnt have a subsonic filter and'll FUBAR sound from pretty much any speakers in a ported box. Better of going sealed for SQ then with these jbl amps? Maybe something smaller like 1.5cf for each? No reason not to get a combination box i guess for future upgrades but...

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 393
No subsonic filter won't hurt as long as you're running a sealed box. Those shivas can drop into subsonic range, anyway, you don't want to filter them out.

Silver
Unregistered guest
Recommended sealed box volume for the pair? I've been unable to find any.

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 396
Yeah, I recommend 1.5 cu. ft per sub, maybe a little more to get the full SPL at lower frequencies if your trunk will allow it.

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 650
id say cloer to 1.75-1.8 cF with 300 watts, itll help to reach mechanical xmax with lower power
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us