JL 10W6 or 8W7 matched with a JL 250/1 Amp?

Username: Dave71

Fairfax, VA USA

Post Number: 1
I'm trying to build a good audiophile system while maintaining a stock look/feel in my car. The JL Audio 250/1 is my best-fit candidate for a subwoofer amp. Unfortunately I don't have a good place to install the JLA 500/1. The 8W7 sub is a better match for the power curve of the 250/1 but I wonder if I would be better off with the 10W6 sub even though 250W is the minimum recommended power for it. Any recommendations or thoughts would be appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: Rswan

Post Number: 92
do u have a really small car/truck or something?

Fairfax, VA USA

Post Number: 2
I have a decent sized trunk in my 4 door. I was planning to install the JL 300/4 and the 350/1 amps to the sidewalls in back of the rear wheel wells with carpeted MDF/fiberglass coverings for a cleaner install that does not take away from all my trunk space. Only the sealed enclosure for the sub would be in the main trunk space. To install the 500/1 or a bigger all-in-one amp for everything would require raising the trunk floor or mounting it behind the back seats. I know what you are going to say... If you have back seats, don't use an 8" sub. However, I'm not trying to rock the block with my system. Of course I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to feel the beat, I just want it to be clean. I mostly listen to jazz, blues, classical, classic rock and alternative music and am just looking to balance out the low frequencies on my system. What I absolutely don't want is a muddy, rumbling base response from some of the lesser quality brands. Any suggestions?

Bronze Member
Username: Rswan

Post Number: 93
thats sounds like a good plan i would stick to it

Bronze Member
Username: Jayj

Post Number: 50
I think you should go for the 10W6. If you don't have enough power to it are if you ever decide you want more bass then you can buy a bigger amp. Plus in my opinion 8" subs just suck I wouldn't ever go with a sub under a 10".

droppeddime1
Unregistered guest
ive had the pleasure of hearing the 8w7 and i must say that it is the cleanest of the w7 line with quite a bit of umph too ......comparable to a 10" of with the same power to it ...the box for it isnt that big so space souldnt be a problem for your amp at all

Fairfax, VA USA

Post Number: 3
Thanks to everyone who passed along their advice. I was fortunate to be able to try out both the sealed 10W6 and 8W7 in my car before buying one. For an 8" sub, the 8W7 has a huge magnet and was impressive, but it definitely didn't measure up to the 10W6. Even with the 250/1 amplifier I'm thrilled with the output when listening to my jazz, classic rock, alternative, and hard rock. I get extremely clean, solid hits from this woofer even when playing the system at a 75-80dB level. For those who say the 250/1 is not enough power for the 10W6, you might be right. I would have bought the 500/1 myself if I had a good place to install it. However, If you want balanced, high-quality sound on the low end of the spectrum that definitely delivers a solid kick, This combination could work for you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us