Thunder6500d to fubr-12" by power acoustik

Username: Calisoutherner

Post Number: 1
amp...mtx thunder6500d
sub...power acoustik fubr-12"
Cap...1 Farad cap

I had wired this system myself, it's sound "okay" I don't think I'm getting all the power out of the amp and the sub, when I turn vol up the lights start to dim with the bass. What should I do change the amp to a more powerful one? or get another capacitor? or ...please help, thank you for your time.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 339
Capacitors only help if the charging system is up to par. If you use a capacitor with a stock charging system that isn't up to the job, it will drain with the current and not have time to recharge, in essence it's about like adding another battery, but it only lasts a couple of seconds. If your lights already dim, then you need to upgrade your alternator before even considering a bigger amp.

Post Number: 2
I Actually turn the amplifier down to half way, now give me a lot more kick from bass, and I took off the Cap, now it's lights dim very lightly (hardly can tell if you don't paying attending to it. Just getting back to the main topic..don't you think it's funny that I get more bass by turning down the gain. Thank you for your help Jonathan. what's a easy way to charge it capacitor again since I got it installed from the store where I brought it. I try to follow the steps..but I cna't seems to getting back to running again.(that's why I omit) thank you again if you have any good sugguestion.

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 358
What kind of capacitor is it? Did it come with a charging card, or did it come with a charging resistor? The amp was probably drawing way too much current, maybe to the point of protection mode.

Post Number: 3
It's a off brand Xpower ramper. Their website is down and I have to look for them installation paper. I guess it's better off taking it out. Right now it sound very nice, it's able to shake my book in my book shelf in my room about 20 -35 ft away. I'm really AMAZE how much better it sounds, I'm so glad I took it out.

Not to be greedy but I also have a pair of kiker 12'compv (400 rms), which one you think would sound better the 2 kicker 12's or the single power acoustik 12' with the same amplifier?

Thank your for your educational reply

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Post Number: 125
The Kicker's would sound much better. Sell the Power Acoustik.

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 365
Yeah, the two Kickers would sound a whole lot better. Hit harder, too. If you still want to charge the capacitor, I'll tell you an easy way since I don't know if it came w/ a charging resistor or a charging card. Get a test light. Take the fuse out of the amp's power cable (the one close to the battery). Hook the positive and ground up to the capacitor like you normally would, then clip the test light onto both terminals of the fuse and it will light up. The light will fade the more the Capacitor charges, and when it goes completely out, the cap is charged.

Post Number: 4
Would have to put the Kicker in the @2oms mode right? Yes the Capacitor, it doesn't have a remote wire or come with resistor or charging card, it's has a positive/neg and a digital display, suppostly when it's fully charge it's has a green light and red when it's not charged it. Would let you know what happen with the kickers. Thank you Jon

Hey Walh, the power acoustik actually sounds pretty good and I have never use kicker b4, plus by comparing the two by looks the power acoustik seens to be much more powerful
and numbers
Furb12- 700 rms
kicker- 400 x 2 rms
but I will try it and see myself..will update very soon.
Last question would my amplifer able to handle it?

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Post Number: 133
Yea the Power Acoustik is not as powerful as it says. I have a friend who used to have them and we was listening to them one day and they fried. Definatly does not take the power it says. WEll anyway the Kicker's will be a big improvement.

Bronze Member
Username: Jayj

Post Number: 40
A kicker would EAT that power acoustik and spit it out period. Looks don't mean ANYTHING. Get a kicker compVR 12 with 4ohm voice coils turn the amp sown alittle and wire it like this option #1

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wi ring.html?subs=1&impedance=DVC4x2

Post Number: 5
just keep in mind I'm only running a mono amp..it's wire the way the link show and boxed already, but how to I wire that to my amp? not thinking about getting any other amp at this moment.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
you hook it just like it shows you will have 2 wires coming from the sub when you are done hook the positive to the left positive terminal on the amp and hook up the negative to the right negative terminal of the amp and you done.

Post Number: 6
As of right now the boxed kicker has 2 sets of speaker wires coming out of it, one from each speaker. Will mess with it some more and let update you soon.
This would be the setup I'm going to try
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wi ring.html?subs=2&impedance=DVC4x2
Let me know if that would work

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 377
Which load? That amp can't handle a 1 ohm load, your other option is a 4 ohm load which won't push the subs that much. For two Kickers, you need Dual 2 ohm voice coils for a 2 ohm load, each sub wired in series, then parallel to the amp.

Post Number: 8
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard.asp?WoofQty=2+woofers&WoofImp =Dual+Voice+Coil+-+2+ohms+x+2&image.x=10&image.y=6
how about option 2 the 2 ohm load?

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 383
Yeah, two 2 ohm DVC subs wired like that for a 2 ohm load. That's perfect.

Post Number: 9
Jonathan what's the difference at the setup with .5ohm and 2 ohm load? the wiring looks to be the same. other than the positioning of the speaker connector's

option 1
positive and negetive
positive and negetive

option 2
positive and negetive
negetive and positive
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard.asp?WoofQty=2+woofers&WoofImp =Dual+Voice+Coil+-+2+ohms+x+2&image.x=25&image.y=4

I'm still very new to car audios, the more I read about it the more question I got..lol

Thank you again Jon

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
Here you go take a look at this there is an ohms section here and it explains EVERYTHING for you.

http://www.bcae1.com/ohm.htm

This should help you understand about ohms laws

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 390
Look closer at the two coils of the sub, on a sub that's wired in series (option 1), positive of amp goes to pos. of VC (voice coil) #1, VC1's negative goes to VC2's positive, then VC2's negative back to the amp. The .5 ohm (sub wired in parallel) the amp goes to VC1's positive, and VC2's positive, then the amp's neg. output is wired the both voice coil's negative terminals. Go to the site JayJ listed to explain Ohm's law. Most mono amps (including your MTX) are only stable to 2 ohm. So you need to wire the subs as option 2 states for a 2 ohm load.

Post Number: 10
I got them kickers in this morning, I wired just like option #2, I did tried to wire it different ways just to see if I can get better sound out of it, but I got the most juice when I wired like option #2. At 1st it's sound just little bit better than the power acoustik, but after I play a few songs I can really FEEL the different, it got more kick to the bass when I play "Knuck if you buck" I can feel the 3 different levels of bass, espacially the deepest one, it move my whole car when I turn it little bit over half. When I play that song b4 w/ power acoustikit I didn't even know there was 3 differernt levels of bass..lol. I was very surprise how much power it pack, I guess it takes a little time for the amp flow through the subs. Overall it does sounds better with the Kickers, so I'm going to go with the Kickers now.

At this time I would like to send a few thank you out to Jonathan, Jayj and Wahl for all your helps.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us