Break in period

Bronze Member
Username: Sql_lover101

Post Number: 33
i just got my new system put in 2day its a fi q 15, how long break in period? i have a alpine 9857. how loud should i have it on volume if it goes to 35max and wut level sub level

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4485
2 weeks at 20 hz

no jk i always just play them max right away keep it low first then slowly crank it incase of problems. it depends on the sub but ull be fine with that one just let her rip

Gold Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1240
if 35 is the max volume dont go past 27 EVER you may cause clipping but othere than that leter rip

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
I never let it go 27 hell 24 is max.. I prefer 22-24. Soo how much bass n sub lvl I should put ? Do I need to be responsible and play it at 18 volume or the sub will be fine?

Gold Member

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1241
once installed you can turn it up

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Soooo there is no break in period for a q? I can blast it and boom it asap?

Gold Member

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1242
no break in for any sub for that matter just turn it up slowly at first to make sure your settings are correct and there is no clipping

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
How do u kno if its about to clip and setting is correct?

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1518
There are tools you can use to set things, but by ear is the easiest way. When it starts to distort turn it down.

I've used several alpine units and woudnt reallyl go over a volume of 23.

Bronze Member
Username: Trueaudiophile

New York

Post Number: 24
There is so much bad information and VOODOO going around the internet about how to set car audio amplifier gain controls that I thought I better write this paper.

Gain controls on an amplifier are basically just small potentiometers (variable resistors) or volume controls if you will, that allow you to adjust the incoming signal to the amplifier so the amplifier works well with your headunit of choice or to match the level of other amplifiers in your system.

Its not rocket science to set the gains. Gains are like little volume controls, (I don't know why so many installers are taught that gains are NOT volume controls, when in fact that is EXACTLY what they are!) its super simple to just set them where the level sounds good to you.

With one amplifier its desirable to have a nice swing on your headunits volume control. Let me try to clarify this a little.

If we hook up a head unit with a 8volt (or more) output to an amplifier, then the volume will get loud very fast when we start to turn it up...In other words if our digital volume control goes from 1-30, then a HIGH VOLT output to an amplifier might make the amplifier reach full power at 5 on the volume scale... That kinda sucks cause it would be nice if you had a little more swing in your 1-30 range!

And by the same token a headunit with a LOW VOLT output might have to be turned up all the way to 30 and might still not quite drive the amplifier to full power... That sucks too!

A gain control in this case will allow you to adjust the amplifier so it allows the volume of a headunit to control the amplifier so it will get loud at a desirable point in the 1-30 swing... Usually about 3/4 the way up. We don't want it to get loud too fast as we wont have a good control as music levels differ. And we don't want it to have to be turned up all the way to get loud either, because since different music may be recorded at different levels if we set the gains for max output with one music source it might not get loud with a music source recorded at a lesser level.

So, by setting the gains so 3/4 turn of the headunits volume knob gets it LOUD gives you plenty of control and some extra above the 3/4 mark in case you get some music that's recorded at a lesser level...

To do this its easiest to do it by ear. No need to drag out the TEST TONES and OSCILLOSCOPES! They will do you absolutely no good.

One MYTH is how the gain controls will help to prevent amplifier distortion and amplifier clipping... That's simply not true, UNLESS you set the gains at a level where the headunit cannot possibly drive the amplifier to full power.. And even if you were to find this magic spot for your gain controls then (A) you would have to turn that volume control FULL SWING to get your system loud and (B) since many music sources (or disks) are not all recorded at the same level, its likely that if you have a disk recorded lower then you cant get it loud at all! and if you have a disk recorded louder then you can still surpass your magic spot... So in reality searching for this magic spot is fruitless! Dont waste your time...

In the early 80s when high fidelity car amplifiers were just starting to make the scene I worked with a pretty crazy installer that was kind of legendary around these parts... I wont mention his name but he was pretty highly respected at the time.. Well anyway, this crazy installer had heard that the amplifier gain control was to prevent amplifier clipping.. (still widely heard today).. Well this crazy installer set up EVERY CAR WE DID to the point where the gain control was so LOW that if you turned the head unit all the way up the amplifier WOULD NOT DISTORT.. And of course if you did turn the headunit all the way up the system would just be getting loud...

Customers would find that some cassettes would be recorded at a lower level and the music just wouldn't get loud enough... The Crazy installer would FLIP OUT and tell the customer that a REAL AUDIOPHILE doesn't want his music to distort or be that loud! The customers were NOT HAPPY and came to me to say "Gee Eddie, I don't want to make the other guy mad but can you adjust my system so it sounds good and please dont tell the other guy? Of course I said yes, and some of those customers from back in the early 80s are still my customers and they are sending sending their children to me for work as well.

SO, you see the only way the gains can be used to eliminate clipping or distortion will also limit your top end volume! And for most of us it is NOT DESIRABLE to do so.

As long as this is not done, it is just as possible to turn your system up to FULL power and beyond to clipping no matter where the gains are set....

Now, on to another reason to adjust a gain control. A MULTI AMP SYSTEM!

If there is more than one amplifier it is possible that one set if speakers plays louder than another! This can be because of mounting location in the car, it can be cause the speakers are different sizes or different brands or maybe your two amps are different brands with different sensitivities, either way, with the amplifier gain controls you can set the radio fader in the middle (if you have one) and then make the adjustments to the amplifiers so the levels are the same. Good thing those gain controls are there...

This multi amp adjustment is pretty easy to do by ear, simply have someone sit in the listening area and tell you as you adjust them when the sounds are equal. Simple!

All the VOODOO about watching an oscilloscope and looking for a clipped signal is a waste of time and wont get you what you want anyway! Do it by ear, its simple. Don't let adjusting the gains scare you, they are simply volume controls...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
1st... that was long as I dunno wut.. But thanx for info.. But you used so much stuff I dunno just summarize in 1 sentence , all these car audio terminology

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 22361
lol long post ftw!!!!!

i say just set the gain by ear. this is the way i do it for both sub and component speaker amps.

1. turn the gain down all the way on both amps.

2. put in my favorite song that has a clean recording.

3. put my stereo volume up to 3/4.

4. then i slowly start turning the sub amp gain up until i feel its too loud. then i turn it down until its just loud.

5. then i start turning the component speaker amp up until it blends just right with the bass from the sub.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 10504
You can set by ear but I bet youll be over your target voltage that the digital multimeter would tell you. Which means a higher chance for clipping. But in the past I used to set my gain by ear and listen for distortion and I never broke a sub from distortion and I had alot of years in car audio. The problem is not everyone knows what distortion sounds like. Thats why I think setting the gain with a digital multimeter is the better choice.

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 22365
yes sean but lets talk about that target voltage.

usually you would use a 0db 50hz test tone to set the gain. now when you are listening to music, some are recorded louder or lower. also a song is not only 50hz. so unless you are going to drive around listening to a 50hz test tone then it won't matter.

but no doubt it is a good starting point and thats why alot of people recomend it.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 10505
haha I figured this would come up but I didnt post my thoughts on that. Anyway yes the accepted method is to set the gain with a 50 hz tone and what you said is true from what ive seen on a digital multimeter and on a o scope from what I saw on Canaans video. But what I saw on the dmm is the lower you go below the 50 hz tone the higher the voltage gets which is clipping range and the higher you go over 50 hz the less the voltage is which is fine but if you were to set the gain at the lowest frequency you would play in your subs and set the voltage this would be the fix in my opinion but you would get less voltage as the frequency went up.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us