Best SQ sub available??

Username: Virulentv

Post Number: 8
hey guys my polk momo 10" just blew within a months use(although never listened it to high volumes), so now i am on the outloook again . i am looking for a sub with the best SQ and which touches the lowest notes clean and accurate(listen to jazz, rock and r&b sometimes). i am looking for something with 500rms.

so which is the sub with the best SQ and low frequecny response?

thanks!

Anonymous

brahma 10"
parrallel to 1 ohm
sealed box (.75-1.2 cuft)

enough said.....

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 310
Image Dynamics ID MAX is a fantastic SQ sub, drops down to 10 hz, and also has high SPL.

Post Number: 9
thanks for the reply guys. the problem with adire is firstly the brahma requires an amp which is giving 1800w of rms which i kind of dont need at the moment as i have an amp with specs 450x1@4ohm. the prob with image dynamics is they run at 250 rms . how about Xtant, kicker solo baric l7, infinity,mtx,audiobhan or something else u got in mind? btw i can get a used solobric l7 for $160

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 324
ID Maxxes take 1000W RMS, but will run really well off of 450.

Post Number: 10
never noticed this but this sucky profile ca600 i have also runs 225 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms. so probably i can hookup 2 of ID's IDQ runnin for 250rms; would that be dual 2 or 4 impedence? IDQ's are the ones that drop down to 10hz , id max drops down to 20hz. so in ur opinion shuold it be 2 idq's or 1 id max? remember i need pure SQ only at normal listening levels, no turning heads no competitions!

thanks

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 329
For a 2 ohm load on each channel, two dual 4 ohms, each wired in parallel to one channel of the amp. Yeah, sorry, goofed on the specs, ID max is 20 hz, but that really is not bad at all since you only hear to 20 hz anyways. Two ID Q's would have fantastic SQ and run good off the amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
so in the end, the best option in the world of SQ bass would be 2 ID's IDQs(better than 1 id max).

thanks for all ur help

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 335
Yeah, the ID Max is a great sub, but I'd do two ID Q's for sound quality and they'll probably do better since their power will be matched instead of way underpowered. IDQ's have great SQ. Probably plenty of bass for you.

Bronze Member
Username: Germanguy

Post Number: 47
you asked for the best SQ sub available?

Phase Linear Aliante 12" Si Limited it is

Upload

but is has it backdraws when it comes to SPL
plus you won't get it below 1 G

Robert J
Unregistered guest
Where do you find that sub at Germanguy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
here is a report about it, I just pasted it into this box: that report was from 2000, but is unmatched by SQ until now. the JLW7 even ranks five or six places below the Aliante.

Car sub-woofer with unlimited capacity: the new Phase Linear Aliante Special Edition

Great care has gone into these new models. The Special Edition of Phase Linear's Aliante sub-woofer - already a legend in its own right - reaches even greater performance heights.

Even when it first appeared a few years ago, Phase Linear's sensational Aliante sub-woofer created waves. The long-established high-end brand made no bones about it: once again, it was a force to be reckoned with in the world of hi-fi. Now, at the world's largest trade fair for in-car sound - Car & Sound in Sinsheim, Germany - Phase Linear introduces the Special Edition of its cult sub-woofer, redesigned from top to toe.

Even at first glance, the Aliante's high-tech materials and unique shapes distinguish it from conventional bass speakers. This is exemplified by the speaker cones. 'Maximum stability' is Phase Linear's watchword, and this is brought to new heights by two ultra-hard glass fibre weave disks separated by an aluminium honeycomb grid. Thanks to its unbreakable stability, this cone can follow the most turbulent accelerations of the voice coil without even the slightest kinks or twists.

Phase Linear's voice coils take on gigantic proportions: even in the smaller 10" Sl the cone is driven by a 125 mm voice coil. The two top models - the 12" LTD. SI and 15" SI - are driven by a record-breaking 170 mm diameter voice coil. The giant voice coils offer hitherto unheard of power handling capacity: the Aliante 10" Sl can withstand a maximum performance of 800 watts, while the next one up - the Aliante 12" SI - has a power handling capacity of up to 900 watts. The two largest Special Edition woofers have turned all previous specifications on their head: according to the data sheets, we are not talking of 1,000 or even 2,000 watts - but of capacity which is, quite simply, unlimited!

Any hi-fi fans who remain unconvinced by these performance data (and we shouldn't think there are many) should just take a look at the lowest bass frequencies which can be achieved. All four Aliantes can easily climb down the frequency ladder - right down to the magical 20 Hz. Indeed, the 380 mm Aliante goes right down to 15 Hz, below what the human ear can hear. The Special Edition of Phase Linear Aliante sub-woofers thus turns music into a tangible experience!

NEWS FLASH: The Aliante 12 Ltd. Si was declared the winner in a comparison test with the Focal Utopia 33WX and the Polk Momo MM120. Even more impressive, the Limited Si was ranked in the "Absolute Top Class" as the best sounding speaker of all the woofers tested by the magazine until now!

THE KEY DATA ON THE SPECIAL EDITION PHASE LINEAR ALIANTE SUB-WOOFERS

Model
Technology

Aliante 10" SI
Sub-woofer with 250 mm cone made of a fibreglass / aluminium sandwich with a honeycomb structure, aluminium voice coil and basket, polished pole plate, nominal / music capacity of 350 /800 watts, frequency range 20 - 300 Hz

Aliante 12" SI
Sub-woofer with 300 mm cone made of a fibreglass / aluminium sandwich with a honeycomb structure, aluminium voice coil and basket, polished pole plate, nominal / music capacity of 400 /900 watts, frequency range 19 - 300 Hz

Aliante 12" LTD. SI
Sub-woofer with 300 mm cone made of a fibreglass / aluminium sandwich with a honeycomb structure, aluminium voice coil and basket, polished pole plate, unlimited capacity, range 18 - 300 Hz

Aliante 15" SI
Sub-woofer with 380 mm cone made of a fibreglass / aluminium sandwich with a honeycomb structure, aluminium voice coil and basket, polished pole plate, unlimited capacity, range 15 - 300 Hz

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
I found a dealer in Germany who sells it for 950 USD. Of course there will be another 100 bucks shipping and another something import taxes. So think of maybe 1300 USD total as an import.
I haven't seen it at US stores so far.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
woow! that was a lot of info germanguy.... but u see thats competition stuff.. moreover the sub aint over here .. and the biggest thing of all is its costing over $1g and ofcourse something of over $1g will be better than the $300 polk momo. anyways thanks man

Bronze Member
Username: Southernrebel

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 81
a brahma 10" doesnt require the full 1600watts it is rated for to get its 28mm xmax...

it just has a 1600watt rms voice coil,(it can take upto 1600watts of heat but doesnt "need" that much)
it can reach its xmax at less than 600watts rms in a 1 cu ft sealed box.

the brahma 10" has great SQ and SPL, it has better SQ than a w6v2 or a w7.

and its about $350

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 345
Everyone has their opinions, Germanguy, there isn't a best. Out of the specs you gave, none constitute it being the "best". You'd have to look at moving mass, inductance of the voice coils, surface area, etc. to determine a great SQ woofer. But in the end, you can't please everybody. I've seen German magazines that ranked the MB Quart Q series as the best components, but I'd take Dynaudios over them anyday. Not dissing you, just pointing out everyone's hearing is subjective, including magazine editors, people really shouldn't take reviews any further than they can spit as the editors tastes may be totally different than your own. They could also be biased due to personal liking or monitary reasons, you never know. Marshall is right about a Brahma, only needs 600 RMS to get moving. I really wouldn't push more than 800 RMS in a normal application, 600 is plenty.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
adire audio site is weird, u try to check the specs and you get lost. anyways , i would rather go for shivas as they would be more affordable and would want less rms than the brahamas, barahmas need around 1000rms for good power. plus man getting a adire is a lot of investment ... getting an amp , getting the rite subzero enclosure , its like getting a whole new system again. i got a amp , i just need the rite sq sub or subs to go with that. adire is rarity , ppl i know here never heard of adire .

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 356
Brahmas really don't need but 600W each. But 600W on two Shivas would be really nice. You won't be disappointed with them.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
@jonathan
you're right about the specs, there are more impressive woofers out there
but when it comes to SQ, visit any german car audio board and ask some veterans for the ultimate SQ woofer
Aliante it is....after that looong time nothing and then some competitors get in sight
...this one is more than a legend or just someones oppinion.
anyway, I agree tastes are different and there might be some people out there who favour different woofers when compared to Aliante, but I don't know anybody over here who would recommend any woofer over the aliante in this price region.

of course we don't have all the stuff you guys have in the states, but at least the JL W7 is no competition for it, which is already considered a very good SQ woofer. so I reduce my statement of "THE SQ sub to have" and just say, it's a far more than "just a very good SQ sub".

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
jonathon on ur second last post i think u jumped from brahmas to shivas by mistake . or is it that a single shiva does take 600rms? ok .. i got a new VS here for the better SQ:

1 shiva VS 2 Image Dynamics IDQ's (not ID MAX)

the shiva would be running of a parts express300 (120 watt amp) and the 2 IDQ's wuold be runin of a 225rms on each sub. which would be a better SQ production?

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 362
That's because you said you'd rather go with the Shivas because of cost. That Shiva is thermally rated for 650W RMS, but the Brahma is thermally rated at 1600W RMS. In real life, the Shiva doesn't need but 300W RMS and the Brahma 600W RMS to get optimum performance. Basically, a thermal rating isn't a power requirement, a woofer will reach it's mechanical limit before it reaches it's thermal limit, so you don't need that much power to get the best performance. As far as those options, the IDQ's would sound better because they're getting more power. If you ran the Shivas 225 rms like the IDQ's, then they would be very comparable, with the Shiva having more SPL, with SQ that would be almost the same.

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 363
Also, I stated in that post Brahmas don't need but 600W continuous for good performance, and that 600W RMS on TWO shivas (300 to each sub) would also be good. Sorry if I confused you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
arite, heard a lot about the Sq/SPL fame of the brahmas. but the question is that will 2 shivas be better in SQ than 2 IDQ's?
i can get 2 shivas for $250 shipped. the guy said it needs a amp that puts out 300x2 @ 4 ohms
stereo as the subs are dual 8 ohm. the guy is recomending Alphasonik PMA2300 but the damn thing is hard to find on the net(getting for whopping $450 at one site) and this state doesnt have one authorized dealer for this product. in one of ur other threads JON u said to hook jbl600.1 to the 2 shivas with 2ohm load, this guy is sayin at 4ohms, i am kinda confused here. but in the end the question remains , shivas VS IDQ's for better SQ with their appropriate amp setups ?

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 400
He's recommending a 2 channel amp, which each sub on a channel of the amp will have a 4 ohm load, REALLY expensive to get a 2 channel putting out 300x2 at 4 ohms. The JBl 600.1 is a mono amp, meaning when you hook both subs up to that one channel, the load will drop to two ohms and the amp will put out 600W RMS, 300 to each sub. It's basically the same thing, mono amps don't draw as much current or generate as much heat, also that JBL is a lot cheaper than the Alphasonik he recommended, and still a great amp. Mono amps give more watts per dollar than two channel amps.

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 402
And IDQ's and Shivas are both extremely good SQ subs, they run neck and neck for SQ, but the Shiva's will put out more SPL. I'd do two Shivas for the added output they give as SQ is so close.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Thanks for the reply JON, so you say the JBL 600.1 is a cheap and a good solution for the 2 shivas. Is there any other amp you recommend for a good SQ? and what do u say would be the best enclosure(in terms of volume) for the perfect SQ out of these shivas?

thanks again!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
JON bro, waiting for your reply on the above.
and how about xtant A3001t and xtant 301a amps would do? they are coming for around $150-$200shipped. on the other hand, xtant 6.1 with the same configurations is coming around $440-$480, cant tell the difference b/w those xtants.

thanks once again

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 416
Sorry I couldn't post you quick, gave me a message that the forum was under maintenance. Those Xtant amps you listed (3001t and 301a) will only put out half the power of a JBl 600.1. An Xtant 6.1 would be a step up from the JBL, it'll have better sound quality. Another consideration is a Kicker 600.1 or JL Audio 500/1 if you can find them in your price range. Enclosure wise, I'd do somewhere between 1.75-2 cubic feet per sub for best SQ, and it'll get the full potential out of those subs. I wouldn't go any less than 1.5 cu ft.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
thanks alot for all ur posts JON, you've been a big help!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us