2 BTL 18s boxes

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1498
This is design # 1. It's ~16ft net at 36hz. (49x20x39/36 depending). 47.5x5 port.

No bracing yet because I have to take it back out to wrap/carpet if I decide to keep it anyway.

I'll meter sometime in the next week or two and I'll post the results.

I only have 1 alternator and 5 batteries right now, I should have my new MLA module and 2 alts in the next week or two. I know how to control the gains till then ;)

any criticizm is welome.

Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1223
looks like complete crap....... no but seriously looks good nice and clean vids are a must!!!!

Silver Member
Username: Deadrabit

Post Number: 766
y did u use those kind of batteries?
isn't that box a little big for a pair of 18s? i could be wrong but i thought more like 14 cuft.

i bet that makes u mess ur pants when it hits the lows

Gold Member

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1224
btl 18 is rec in 5-10cuft x2= 10-20cuft

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Post Number: 1121
i think troy knows his way around a BTL

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 3308
Once again Troy, very impressive.

Hows she sound?

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

Post Number: 2617
your downgraded system srill puts mine to shame Troy lol. and add ebsupra on your ps3 damnit

Gold Member

Post Number: 1499
I don't know how the new btls go, but these were recommended 5-8ft net. After bracing they'll be seeing about 7.5 each, although after metering I'll decide if I should switch back to two boxes :-)

It doesn't sound bad. It doesn't hit the lows like I thought it would though- I forgot to figure in how close the other boxes were to the tailgate. While I tuned the old boxes to 36hz to squeeze a bit more air space out of them, they were just a few inches of the gate and it droped the tuning more like 33hz.
This one has 6"+ from the gate and it really is around 36hz.

It's pretty loud with barely enough voltage drop to be noticable though, just need to get my electrical straight again before turning it up.

Any suggestions on making a better/louder box for this vehicle? I will be making more so any advice is welcome.

Silver Member
Username: Shade

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 735
make them smaller....like 4.5cu ft so ucan throw all that power on them.

we did a 149 testing and tuning at 45 or 46hz with a box at 4.5cu ft @ 35hz using 2 6" aero's. this was a 08 btl off a saz3k @ .5ohms

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

SOCAL2 RE 15 XXX

Post Number: 2483
that's a very clean install troy. Just wrap the box with something.

Gold Member

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1225
ya i have the same model as you 5-8cuft didnt know if you sold all your old ones and got 2 new they are 5-10cuft

Gold Member

Post Number: 1500
I was very close to 152 with 2 and my stock alternator so I'm hoping I can get a bit more out of it with this enclosure and much better charging.
They did seem to handle the power pretty well before with about 7 to 8 ft each, but I guess we will see. I plan on throwing all the amps can give to them.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 10494
jeremy m...."make them smaller....like 4.5cu ft so ucan throw all that power on them.

we did a 149 testing and tuning at 45 or 46hz with a box at 4.5cu ft @ 35hz using 2 6" aero's. this was a 08 btl off a saz3k @ .5ohms"

While I agree that going down to a smaller box will help the score. I think it would be better to pick a enclosure size that will help Troy get the best use of the subs at rated power or a little over for daily use. Other added benefits would be even less voltage drop tighter bass response and longer life of the subs as well.

Silver Member

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 736
i just figured since it showed 2 memphis 4k's on 2 18's that he was running alot of power. 4k+ is alot of power to have a big box IMO. but are your btls' the new models or the older ones? i've only been wroking with the newer style.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1504
I can always recone :D

I want to put 4000rms on each for extended periods of time- at least to try for 149.9 bassrace. I don't know if I'll get that without a lot of work, but I'm up for the challenge.

It is a lot of power to have that much box/port, so I'm going to try it like this until I get my alts in, maybe burp a time or two or try a few hair-tricks, then work on a different box or alter this one. I plan on building several different boxes or if this one will do what I want cleaning it up.

Thanks!
A 10ft net box with no internal bracing but 5 layers thick would be easy to build, and easily below the window line.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1505
These are old btls, I think these are from mid 07.

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO / ASU

Post Number: 3312
Troy if you have the time you should try an isobaric box for the 18s. Ive never seen one with 18s before and it should absolutely murder the lows.

My iso box has been hands down the best setup ive had for all around sql.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1506
Sounds like an idea :-)

Silver Member

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 737
i'm a big fan of iso boxes too!

U CAN DO IT!!!!!

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 10496
An iso box would be interesting with two 18's. They are supposed to have output equivalent to one sub but thats probably not totally true since you do seem to gain more output in the lower frequencies.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us