5 channel Tube Amp ratings - RMS?

Username: Maicopete

Post Number: 8
How are amplifiers rated as a rule? The Bazooka CS8A5 is a 5 channel amplified tube rated at 4x25(100w) and 1x100 (sub). Are these ratings RMS? My Eclipse HU is 4x40w RMS which I understand is really only about 11-15w. If the CS8A5 is 4x25w RMS then I wouldn't I get more juice from the HU?

If the 4x25 is not RMS but clean power then it may make sense as an inexpensive way to power a sub and the four existing speakers.

Opinions?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3389
your head unit is 40w x 4 MAX. RMS (peak continuous output) is about 11-22 watts per channel.
the amplifier's 40x4/100x1 is RMS, and will deliver much more, cleaner power than the head unit.
Better cooling, better components strictly due to the space tehy take to produce the power required.. a head unit will never be a better solution for quality to power speakers compared to a decent amplifier.

Username: Maicopete

Post Number: 9
Thanks for the help! I was confused between MAX and RMS. I just looked in the manual for the Eclipse and it states "Power Output - 13W x 4, Max 40W x 4. Clearly stated in the manual and clearly missed on my part.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us