How big a box for a couple Qs? Big trunk!

Bronze Member
Username: Cadillacmatt

San Antonio, TX USA

Post Number: 13
Hey guys! After doing much research on this forum and around the web I've decided I'd like to upgrade my low end to 2 15" Fi Qs, but I need some help with the box.

Ok... from the threads I've read 32Hz ported is an excellent sweet spot for this sub, giving both excellent low end properties and volume without sacrificing SQ. I've decided on that. As far as size, Fi recommends a ported enclosure of 2.8cuft-4cuft. My trunk is quite massive, as far as car trunks go (it's a Caddy), I have 40" depthmax , 19" height max and 48" width max to work with. Before I go and pick a box, I have a few questions -

1. What would I gain from choosing either the smaller (2.8cuft) or the larger (4cuft) enclosure or in between, assuming I can fit them?

2. If a sub requires, say for example 3cuft, and I have two of them, would that mean I need to get a 6cuft enclosure?

3. Two subs in a ported box... divider in between with a port for each sub, or one chamber?

4. Any suggestions on size?

Thanks for any help you can give

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2206
Hello, Matt.

32hz is a pretty low tuning. Subs don't exactly have a "sweet spot" for tuning. It is more so your vehicle and your listening needs. In some vehicles, your tuning can drop 4-5hz just dropping it in the trunk. Keep in mind, you will not have much of a higher end when it comes to music. How many songs do you listen to that plays 30hz?

Also. It isn't too much about trunk size. It's more about trunk opening. If you can't put your box through the opening, then trunk size is worthless lol. So make sure u have a big enough opening.

That's all I can answer right now. Have to head off to work.

Bronze Member

San Antonio, TX USA

Post Number: 14
I listen mostly to rap/hip hop with low bass. Fi recommends a 28-33Hz tuning for this sub. Trunk opening is just slightly less than the dims I listed, sp that shouldn't be a problem.

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodia

Post Number: 4253
"Fi recommends a ported enclosure of 2.8cuft-4cuft"

I believe this is after sub and port displacement. So you have to take that into account as well. Your box will overall be bigger.

Example, my friends box for his hd315 is about 4.5cuft, and after port and sub displacement, it sits at about 3.5-3.6cuft.

Bronze Member

San Antonio, TX USA

Post Number: 15
Oh ok. So if you have a slot port in an "L" shape, you subtract the entire length of that port?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us