Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Post Number: 1104
i have read that a fuse is not necessary

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6384
it is safer to fuse it. most people dont though.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8386
" it is safer to fuse it. "

Wrong...... fusing the alternator to battery wire is useless. The reason being there is a source of current at BOTH ends of the wire, the alt on one end the battery on the other. If that wire shorts to ground, it will short no matter if theres a fuse anywhere on it or not.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 8678
"" it is safer to fuse it. "

Wrong...... fusing the alternator to battery wire is useless. The reason being there is a source of current at BOTH ends of the wire, the alt on one end the battery on the other. If that wire shorts to ground, it will short no matter if theres a fuse anywhere on it or not."

Actually, you're wrong but not in all cases. Think about where the wire or fuse might make contact if it somehow came loose and shorted to ground, the fuse would pop and break the link between the fuse/fuse holder and alt wire, the battery line may be dangling in the air freely and not hitting anything, meanwhile your fuse is the point of contact where it hit ground and popped so your wire would be safe at this point even though the fuse holder or fuse is now making contact to ground. It all depends on where the power line touches to ground though.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8389
And then you still have a section of unfused wire loose.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6385

quote:

Wrong...... fusing the alternator to battery wire is useless

wrong? no. it can protect your car. the main reason for doing this is when you get in an accident say rear end someone or hit a pole the wire can get pinched and short to ground. well the engine is going to shut off in many cases or you can turn it off before a fire starts. the alt will not be producing current and the fuse will blow protecting the battery. if you were that worried about it you could even fuse both ends. Why do auto manufactures have this wire fused near the battery, certainly it isnt for them to waste money.

now MS can you explain how i am wrong?

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 8684
He can't because he just spits out bullsh1t I'd say...2 out of 5 times.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8392
The fuse would only blow if the section of wire after it shorts. And that wire is usually so short that putting a fuse within 18" of the battery puts the fuse in the middle of the wire...... then you have just as much chance of the unfused section shorting.

Bottom line unless you put a fuse right on the battery it won't do you much good.

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2207

quote:

Wrong...... fusing the alternator to battery wire is useless. The reason being there is a source of current at BOTH ends of the wire, the alt on one end the battery on the other. If that wire shorts to ground, it will short no matter if theres a fuse anywhere on it or not.

Extremely wrong.

Think about it.
Lets say that, for example, your ring terminal on the battery end of the power wire came loose off the battery for some weird reason. If the terminal hit ground, the fuse would pop, disconnecting it from the section before the fuse.

Isn't that hard to understand lol.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8393
Now that is possible.

But you would have to be a complete idiot to have that happen..... if you can't crimp terminals so they don't come off well you shouldn't be installing a system.

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2208
I've seen it happen to people lol. I've also seen people that melted their power wire's insulation because it was too close to the engine, and there was only bare copper showing for about 2ft of the wire.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 8394
Holy hell. Like I said, idiots.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us