Db reading good or bad for equipment I have?

Bronze Member
Username: Me_too

Im not a Hillbilly, Arkansas U.S.A.

Post Number: 16
I know from reading prior posts over the years that the only thing you guys trust for decibel readings is once specific kind but I don't remember what it's called. Termlab possibly? Anyway, my supervisor has a cheap Wal-Mart Db counter and we decided to meter my car with it. I'm only running 2 10" subs with a 600watt RMS amp and the reader was hitting 125Db holding it at the driver side window. I know nothing about this stuff or how to read Dbs but if this cheap reader is anywhere close to correct is that good or bad for what I have?

Gold Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1210
termlab is the standard. walmart ones are completly inaccurate

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Is there a margin to gauge the inaccuracy of the Wal-Mart reader as in, is it just off by +\- 5 or 10 Dbs or is it such a vast difference you can't get any kind of ballpark figure with it?

Gold Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Get loud or go home....

Post Number: 1211
i dont think so i think that one time it will say 125 the next 130 they arent accurate what so ever from what ive heard i never personally used one

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Ok. I'll just disregard what it said and try to find a Termlab then. Thanks for the info.

Silver Member
Username: Ducka

Shelby Township, MI United States

Post Number: 392
Im not an expert, but you might be able to take like 10+ readings then take the average... That may give you a decent reading. Unless the walmart meter is complete garbage, which knowing walmart it probably is.

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2635
lol. I have one of those too. It's called "Boomstick." Its like +/-20db.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 10461
You should meter at the dash on the passenger side closer to the windshield and a few inches to the left from the edge with the windows up.

Silver Member
Username: Ducka

Shelby Township, MI United States

Post Number: 393
"See this is my BOOMSTICK!"
Shop smart, shop S-Mart.

Army of Darkness^ lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us