Help for Avg guy $1000 need head and all

Unregistered guest
Hey fellas. I'd like to get some nice bass into my new Civic and, like most ppl, what I think I know about subs is probably all wrong. I've listened to different setups like at best buy or sound advice and for the money ($1000 or so Head, amp and all) the guys there would have me going with something like this... I'll include some of my thoughts and I'd appreciate all your suggestions.
A pioneer DEH-7600mp head... (good fm sensitivity, mp3 capability, good sub-controls... 2V RCA outs? not the best around)
2 12" RF punch 2's...(Havent got to hear 'em but I know RF's a good brand and the P2's are atleast respectable)
-frequency response 20-200 Hz
-power range 50-200 watts RMS
-peak power handling 400 watts
-sensitivity 86 dB
-4-ohm impedance

Sony class D amp which vary from 400 - 900 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms... (umm Sony?! anyway... i've heard these are efficient and sound good with the RF's. Both are between 250 - 300each)
I just got this feeling that the P2's are nice but the lower RCA output of the Pioneer combined with that Sony amp might dumb them down quite a bit that's not what I want.

Assuming I go with RF P2's or the like... what's gonna do the best for me along with it? Thx again

Bronze Member
Username: Sploosh56

Post Number: 91
I wouldn't get the Fosgate subs or the Sony amp. Both will disapoint you. The head unit is nice though. Try to get yourself some 12" JL W0 or 12" Kicker Comp subwoofers. And for an amp look for a 300 watt Alpine or Kicker mono amp on ebay or something.

anony
Unregistered guest
go with the jl's but look into JBL amplifiers, such as the bp600.1

Silver_XAT
Unregistered guest
Wow... appreciate it. I would have gotten the RF's. How important is it to have a head with higher than 2V outputs?

Silver_XAT
Unregistered guest
hmmm i need some amp recommendations to push these 2 12" JL WO or W3's I should still stick with a mono amp correct?

Bronze Member
Username: Jamtochristian

Penn State , Pennsylvania USA of course!

Post Number: 35
Stay with mono, they handle the subs best. I would agree with anony, on the fact that some of the JBL amps are pretty nice. Friend of mine just bought a 1200 Watt JBL amp for his Memphis HPO's, JBL amps are quite nice.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
To be honest, I was thinking about it, and I wounldn't get that amp either if you're looking for something thats really nice. That pioneer HU probably isn't going to have the high voltage Pre-outs like an alpine would. Take a look and see if there are any alpines that might interest you. The Pioneer HU is better than Quite a few other HU's out there, but take a look at some Alpines and possibly some other brands before you make your decision. Oh, and don't buy anything from best buy, you'll pay way more than you have to. Stay clear of Fosgate subs, I had a set of punch 15's, and I'll never go back to fosgate. I was not impressed.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 304
Yeah, I'd find Alpine on an internet site, then maybe JBL amp, like a 1200.1, very good amp, you won't find reliable amps with that much power brand new under warranty. Adire Audio Shivas are very good budget subs.
2 Adire Shivas=$250
1 JBL 1200.1=$300 (or less, we'll assume the worst to be safe)
You still have $450 to spend on a head unit, you could possibly still have a little to put into saving for component speakers. Alpine makes nice head units, and I don't recommend Eclipses with 8V preouts (although they're my favorite) with that amp since most amps, including the JBL, can't go that high with it's input sensitivity.

Silver_XAT
Unregistered guest
Many thanks to all you gents. Appreciate the help. I think i'll shoot for the JBL 1200.1 and a couple JL 12's. W0 - W3?? Dual or single VC? HU undetermined at this point... I just cant figure out why pioneer makes hu's with such good sub controls and filters and then has 2V outputs on all their units under 400 bucks... Even sony has 5V for god sake with much better sound to noise ratio. Alpines are generally 4V I think. I'm looking for great SQ over ungodly SPL. Any recommendations on a stylin' unit with all the features ya need? 300 is around my ballpark for that. Any help appreciated.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
Please don't joke about purchasing Sony, we here at the ecoustics forum don't want to see you waste your money.

If worse comes to worse, the price of the 4V Alpine HU and a line driver will be much cheaper than your twice yearly replacement of your broken Sony head unit. I bought a JVC SH9700, which I like very much, It cost me two hundred. The only thing I really didn't like about the JVC was it only had 2 Volt pre-outs, so I'm currently looking for an Audio Control 6Ch Matrix Line driver. I'll prolly pay about a 100-120 for it on ebay. I love my JVC HU, and it'll even have all the current my amps need once I pick up the line driver. The only reason I don't get an Alpine is that I don't really like how they look, its a personal thing. They perform nicely, I installed one in a friends truck recently, he loves it. So if you really like the Pioneers, don't be completely turned off by them only having the 2V preouts.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 328
Silver, A JBl 1200.1 will be too much for a JL W0 OR W3. Look at Adire Shivas for that Job, they take 650W RMS. (That's thermal, though, they don't need 1200+ watts) Really a JBl 600.1 with two Shivas would get the job done, and would be the amp to get for two W3's. Also, choose Pioneer over Sony, regardless of preouts, etc. Reliability is a big concern, which the Pioneer will last a lot longer. Sony's 5V is overrated, anyway, you're better off with a 4V Alpine. Donald, a line driver won't help if your head unit puts out a bad signal. A signal is only as good as the source it comes from. It's kinda like you can have the best component speakers and amps in the world, but if you play crappy MP3s on them they will still sound like a crappy MP3s. A line driver is just a voltage amplifier. It will be amplifying a 2V signal, and will retain any noise that there is in the signal, it'll just be amplified noise. It's pretty much the same as turning up the gain of an amp.

Silver_XAT
Unregistered guest
Um, I was thinkin' that the JL w3v2's had an RMS of 300W a piece, making the pair of 4Ohm DVC subs a 600W RMS... That's what the 1200.1 puts out RMS @ 4 Ohms. Not a good match? I thought it'd be running easy not sweating anything being rms = rms
I guess ur saying I'd be better off running the smaller amp at 2Ohms and going with the 2Ohm DVC W3's. My only thought about the bigger amp was that it'd be working a little less running 600W @ 4ohms than the 600.1 running 600 at 2Ohms.
I'm definitely going pioneer. Hopefully I'll be able to up my price limit a little and get the 4V one with the color screen ^_-

Silver_XAT
Unregistered guest
Hey, if you had to buy all this stuff online where would you get it besides ebay? Most of the sites i've found havent really had deals of any kind. I'd like to get the head from crutchfield but I'd be paying way more than elsewhere even though I get the accessories and support

Silver_XAT
Unregistered guest
The question is: What's the best setup? SQ is slightly more paramount than SPL.

JBL 1200.1 @600wRMS @ 4Ohms with 2 JL 12w3v2's @300wRMS a piece.

JBL 600.1 @600wRMS @ 2Ohms with 2 JL 12w3v2 ""

JBL 1200.1 @1200wRMS @ 2Ohms with 2 12" Adire Shivas 4 Ohms wired @ 2Ohm which take 650wRMS a piece

Comes down to, If I get the 1200w amp for the JL's I wont be running the things @ full power... Better SQ? I could get a couple shivas it looks like and they would require the 1200 running at 2Ohms to run the pair of'em. The third option being getting a smaller 600W amp, run it at 2Ohms with the JL's.

Silver_XAT
Unregistered guest
<correction>

Comes down to, If I get the 1200w amp for the JL's I wont be running the <amp> @ full power... Better SQ? I could get a couple shivas it looks like and they would require the 1200 running at 2Ohms to run the pair of'em. The third option being getting a smaller 600W amp, run it at 2Ohms with the JL's.

Sry for so many damn posts

Bronze Member
Username: Southahf

Seattle, WA United States

Post Number: 13
I could be mistaken, but i doubt the JBL amps are really running any of those wattages at RMS. JBL is not bad, but if you are worried about SQ you should go with better amps like Diamond or JL. Both of those companies make quality amps. But then again money is always an issue and you have to pay more for quality.

Anonymous

an average guy that needs head? now that's an original.

Username: Alextoy

Chicago, Illinois

Post Number: 2
power acoustic woofer will blow your trunck,2 fubr seriesss 1800 watts each and a power acoustic gothic 1600 watt amp 2ch, will pay less for system with more bass have'm for 2 years and no problems , looking about less than $600 for all
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us