Warning to new people in car audio world:

Bronze Member
Username: Alpinepower

Canada

Post Number: 46
1. YOU GET WHAT U PAY FOR
2. COMPANIES THAT MAKE GOOD OTHER PRODUCTS GENERALLY MAKE BAD CAR AUDIO (except JBL)
3. WATTAGE RATINGS ARE MEASURED DIFFERENTLY FROM COMPANY TO COMPANY AND MEAN DICK SQUATT
4. Physical dimensions OF AMP IS IRRELEVANT
5. WIRE YOUR SUBS TO YOUR AMP CORRECTLY OR GET SCREWED

Stay away from:
Sony
Crunch
Bazooka
Soundstorm (but not soundstream)
Pyle
Legacy
Pyramid
Boss

use a larger gauge wiring kit because you may upgrade later, only wire once.

Capacitors are a gimmick

Listen to glasswolf in his infinite wisdom or you might as well set your system on fire and throw it into the ceiling fan. (This might also be a good idea for your girlfriends cat)

Bronze Member
Username: Germanguy

Post Number: 41
mostly agree

BUT

1. Capacitors are a gimmick = wrong

2. not everything of Sony & Pyle is crap when you're on a tight budget

Username: Shawnstitt

Cornwall, ONt Canada

Post Number: 6
If you dont like your battery and altenator dont use a Cap... Be my guest dont come crying when your car lights and power windows dont work right when your bass is up.

Also the new sony mono amps ROCK. They have nice clean power (for lower end amps) There not going to be anything like RF or PG but they have good power. 900RMS My kickers run well with this amp. I run 110 dB to 126 dBevery time with little to no distortion/Clipping every shot.

Username: Shawnstitt

Cornwall, ONt Canada

Post Number: 7
126 is my corrent setup. 124 to 126

Bronze Member
Username: Redskin

LondonEngland

Post Number: 49
If your windows and lights won't work with the bass up you need a bigger alternator not a cap. Mind you if 126db's are all you can do you'll just need a couple of AA's to run it. he he he.

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 214
I agree with you 99.9% the only change i would make would be to re-word Caps are a gimmik. The only time caps are not a gimmik is unless you already have a great battery a high output alternator and have a system over 1000W.

droppeddime1
Unregistered guest
caps are definately not a gimmick ....they do serve some purpose ....they do filter "noise " out of they power line, and the help to smooth out the dips in power
but they do not perform miracles
if your headlights dim when u have your system up you need a higher output alternator not a cap

Bronze Member
Username: Jayj

Post Number: 85
Dropped if you would make a more better ground not over 24 inches then you wouldn't need a crappy cap. I have been running a 1200watt RMS system for over a year and never even thought about a cap. I know people that have them. And I don't see any differents. Your alternator is what you need to power the system not a crappy azz cap.

Bronze Member
Username: J_capone

Chicago, IL USA

Post Number: 39
caps do serve a purpose

if they didnt why would they make them..

use your head next time

Bronze Member
Username: Jayj

Post Number: 86
Yeah they serve a purpose. A WORTHLESS purpose. If you need them so bad then why doesn't EVERYONE on this forum have them??????????? Bunch of crap I have installed systems for friends and family and NEVER ONCE did I ever have a need for one. GlassWolf even says their a GIMMICK. If they have good purposes then why would he say that about them and just about every other person here. USE YOUR HEAD NEXT TIME.

Bronze Member
Username: Germanguy

Post Number: 59
no need to start an argument on this one

on a high power audio system using stock batt & alternator you can clearly hear the difference when playing the sub with & without a cap

if people say it's a gimmick, maybe they haven't used a propper cap then or already had other parts exchanged. there are differences in what cap (brand) to use. don't waste your money on a flashy 79$ cap. THAT is a gimmick.
sometimes it's better to use your ears instead of your head. if it sounds better, what other explanation do you need?

once again for a regular system, as most people probably have it, there is indeed no need to have one. for a big system it's a must, let me repeat: a must have, to get the most out of your speakers.

p.s.: the best cap you can actually buy for money is a brax (which is also the company who invented the whole cap thing). be prepared to spend at least 200$ to get one. and for that amount of money, one may consider changing other parts of the car power system first.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 395
A capacitor won't fix a lack of charging power from a good alternator and battery, but if your alternator and batt. are up to par the cap will help with power on demand. Most people buy a cap before considering alternator upgrades, that's why they're recommended against to start with. An alternator is the most important, then a good battery, then a capacitor, but if you can only get one, upgrade the alternator.

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 647
bazooka doesnt make bad stuff...

their amps are decent and their bass tubes are extremely convenient and reliable for those who dont have much room
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us