Port area for a re audio mx 12?

Bronze Member
Username: Wfbass

Stephenville, NL Canada

Post Number: 15
k so i got 2 of these for my car, but iam considering just using one, i already biult a box for one and tuned it at 33 hz but i think i got the port area messed up and i want something with a little more spl. on the re audio box cal i got a box with 2.13 cf after port and sub dis, with port area of 43.75 the port is 3.5" wide. is this any good for one mx 12"? aslo it is tuned at 35 hz

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 10447
Yes that will work. In case you didnt factor it in the re box calculator doesnt figure in the subs displacement.

Bronze Member

Stephenville, NL Canada

Post Number: 16
oh. i was thinking about that the other day, so basicaly u have to take a a bit off the box to compensate for the sub displacement to get the real tuned freq? also what would happen if i just used straight 4 inch pvc pipe instead of the flared one's?

Bronze Member

Stephenville, NL Canada

Post Number: 17
another thing is port volume? does this have much effect? right now the box got 1564 cubic inches...

Bronze Member

Stephenville, NL Canada

Post Number: 18
k wait the port volume is 1771, anybody?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10450
"oh. i was thinking about that the other day, so basicaly u have to take a a bit off the box to compensate for the sub displacement to get the real tuned freq?"

Yeah. In your case id subtract about .20 for the sub.

"also what would happen if i just used straight 4 inch pvc pipe instead of the flared one's?"

The non flared wont be enough port area. The flared will allow better air flow. Ive been told a 4 inch flare is equivalent to a 6 inch standard pvc port. I have seen the 4 inch aeros in action and they do help the air flow much better.

Bronze Member

Stephenville, NL Canada

Post Number: 19
ok, i think iam going to forget about building a box for 2 and just build a better box for 1. i got a box done on the re box page there now. i got everything right. the only thing i dont know about is the port volume, the port takes up alot of the box, about 1 third of the box, so with the sub in the box is 2.078 cf plus the port volume of 1.0249 cf. this sound right?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10452
From my calculations you have a 39.25 port length so with two turns that knocks it down to 35.75 because of end correction. I got 2.15 cf. port displacement.

Bronze Member

Stephenville, NL Canada

Post Number: 20
on the re box calc, i put in 31 for width 14 for height and 17 for depth, wood thickness .75 , port width 3.5, port length 2 21.75. try that and have a look. it says 1771 port displacement, either way is alot of port displacement ok for the mx?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10458
I dont know why im getting 1797 but with internal measurements you have 3.30 minus 1.02 for port you would have 2.28 minus .20 for the sub would be 2.08 cf so it looks like your right.

Bronze Member

Stephenville, NL Canada

Post Number: 21
so this box is one of the best i can make using a slot port? spec wise?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10459
Yeah that looks like a good box for the sub. The port area is fine also.

Bronze Member

Stephenville, NL Canada

Post Number: 22
thanks alot for the help, iam going to build it tomorrow. : )

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10460
Your Welcome

Bronze Member

Stephenville, NL Canada

Post Number: 23
have a look at this oen and lemme know if u think this ones any better,

http://www.reaudio.com/speaker_box/LPort_Box_Calc.html

if the numbers are reset, like they ualy are, then put in 33, 14, 17 , 17, .75, 4, 21.75

the port area is a little higher, its 50 and the tuned fz is 37, and the box is 2.14 atfer port and sub displacement. the only reason iam asking about this is because ive read on a few other forums that people use 60 inches of port area for the mx 12. i trust that u know ur stuff, just wanted to know if u thought this box might be better?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10470
That box looks like it is more of what your looking for. The port area you have is fine also.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us