Advice Needed for wiring.

Unregistered guest
I have a 2004 Cavalier and no intrest in trying to change the stock deck. (I will be seing airbags before I see the deck... silly GM!!!

Initially I had 2 JBL Evolution 6x9's running straight off the rear speaker wires. Worked GREAT, I just used the fader to get more boom out the back when needed. I have now made myself a sub box using a 12 inch sub. I have a Pyramid Crossover Model# CR79G, an alphasonic amp (2 channel x 100 watts rms).

If I wire the rear speaker wires into the crossover, and then the 6x9's into the midrange or the high range off the crossover, and the sub into the amp and then the sub box, all I get is alot of bass and not much out of the 6x9's. Budget is an issue, so im not interested in buying another amp. So what I did is split the rear wires, one to the 6x9's and then the other to the crossover to the amp then the sub. Works ok, but when I crank the volume, it cuts out and I loose quality.

My question is, using a 2 channel amp (100 watt per channel) , 1 crossover, 2 6x9's, and a 12" subj, what is the best wiring config for me to use? I cannot get to the back of my deck, so I am limited to using the existing front or rear speaker wires.

What I was thinking is run the 6x9's off the front speaker wires, and then the amp and sub off the back wires and use the fader as balance control... does this sound good or are there any other ideas, thanks guys I appreciate it!!!

Unregistered guest
Correction. The 6x9's are JL Evolution 3way 6x9's

Bronze Member
Username: Kragan

Post Number: 21
Generally you would want your mid and high range sound in the front of the car, not the rear. So if you could move the 6x9s to the front and then keep the sub in the rear that would be a better idea. I initially had my civic set a similar way. I had 5.25" RF Components in the front with a single 12" sub in the trunk. It sounded great. I eventually put 6x9's in the rear deck and amplified both sets of speakers, but all the 6x9s were was filler.

Bronze Member
Username: Jonnyboy420

Post Number: 30
well, you really should try to get to your head unit. but i understand that it sucks to take the dash apart, i've done it in two different cars i've had. but if you can get it off w/o too much trouble, then you can hook up everything the way it's meant to be set up.

also, do you have a remote wire running from your h.u. or does your amp use another source to tell it when to turn on.

the crappy sound at higher volumes is because you don't have enough power to your stuff. you need to make sure that you give each thing at LEAST half of its rms power. and the x-over will eat some of the power. you really don't need the x-over.

your best option is to get to your deck and run rca's (if it has 'em) to the amp and just use the speaker wires for the speakers. by running the wires to the amp and speakers, your splitting the power. by using rca's you can have full power to the speakers and full power to the sub.

i hope that all made sense.

Unregistered guest
Ive just run my own power to the remote for the crossover and amp, I just use a switch I installed to turn it on and off.

Part of the reason I don't want to touch the head is the 2004 Cavalier is INSANE to take apart, and the head unit drives the air bags and other stuff too... wierd eh? What ive done so far is I have re-wired the front speaker wires back to the 6x9's. The amp, crossover and sub are running off the rear speaker wires. This has resolved the clipping. Like the newbie I am though, I wired the speakers out of phase so I am going to change over one of the speakers to correct the phase problem. Getting the 6x9's in phase will be easy, I am wondering how in gods name I am going to figure out if the sub is in phase too? Should I just listen to which sounds better or is there a proper way for me to figure out the phase? (I don't know which wires are poitive or negative)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
well, i don't know much about when things are "in phase", but usually the black, green, or blue (depending on the colors you have) wire is the negative. but the darker one is usually the negative. the white, red, or yellow (again, depending on what colors you have to work with) is usually the postive.

yes, i would just listen to what sounds best for the sub.

also, i was thinking, does your x-over have one input and it splits the signal into 2, highs/mids
and lows, or does it split it into 3?

and does your amp go full range?

well, i just looked at your eq. the only problem i might see is running wires from the eq to the speakers. all i see is rca in's and out's. and we both know speakers don't accept rca's.

you've got me stumped on how you plan to use the eq. how do you have your system hooked up?(i.e. what order does the signal go through the equipment?) and are you using the front speakers at all? (man this stuff is a lot easier hands on)

Unregistered guest
Got everything working and not impressed with the sub... I'm thinking I'm just going to take it out entirely and save up for some decent alphasonic subs. The 6x9's now sound blown from all my tinkering (probably when they were underpowered). Thank god for extended warrenty, Ill just swop them out tonight.

Also yes the amp does go full range.

SOOOOO I'm going to reconnect the stock front speakers, put the 6x9's back in the back and just stick the amp on the 6x9's. Im going to take the crossover out entirely, its just overkill until I get more speakers. Ya I hear you on the rca's... i just cut the wires and wired them straight onto the speakers... hence me not knowing if the sub was in phase or not.

So how it will be then is... front speakers - stock

Rear speakers from stock Head, through 2x50watt amp... from amp to JL 6x9 evolutions.

This sound ok till I can fork out some cash for decent 6x5's for the front, alphasonic subjs and a decent amp to drive them?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
that sounds like it'll work until you get your sub and new amp, then it might be a little easier to figure out how to set it up all right.

it looks like the alphasonic subs aren't very expensive so they would fit a budget. good luck with everything.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us