DD 9512 Pop Sound

Silver Member
Username: Moey_g

SydneyAustralia

Post Number: 256
I have a dd 9512 in 2.5 cubes at 40Hz on an eAudio 3000D. The sub makes a 'pop' sound at higher frequencies when i have it turned up. At first I thought it was the carbon fibre cone slapping the rear of my boot, well thats what it sounded like anyway. Buy I checked it out and thats not what the sound is coming from.

If I turn the lpf down then the pop disappears somewhat. Right now its set at about 80Hz and the pop is there but its not as bad as if I had the lpf set at say 100Hz.

I have set the gain myself and I am sure that it is set appropriately. This is my first DD sub, so I cannot compare it to other DD subs. Maybe these subs cant play that high? I dunno, I am just throwing ideas out cos I am getting annoyed and running out of ideas.

Could it be the box?

Any other tips on what to have a look at.

Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Stateprop486

PA

Post Number: 1572
its funny u ask this cuz my friend has the same problem but on the lower notes it pops..he made a thread for it today too...i was ridin with him n it popped n he jump like couple inches i chuckled everytime tho cuz i didnt get scared by it.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 10293
Sounds like both cases could be over excursion.

Silver Member
Username: Cplaya280

Pennsylvania USA

Post Number: 952
how can we fix the over excursion on my other thread everybody telling me to try to set my subsonic so it cant play below a certain point to see if that helps with my problem but for Moey's higher notes i cant help out with that mine is on the lower notes

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10295
If your box is too large it can cause over excursion on the low notes so turning the subsonic higher to cut out some of the low notes can help in that case. The other solution is to build another box with less airspace at your desired port tune your at now and you wont have to move the subsonic filter up. As far as the other case on the higher notes you can have over excursion from too much power because the further away from port tune you get the less control your sub will have. You can also have over excursion from too small of a box or even acoustic reasons. If you want an example move your box around to different locations and watch the excursion amounts on the song using the same section of song in one position vs another. Some can show minor excursion changes while others can show a huge change.

Silver Member

SydneyAustralia

Post Number: 257
So its possible that the problem is too much power? I thought the 9500 can handle 3k no probs. I guess I could be wrong.

Silver Member

SydneyAustralia

Post Number: 258
Attached is the box design I used. I have heard that the port width may be too small? Any thoughts on the box? I used 25mm mdf (1 inch)
application/pdfUpload
2.5_at_40Hz_for_single_12_or_two_10s.pdf (61.4 k)

Gold Member
Username: 04redmach1

Es DEALER, GA USA

Post Number: 2298
I know when I was a DD dealer, 3K was too much for a daily application. I would go no more than 2K to be safe. Alot of the problems were that the spyder loosen up so much that it started knocking the top plate. IMO, you just have too much power on that sub and over excursion is going to be the death of it.

Kevin

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana 3 DD3515s, 2...

Post Number: 6657
Is the the sub moving alot when you hear the pop?
Your box may have some loading issues.

Pull the sub out of the box and play it free-air...see if it makes the sound then.
It could also be clipping.

You may want to try that sub in 2cuft net.

Silver Member
Username: Ridinspinnas

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 429
well if its hitting the high notes too much just turn your frequency down, and listen to some 3 6 mafia lol

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 22166
the part where the spider touches the cone could be ripped. a couple of competitors that use DD had the same issues.

Silver Member

SydneyAustralia

Post Number: 259
As it only happens with certain notes, I am assuming Kevin is right in saying that 3K might be too much power. I have turned down the gain for now to see if I get a repeat of 'pop'.

Thanks all for your help.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10305
Moey...."As it only happens with certain notes, I am assuming Kevin is right in saying that 3K might be too much power. I have turned down the gain for now to see if I get a repeat of 'pop'.

Thanks all for your help."

Me...."As far as the other case on the higher notes you can have over excursion from too much power...."

I said it first.

Silver Member

SydneyAustralia

Post Number: 260
********EDIT*********
As it only happens with certain notes, I am assuming Sean is right in saying that 3K might be too much power. I have turned down the gain for now to see if I get a repeat of 'pop'.
\

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.5 DBsTrinidad & T...

Post Number: 14128
used to have a 9512

around 3k u have to be very careful - look at ur box design & settings , keep gain & BB at 0 !

sub is rated 1500wrms so 3k is kinda risky & u shouldnt play it for too long - nice to have that power for spl burps....

Silver Member

SydneyAustralia

Post Number: 266
Rovin: '..keep gain & BB at 0 "

Keep gain at 0? Whats the point of the amp :P

Lol jkz. Yea I understand what your saying. Thanks for everyones help.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 4751
Funny because I had my Treo SSX and no matter how hard I tried and under any power I could not bottom it out, suspension was that stiff. My 5200 makes a weird noise under high excursion and it isn't bottoming out, sounds more like the cone flexing. I pulled the sub, put machine blue on the bottom of the coil and ran it until it made the noise. I then pulled the top off and inspected the blueing and it was unscaved meaning it mever hit so it isn't bottoming out maybe just a weird suspension/cone noise? Polo..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us