Smokin' Amp !!

Username: Eaglesplyr77

Post Number: 3
I have a Hifonics Txi 1508D. I hooked up the RCA's, remote, bass boost, power and ground wire. I recently took off the fuse on the power wire because it blew so many fuses and wired it directly to my amp. The ground wire is sufficient but not excellent. So anyways i turn the sucker on and i have it wired to my 6x9's. So i am playin the song with my gain turned all the way down, 180 phase on, and bass boost at mid. So the i hear this high pitched noise and suddenly static and fuzz. I turn the car off and go back to my trunk and my amp is slightly smokin'. So i disconnect the 6x9 and turn the car back on to check that my amp works and it still does. Does anybody know why it did this?? i am thinking it is because i had the gain at the lowest setting. but i have no idea. please help me out !!

Gold Member
Username: 04redmach1

Es DEALER, GA USA

Post Number: 2196
Well first off, you said that you have blown many fuses. What size fuse? You know that a fuse keeps from what happened, happening.

Next, look for a new amp, cause it is screwed.

Kevin

Silver Member
Username: Turnmat

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 767
x2

Bronze Member
Username: Neptune07

Grand Junction/Golden, CO

Post Number: 85
get someone more knowledgeable on car audio to set up your next amp for you. the reason for fuses blowing was most likely directly related to install

Post Number: 4
ok well the AGU fuse on the wire was 80 amp. which was to protect the wire not my amp. the amp has two 60 amp fuses and a protect mode. It DID NOT go into protect mode, over heat, or blow its own fuses...ever. I have the RCA, remote, and bass boost ran together. and power on the other side. the ground is grounded correctly. i am sure that it wasnt due to install. i wasnt abusing the thing or even pushing it. the d@mn thing just started smoking !!

Post Number: 5
BTW does anybody think i should contact maxxsonics about this?? i am thinking about getting it checked out by a car audio shop tomorrow .

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 768
Sure contact them. All in all i would just save up and get a new (better) amp

emphasis on better

Post Number: 6
alright so this morning i unplugged all my connections and checked the fuses on the amp. The fuses were fine and plugged everything back in. The power light came on and i hooked it up to my 6x9 but nothing happened. So i am assuming the amp is fried even though i have had it for 6 days.

Gold Member

Es DEALER, GA USA

Post Number: 2198
Your amp is burnt up bud.

You had too small of a fuse, that is why they kept popping. Your amp was trying to pull 120 amps when you were only going to let 80 amps through. Therefore it pops to keep from overloading your amp. The fuse did its job, but you killed it when you took it off :-(

Kevin

Silver Member
Username: Bonhamd

TC, MI USA

Post Number: 892
ya - def not a good idea wiring batt to amp without a fuse

Post Number: 8
well i thought that since i was popping the 80A fuse with gain down on my 6x9, how was it supposed to draw for two subwoofers ? I thought the fuse on the wire was supposed to protect the wire not the amp, the two 60A fuses are on the amp to protect it. BTW i am talking with a guy from Maxxsonics right now.

Gold Member

Es DEALER, GA USA

Post Number: 2199
No sir, the inline fuse protects your amp. The fuses on your amp sometimes catches issues, but will not help in a direct current issue 99% of the time. You need to match inline fuse with fuse rating on amp to be safe.

What did the Maxxsonic guy tell you?

Kevin

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 769
I am selling a Hifonics Bxi 1607 if your interested. It is a step up from the TXI line that Maxxnics has.

Silver Member
Username: Ridinspinnas

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 321
lol you know whats even better is when you touch the power wire against the negative of the battery, its pretty entertaining kinda like wat happened with ur amp instead of a smoke show ull have fireworks...see how much M wants for his brutus and get that until u get cash to get a nice amp

Post Number: 9
maxxsonics guy told me it must have been a faulty amp. he told me to contact the store i bought it off of and get a replacement or send it to him for repair. So i sent it back for a replacement. Hopefully the new amp wont do the same. If i can get the new amp to work properly should i go w/ 2 Alpine Type R's ?? Oh and i think i am gonna put the fuse back on the wire. haha. just in case.

Silver Member

Post Number: 103
click on my profile and you'll see the system i'm running. i can put up a vid also if you'd like to see how the type r's perform in the set-up i had them in

Post Number: 10
yea if u could put up a vid that would be sweet.

Silver Member

Post Number: 111
http://youtube.com/watch?v=MgyDb6MKOjc

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1pbx4NQKUyI&feature=related

try those out
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us