Fixing surround...?!

Silver Member
Username: Spankinurwoofers

GR, MI US

Post Number: 386
Just bought some type R's from some guy, and the surround on one of them is partially off. It's not ripped or anything, it's like the glue just failed. and btw, they're the older ones, that don't have the ribbed surround (if that helps).

Can I just glue it back on??? if so, what kind of glue (adhesive...w/e) should I use? Also, how do I keep it centered (it's more than half off the cone)

Any help is appreciated!

Silver Member
Username: Teamrevolution

ATLANTA, GA USA

Post Number: 315
You have to go to home depot or something like that and buy some rubberized glue like goop or of that nature.

Did it come of the cone or the basket or both?

Silver Member

GR, MI US

Post Number: 387
Thanks, anything you know of that works better than others? and the surround just came off of the cone.

Silver Member

GR, MI US

Post Number: 388
Any certain way to keep the cone centered??? or should it just line up, somehow?

Silver Member
Username: Teamrevolution

ATLANTA, GA USA

Post Number: 317
It should line up, just try to keep it were it was. The spider should keep everything centered as long as you attach the cone real close to were it was.

Goop will work fine , just make sure it is rubberized. When you attach it take your time and press and hold it with you fingers until it bonds good.

The glue will need 24-36hrs to fully ready.

You want to use enough but if you use a ton it will get all over. Make sure you got a rag or something to get the extra off if it gets all over the cone.

Silver Member

GR, MI US

Post Number: 389
sweet, thanks!!! Just picked up some 'amazing' Goop. ...Will gluing the surround back on change anything about the sound or performance of a sub???

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 17500
"Will gluing the surround back on change anything about the sound or performance of a sub???"

If done correctly nope. I replaced a surround on an Eclipse and a trick I used to clamp the glued surround down tightly was to use an extension cord and many clamps. Worked well.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/355935.html

Silver Member

GR, MI US

Post Number: 390
Great idea, thanks Paul! ...though, after reading that thread, you used the extension cord for the outside of the surround, think it would work the same for the inside of the surround?

...then I gotta find a ton of clamps, lol.

Bronze Member
Username: Beamerboy46350

LaPorte, IN United States

Post Number: 76
That was an awesome job done on that eclipse A++ on that tutorial
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us