Need Help Picking Amp

Username: Campione

Post Number: 1
Hey i just recently bought two 10 inch comp vr kickers for my 08 scion. Looking to buy everything separately and then have it installed by a friend. Looking to spend around 275-350 on a pretty good amp. Was looking at the kicker ZX850.2 but wasnt sure if that would work or even be good for the subs. Can anyone help me out. Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 9827
it depends if you bought dual 2 ohm subs or dual 4 ohm subs

A pair of dual 2 ohms can be wired to .5 ohms or 2 ohms and a pair of dual 4 ohms can be wired to 4 ohm or 1 ohm

A kicker zx 850.2 is good if you have dual 4 ohm subs but you may want to consider an audioque 1200D its a good quality amp that will be more efficient than the kicker amp because its a class D amplifier and they provide excellent customer service and a warranty and will provide more power for $249 should you decide to upgrade in the future.....The subs are rated 300 rms each but you could set the amp gain conservatively with a digital multi meter to provide the power you want them to get

http://www.audioque.com/aq/order.htm

Frequency Response 20Hz--250Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio 100db
Low Pass Crossover 24db / Oct
Low Pass Crossover Range 20Hz--200Hz
Subsonic Crossover Range 10Hz--50Hz
Input Sensitivity 0.2V--8V
Output Master / Input Slave Connection Yes
Working Voltage 8V---16V
Efficiency @ 4 ohm 84%
Damping Factor Less than 150
Fuse Rating 40Amp X 3 (Linked 240 Amp)
Output Power 14.4V @ 1% THD 510X1 @ 4 ohm,
870X1 @ 2 ohm,
1200X1 @1 ohm
Output Power 14.4V @ 5% THD 1470X1 @ 1 ohm
Dash Mounted Remote Included
Dimensions 12.75"(L)x9.27"(W)x2.35"(H)

Post Number: 2
ah i should have posted the ohms im sorry. They both are 2 ohms each and the max rated amp power on them says 400 Watts. could u recomend me an amp for the 2 ohms ones? Thanks sean

Gold Member

Post Number: 9831
I think the audioque 1200d I listed above would be a good choice and set the gain with a digital multimeter to the power you want them to receive at a 2 ohm load....also there seems to be a difference of opinion on ebay on the power amounts they handle....some say 300 rms each and others say 400 rms each what does your literature say

Upload

Post Number: 3
for the kickers? the box says exactly Max Recommended Amplifier Power (watts RMS) 400
Then above that it says Max Recommended Amplifier Power (watts peak) 800

Gold Member

Post Number: 9832
ok I would also like to mention a kicker zx 750.1 ....the amp is under rated so it puts out more than 750 watts at 2 ohms it costs 198.35 shipped from the link below and its refurbished but it comes with a 2 year warranty

http://techronics.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=3917&aff=7 2182

Gold Member

Post Number: 9837
rms power is the rating you want to pay attention to by the way....in case you didnt know

Also what kind of vehicle is this going in

Post Number: 4
its going in an 08 Scion TC..small trunk room but their only 10 inches so they should fit

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Portland, Or

Post Number: 4036
That Audioque would be perfect and it would allow you a little headroom on power if you ever wanted to step up a little and run 1000rms-1200rms @ 1 ohm.

And as sean mentioned, always go by rms power rating and never max rating.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9840
if what I found is correct you should have a 105 amp alternator so depending on how you play the system and whether you run an amplifier for your highs you may find you have light dimming at night or at idle....if this becomes an issue you may want to upgrade your alternator to something that has a higher idle amperage and max rating

Silver Member
Username: Ridinspinnas

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 327
zx1000.1

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 3753
Always try to go with D class mono amps for subs. Its all about efficiency less stress on or charging ssystem.

Check these out.

Kicker ZX500.1(2ohm stable)
Rockford P600.1(2ohm stable)
Phoenix Gold X600.1(1-4ohm stable)
Phoenix Gold RSd600.1(2ohm stable)

If it was me I would get the AQ1200D and run it at 2ohm set gain correct. So when that day comes and it will come when your setup just isn't as loud as it once was to you. Now is when that 1200RMS at 1ohm will come in handy.

Silver Member
Username: Ridinspinnas

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 334
Or the zx1000.1

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 3756
Alpine MRP-M850
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts