JL 500/1 Amplifier for 2-12" Type Rs

Username: Omair8

Post Number: 4
Okay here's the story: I got 2-12" Type Rs (SWR-1241D the old 300W RMS versions) that came with sealed boxes. The amp i used to power them was A Cadence TXA-3002 600W RMS 2 channel amplifier. I switched from sealed to ported (ported box specs: 2.3 cu ft before sub and port displacement and tuned at 40Hz) and ported didnt really sound that great so i was thinking the box was not made correctly and it was made from alpine specs. I've been told my amplifier is not giving enough power to my subs and that my subs are being underpowered and am only getting maybe 300 ish watts to both the subs. I was recommended to get a JL 500/1 to put less strain on the system (stock electrical system with aftermarket battery) and that i was told it would pound these Type R's much harder. Now im confused if i need to upgrade my electrical system or will this JL 500/1 v2 amp help me out? Help!

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 5389
first of all, tell us the size of your alternator.

IMO 500w rms is a good amount to run when using stock charging system, the JL500/1 is a great choice and go for it.

Post Number: 5
The alternator i have puts out 75A i believe. And i was told by another forum to get a bigger box first and that my current amp should be good enough.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5391
well you're just improving quality not quantity of power.

You should get a bigger amp just in case you wanna upgrade... that's my opinion cuz seriously... 40HZ is high.. maybe check your box DIMENSIONS, but i think that's enough.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5392
I FORGOT TO TELL YOU... first of all try changing for a bigger alternator.

Post Number: 6
I dont wanna spend a ridiculous amount for an alternator. Im going with trying a bigger box first.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 9822
ok from what I see those alpines are dual 4 ohms so with two your running either 1 or 4 ohms bridged....what amplifier do you have

Post Number: 7
Each sub is wired separately for 2 Ohms. And i have the Cadence TXA-3002.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 9833
so you have the amp bridged correct....also what is the fuse size in that amp im curious

Bronze Member
Username: Mario_silva

COATZACOALCOS, VERACRUZ MEXICO

Post Number: 26
go for a 2 ft3 box for each driver and keep the 40 hz. they have to sound louder with the same amp.

Bronze Member
Username: Mario_silva

COATZACOALCOS, VERACRUZ MEXICO

Post Number: 27
actually i do own a vw bug 1973 with a 55 amps alternator feeding a US AMPS MD3D 2000wrms and i just have upgraded the ground to 1/0 gauge, i got a kicker 1/0 gauge amp wiring kit thats it...no need to change the alternator bud.

Post Number: 8
No the amp is not bridged. And i think its 60A fuse in the amp.

I cant fit 3.5ft&3 max in my car for both drivers and that doesn't include port and sub displacement.

And Mario, that's awesome, cuz i really dont want to change the alternator!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us