PRoperly setting Gain, Sub Out Level, and crossover level and settings

Username: Beamerboy46350

LaPorte, IN United States

Post Number: 9
What excactly is the correct way to set these things? I do not have an oscilloscope but i have a Digital multi meter. I have blown 3 subs and an amp in the last 6 months after doing alot of reading on here im 100% sure ive been "clipping" Currently I have a brand new kenwood KDC-635, A soundstream amp model XTA880.2 which is
# RMS Power (4 ohms): 220 watts x 2 ch.
# RMS Power (2 ohms): 440 watts x 2 ch.
# RMS Power (1 ohm): Not Stable
# Bridged RMS Power: 880 watts
# Peak Power Output: 1760 watts approx.
# Min. Impedance Unbridged: 2 ohms
# Min. Impedance Bridged: 4 ohms

and a prefab bandpass box made by dub mag audio for 2 12's and 2brand new cuspid
12" 600w max subs and a pyle subwoofer crossover model PLXR-2 the head unit has a sub out control of -15 through +15 then the crossover has a "variable gain adjustment no numbers just like a 180 degrees of adjustmentit says level then it has a 3way switch for crossover point of either 50 90 or 180 hz then a bass boost of 12 db on or off at 45 80 or 120hz then the am has a gain control plus high and low pass filter and another 18 db of bass boost can antone help to tell me how to set all these things properly I was setting them all at like 75% but as ive went through 3 subs and an amp im inclined to think i was wrong N E HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED

Bronze Member
Username: Basshead4life

Iowa

Post Number: 14
this time keep that bass boost off, with it on max (presume u had it maxed) it sent more power and heat to the subs causin them to blow, ok first off set your hu to 3/4 of max volume, set your gain with a 60 hz 0 db tone or 50 hz 0 db tone, since most dmm's are accurate at that frequency, put sub level on +15 so u get all your head units preout voltage for a accurate signal, put crossover at 50 hz or 90 hz, if using the 50 hz use a 50 hz 0 db test tone and raise gain till u hit what your subs rms rating is, and keep that other 18 db bass boost off, ur bass will be much cleaner.

i had a soundstorm amp and it was a remote gain, it had a 0-18 bass boost switch to it and it wasn't variable.

hope all this info helps

Also what is your subs RMS rating?, if u tell me that i can tell you what you need to set your gain too in volts.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us