Powering a 3000watt sub at 1ohm, help plz!

Username: Esprit

Post Number: 1
I have this sub:

Audiobahn 1208Q 12' Subwoofer
12" 1500 WATTS RMS POWER, 3000 watts max
DUAL 2 OHM VOICE COIL NE
1/4 OHM OPERATION

Should I power it at 1ohm or 4ohm? Id rather just buy a monoblock amp to power it at 1ohm. Is this a good idea?

What WATTAGE do I need from a monoblock amp? Specs on amps dont list what RMS power is at 1ohm, so Im confused.

For example, would this amp power it:
http://www.bossaudio.com/main/817

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 6281
that sub is only 1500w, you go off of the rms, never the 'peak' or 'max' ratings. and it'd be cheapest to run it at 1ohm. and yes you'll be best running a mono, and without clicking the link i'll say pass on the amp as i can see it's for boss.

post a budget. and i'll say it again, imo go with a sundown saz1500d. on sale right now at www.soundsolutionsaudio.com for only $425 shipped. that is if it's within your budget (which you should post for better recommendations).

Post Number: 3
Thanks, that helps

Why are boss amps no good? I owned one years ago and never had a problem with it

Gold Member
Username: 04redmach1

Columbus, GA USA

Post Number: 2055
Boss actually wasnt horrible back in the day, but now along with many other companies, were bought out and built like crap. IMO. The sundown 1500d would kill that sub honestly. I would go with a good 1000d. Save you money and keep your sub running alot longer. Are you running this sub in a audiobahn box as well? I can help you with sundown or rd products. Shoot me an email if you will and I will see what I can do for you on a 1500d or 1000d.

kevin
lowhz01@yahoo.com

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 3672
AudioQue AQ1200D $249 1200RMS x 1 at 1ohm

AudioQue.com

Post Number: 4
Thanks. All this is helpful.

Kevin, and others, why would I power this sub at LESS than 1500 watts rms? What do you mean it would kill the sub? I heard that underpowering a sub is dangerous. Underpowering it 300-500watts less RMS seems dangerous

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1585
underpowering a speaker isn't dangerous. As long as the amp's gain is set correctly - the least amount of power to get the desired output is always the best way to go.
Underpowering damaging speakers is a myth the uninformed continue to perpetuate.

People are recommending 1000w amps because audiobahn subs are notorious for being damaged with rated power.
Besides - going from 1000w to 1500w isn't a huge audible difference, but it is a large thermal difference. The trade off of output (minimal) vs the increased likelyhood of damage (significant) isn't worth the cost.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 5365
i think if you sell that sub you could grab a good pair.

Silver Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 474
AQ1200.. great underrated amp.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7784
Hahahaha if under powering was dangerous your sub would blow every time you turned the volume down

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 17152
"I heard that underpowering a sub is dangerous. Underpowering it 300-500watts less RMS seems dangerous"

Opti and M.S. hit it on the head. Lower power tends to push ppl into maxing out the amps settings to compensate for lack of output. Doing that causes distortion and clipped signals and THAT damages the sub. Even at 50% power a distorted signal can fubar a sub.

Silver Member
Username: Hittin1

Lake Charles, La. United States

Post Number: 477
have you eer heard an AQ1200? Well I dont think that but a select few Might have any bad thing to say about that amp... It is one of the best deal s anywhere for the quality and power.. .AudioQue.com FTMFW!!! If you really wanted to improve the systen you would sell your subs and get a great solid Sub or two that will outpreform those Audiobahn then build a box for them to specs.... You will thank us l8r.. I promise.... good luck bro

Do it right the 1st time ad save time and $$$ . Learn from some of our mistakes...Including me!

Post Number: 5
Thanks everyone
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us