AQ1200D problems with clipping/gain set.

Gold Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1624
So after having my AQ1200D installed for a few weeks and trying everything I can think of, I am stumped!

Well first off, I'll start with gain issues. When I was setting my gain and turned my SSF up, my voltage went up, even when playing tones that were higher and nowhere close to the SSF alignment. it shouldn't even effect that.Is there something I don't understand because I fell retarded asking this.

Also, my amp remote has a clip light. When cranked (music in general, not the remote or gain), the higher frequency's clip and low freq's don't and there is a noticeable gap between (gonna say 35hz vs 50hz). What I mean by that is, the lows/35hz don't come to life until the highs are just unbearable.

Second, when my sub is unhooked and I crank the gain, why does the clip light go on? Wouldn't there have to be a load on the amp before the amp could be technically "pushed into clipping"?

I've went through my HU and checked everything could affect my amps signal. I even disconnected it to completley reset it. My head unit is a Pioneer DEH-P 3500 if it makes any difference.

If anyone can make sense out what I'm saying, please gimme some input. My only other thought of correcting this would be to invest in a crossover.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7585
Set your SSF a little below the tuning of your box and don't worry about that anymore.

Then do this.
Do the procedure to set the gain properly with the DMM, but try using a few different frequencies i.e. 40 hz, 50 hz, 60 hz or similar. You should get the same reading with each. If you get different readings, somethings wrong with the input signal, probably the HU is doing something to the signal to make it not flat.

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1626
At different freq it is different, the lower the tone the lower the voltage.

My DMM broke a few days ago, it was a cheap one my uncle picked up (flea market quality). So All I can do is use my clip light on my remote as a source of measure.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7595
Then ya need to get a new one, can't troubleshoot much of anything without it.

If the readings are in fact different then the input signal is pissed up. Something on the HU has to be altering it. EQ, loudness, bass boost, everything has to be off or zeroed.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 5361
maybe your dmm was cr4ppy and didn't do the job properly

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7632
Highly doubtful. What you're hearing, no lows, and what you measuredm lower frequencey = lower voltage, are consistent.

Something wrong with the signal going to the amp. Unless you've got an EQ, crossover, etc it has to be the HU.

Check the settings for a HPF setting.

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1659
The only setting I have on is my HPF for my speakers, and it cuts them out around 80hz (has settings for 50, 80, & 125hz). It has a (+) and (-) adjustment but I left it flat at 0. The SLA shouldn't mess with anything should it, I'm under the impression that it equally rises the output of the HU?

I was going to go get a DMM yesterday, But before I left my whole town lost power so I couldn't get any money from the bank.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 7640
What HU do you have and whats SLA?

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1660
Pioneer DEH-P 3500

SLA stands for Signal Level Adjustment (I think?) It seems to adjust the HU output as a whole, like an overall volume control that you "set and forget" type of thing.

Silver Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI United States

Post Number: 833
are you talking about slave? because then yeah leave that at 0.

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1673
My HU doesn't have a slave option.

OK, so today I messed with it some more. Well I think I completely hate this amp so far... I don't know where to start.

1. I got the voltage up on the 30hz region, but now it's higher that the 50hz area. By adjusting the gain it did some odd things.

2. I set my SSF to around 28hz, but the sub still moves like a mofo on 18hz. Make any sense? Not to me, 18hz should be non-existent.

3. I don't think my HU has anything to do with this, but it has a retardedly sensitive volume... between the HU being on 54 and 55, there was a 4volt spike in amp output. Kinda retarded I'd say.

I am so sick of my whole setup. I want to get a new sub and HU so bad, but I hate giving of on something that seems like it's suck a simple fix, but it's just plain retarded. Bought a sheet of MDF today for my next box, them I'm gonna see if I can put everything in one of my friends car (amp and sub) and see if everything is still retarded. I never had these problems with my last setup, so it must be the amp

Gold Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 1700
So I have came to the conclusion that either these amps suck, or mine is defective. I think I'm gonna send an email to AQ and ask if any of these problems make sense. Something like turning the SSF filter up SHOULD NOT indicate an increase in voltage anywhere in the frequency range of an amp. If anything the voltage should drop as the SSF is turned up (once it reaches that certain freq).

Anyone think there is something I am doing wrong?

Silver Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 919
Ive been beating my AQ1200 since I got it and haven't had a problem yet!

I'd contact AQ ASAP to see if they know something about your problem.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us