Test session in progress: DD, IA, ,RD and Termlab inside.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana 2 DD3515s, 2...

Post Number: 6376
Well, me and NickV are in the process of testing a some new equipment.

We are testing his new Heavyweight 15.
Also comparing RD1750 vs IA20.1.
We are going to also pull one of my 3515's and try it in his current box.

Results later.

Silver Member
Username: Basebalz13

Moneta, Va Usa

Post Number: 475
sweet looking forward to it

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 9171
im looking forward to it as well

Gold Member
Username: Mgbcs

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 2479
So what exactly does later mean :-) Later today or is this a project for a later date?

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2142
It better mean later today!

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodia

Post Number: 3936
nice, can't wait.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6377
Well, we didn't get as much done as I hoped...but here are some results.

I pulled the O-scope out and scoped the IA 20.1 and RD1750. Both in my truck w/ 3 Deka 9a31's on my DD3515's at .38ohm DCR.

These #'s are at just below clipping. The wave-form is TOTALLY clean, no clipping at all! (These #'s will be bigger if you drive the amps into light clipping or full out burps)

IA 20.1:
47hz--- 45.5V --- 34.5A
1.32ohm rise --- 1569.8w
150.6dB

RD1750:
47hz --- 39.4V --- 21.0A
1.88ohm rise --- 827.4w
148.6dB

AGAIN...these #'s are with a TOTALLY CLEAN WAVE! You can get much more out of these amps in light clipping.

Actually the 20.1 could have taken another notch or 2 on the volume and not really been "clipping". The leading edge of the wave was just starting to get jagged at Vol 26 and actually was alil off-rounded at Vol 27-28, but not really clipped. I can play music/tones at Vol 28 and you can't hear the clipping. Measurements where taken at Vol 25.

The RD1750 was clipping lightly at Vol 26 also, but again I measured at Vol 25 for VERY a clean wave.

Voltage was dropping to ~13.1-13.4 on all burps w/ the 20.1 and RD1750.

Now, on the the Heavyweight 15".
Before I really even begin to talk about it, I will say this:

Apparently the HW15 DOES NOT like the box built for NickV's old DD9515d. Even though the 9515 did very well in this box...the HW15 didn't.

So...HW15:

In Nick's car w/ an HC2400 on 1 RD1750 at 1ohm DCR.
The DD9515 used to peak at 53hz w/ 148.2dB, but the HW15 is liking ~46-50hz.
HW15 SPL: 141.3 :-(
Yea, messed w/ my head too.
I didn't check box rise and power in this setup though.

So, we did 2 runs of 14ga speaker wire ~8ft long from my 2 IA20.1's in the truck to NickV's HW15.

Scoped the amps clean at 50-53hz...and the HW15 didn't like it at all. Sounded like it was bottoming out. I dropped the freq to 46hz and scoped it again.

Clean signal...2222.7w at 3.87ohm rise...148.2dB. Same as the DD at 53hz on 1 RD1750.

W/ at rise of 3.87ohm, I'm guessing that 1 RD1750 is just not doing for this HW15. lol
But w/ the 2 1750's and another box, I can see 149+ out of this 15.

So, looks like its time for a new box w/ the HW15. Smaller box and higher tuning are on the way.

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Team Revolution

Post Number: 3653
try 3 cubes for the hw tuned pretty high, as they are nasty stiff subs. good results canaan. those 1a 20.1s are beast amps... was the 2222.7 watts both of your ia 20.1s or the 1750?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6378
2222.7w was 2 20.1's at 3.87ohm rise from 1ohm nominal.

I'll get some power #'s posted from all out burps w/ the 20.1's later.

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 3571
Nice

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Team Revolution

Post Number: 3657
wow that's agood amount of imp. rise. =( yeah and I think the 1750 will just barely tickle the hw =( they need a lot of power lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 9183
"they need a lot of power"

X 2...for sure...and from what ive seen from my bros subs they seem to like things a little different than the typical sub...and I agree a smaller box than what I think your using the dd sub in should improve things for you

Gold Member

Post Number: 6381
Its pretty common to see 2.5-4 times your nominal resistance on imp rise.

As for barely tickling the HW...the 20.1's bottomed it out at some freq. (55hz)
This box is just not right for the HW.

Nick is supposed to talk to RD about what they think. I was thinking ~3cuft w/ 1 6" flare or 3 4".

Gold Member

Post Number: 9185
how large was the previous box...and im thinking 3 4 inch standard ports will perform better than one 6 inch flare...the 3 four inch flares will probably give you a few tenths more than non flared 4 inch but using non flared is cheaper to try unless you are smart and use something that wont require you to cut up your aero ports and just use the flared ends

Silver Member
Username: Teamrevolution

ATLANTA, GA USA

Post Number: 276
You can not physically bottom the HW out, It is impossible.

There is something else happening. With that motor it cant happen due to the clearances. The spiders would have to rip off to bottom out.

Did you take the plastic film off the t-yoke? Sometimes that makes a flapping noise that could sound like its bottoming out.

We have guys running more than 20k to them for bursts and 5-7k RMS.

Silver Member

ATLANTA, GA USA

Post Number: 277
I also beleive nick had the amp running .33 ohms before and now is at 1 ohm.

But one 1750 is not enough, Id bet the subwoofer looks like it is barely moveing.

Even with two of them you are only at RMS power.

Still can't think of anything that could make that noise. I would like it if someone could give me a call later to go over the box and other things.

Because If the film was removed something is deffinetly wrong with the sub or box.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6382
Steve, the sub looks great.
And in another box, I bet it will perform great also.
I was just saying that it is not doing well in Nick's current box.

Even when Nick first told me he was getting a HW15, I said he would need to rebuild.

I have flared ports sitting hers waiting, and I'm looking forward to rebuilding :-)

I will say this though. On 2 20.1's strapped at 1ohm w/ a 55hz note...that thing was MOVING! (2.2k scoped clean)

Once we get that box down to size and raise the tuning, Nick will be in business.

Oh...and BTW, that RD1750 was pretty strong. I like the smaller footprint. I could have easily got 149-150 out of it in my truck w/ my daily setup.

Silver Member

ATLANTA, GA USA

Post Number: 278
thanks,

Just not sure what noise he is getting. I asked him to take it out the box and see if a tinsel came up from the spider or something.

But on 2-3k that sub really shouldnt be moving on 50hz tones. Unless with that box it was unloading or something like that.

Sombody called me today and said that there was a post saying the 1750.1 only does 850w so i had to look. But i see it was almost at 2 ohms. LOL

But for that sub to move off that power makes me think it had to react funny to the box and unload. Unless there is something wrong with the subwoofer.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6383
Yea, I want to get to the bottom of this too Steve. I would like to see Nick doing 150-151 w/ that HW15.

I have 4" and 6" flares here at the shop waiting to build. All I need is the word from Nick.

As for ~850w...
If you look back at my second post, you can see that is on a VERY clean waveform. Literally what I would call clipping would be about 2 notches up on the volume from where I tested.

The only reason I did that is because of all the outrageous test #'s I have been seeing from people 'testing' amps here lately. I have seen that about 7 out of 10 people are clipping the hell out of amps when testing them. And alot of them are setting DMM's to peak hold. That is where I see a bunch of highly inflated #'s coming from.

Had I tested w/ the amp just into clipping, I would guess ~1100-1200w from it pretty easily.

I'll get some sketch-up's of Nick's current box up later.

Hit me w/ an email if you get a chance.
I lets figure this thing out.
Audible.Insanity@gmail.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us