General Box tuning Vs. Sub specs Vs. vehicle freqs.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3925
Just trying to get a better grasp on the tuning thing.
Ok, ppl say to tune your box according to the subs parameters. So a sub that has a Q of say 30, a box should be tuned to 29. Correct?

now ppl say that to achive spl scores, a box should be tuned to vehicles resanant freq. So if a car has a res freq of say 45 (the test tone that produces the highest reading for any given volume) Shouldnt the box be tuned to that? and then where does a subs specs fall into that situation?

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3929
bump for info?

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 9170
the frequency that is the guideline for daily tuning is called the fs...if you want to tune a speaker for the loudest possible spl (single frequency) you find your vehicles resonant frequency and tune 5 hz or less from that frequency...ive been told you can tune a box to a given frequency and the vehicle with allow 8 hz below that tune but I think that can vary...also I dont feel a sub has as much quality sound to it when it plays below its tune in that situation...the subs specs can be used to get an idea what box size sealed should be used or what box size and tune should be used in a ported box or bandpass box should be used...bandpass technicly has the greatest potential for the most spl but from what i understand it has a greater risk of damage to the subwoofer...ebp rating is a system used to determine the ideal box type for your speaker

EBP = Resonance Frequency / Driver Electrical Q

or EBP = fs / Qes

50 or less = Sealed / 4th order Bandpass.
50 - 90 = flexible enclosure options.
90 or greater = Ported / 6th order Bandpass...

you use a program like linearteam to model your speakers performance in a given enclosure...the program is only a guideline and not 100 % accurate even if you know what your cabin boost amounts are in your vehicle
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us