Looking for 6.5" Comp speakers, RD?

Gold Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Team RD, Canada

Post Number: 1641
Test tones with speakers is not a good idea.....I'm pretty sure I blew my front right 6.5" Helix Advantgarde mid bass and am looking for something to replace them, I will keep the Helix tweeters up front though.

Anyways does anyone run any of the RD alpha comps? What do you think of them?

Looking for recomendations for a set of 6.5" components I think I will toss the tweeters in the rear for ghits and siggles.

Thanks

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 20745
i ran them real quick. they are very nice sounding comps. i really like the way the tweeters sound.

the rd55.4 is a perfect amp for those.

Gold Member

Team RD, Canada

Post Number: 1642
Awesome, thanks Chad!

I have a Helix Dark Blue 4channel:
60rms x 4 @ 4ohm.

My buddy might want to buy it from me as he bought my Helix 1000.2, so the amps will match. So I am kinda looking for a 4 channel but I want a little more rms....

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20747
the alpha comps don't requier alot of power to get going. thats the beauty of it. i had it on 55wrms and it got loud.

Gold Member

Team RD, Canada

Post Number: 1643
Good to know as I definitly like the option of going "loud"

Would you reccomened any other set over the RD in the same price range?

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Team RD, Texas

Post Number: 2850
I'll be running the same set of alpha comps, by the end of today hopefully. everything came to a hault last night when I dropped a necessary screw in the engine bay:-( hopefully I can find it today....

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 2073
DLS comps ftw!

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20748
i don't know how much steve is giving you the speakers for. i am not allowed to discuss it.

dls are awesome too. i heard their lower end lines and they sound clean.

Gold Member

Team RD, Canada

Post Number: 1644
Yeah I have yet to get a quote from him, hopefully today.

I have never heard of DLS, where is a good reputable place that sells them so I can look into it.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20749
www.mobilesq.com sells it.

for more info on dls here is their website www.dls.se

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 2074
http://www.mobilesoundworks.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=253

Or ebay has great deals on them.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 5030
Team DLS for the win, me and you Chad, still waiting to buy your DLS amps :-)

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 3943
If I was in the market for comps right now, which I am not because I love my Hex... I would grab the JBL C608GTi MKII. JBL put their pro-sound speaker technologies into this line (2" edge wound coils, rubber surrounds on mids and tweets, patented vented motor, pure titanium domes) and they are not playing around.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5031
^^ .. for the money you can beat the JBL C608GTi MKII .. I've been telling Chad to try them for months haha :-)

I still love my DLS but if I ever wanted a change I'd run those.

I've heard many setups with them and they are just amazing :-) .. the mids are like mini-woofers.. only thing I don't like is the harshness the tweets have. You may have to go -3dB on the slope depending on where they are mounted. But I don't know of any metal tweeter that doesn't get harsh.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20756
yeah kevin i know. lol. here's whats gonna happen in the near future. if i decide to take out the backseat again and run 2 revo 15s then ima buy another set of the ur65 i have now so i can have 2 sets in the doors. but if i decide to stay at a single sub setup in the trunk, then nobeliums here i come.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5032
just get the nobeliums.. youll be shocked :-)

but beware, you'll need more power :-) .. ive known people to run 500rms per nobelium mid.. of course most of that is for headroom but they will eat 150-200rms per mid

i need to throw more power on mine.. 75rms on each one is just not enough

Silver Member
Username: Goodie_goop

Mid town, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 901
yes chad, get the nobeliums :-)

Gold Member

Team RD, Canada

Post Number: 1648
Those JBL's are about $320 shipped to me (canada) on Ebay......

Not sure on the harsh tweeter aspect of those JBL comps. My tweeters now are fine, it's just my one mid that's blown.

The nice thing that I like about the RD speakers is that Steve is a really good guy to talk to and I don't have to worry about getting scammed...lol

One question I do have it about the X-overs. Would I be safe in using my Helix X-overs with another set of speakers? Or should I just swap the X-overs with the new set?

Thanks again for all the help so far.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5036
if the x-over points are the same yes, if not you need to use the x-overs that came with the other set

...if you did use the ones you have it is not likely you'll have any issues but if the x-over points are quite different you could damage the tweets although its not likely unless they are playing some low frequencies.. i can't imagine they would x-over them that far apart if any at all

you may notice a difference in sound as well, if they are not x-over properly it may not sound correct.. they are designed for the components for a reason :P

Gold Member

Team RD, Canada

Post Number: 1650
good point....lol

Yeah 100% the front mid is blown she likes to make scratching sounds when I push it in.... :-(

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Team RD, Texas

Post Number: 2861
got my mids in, almost everything is ready to go, hardest part looks like finding a place to mount the tweets....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us