How do u increase the volts output from the headunit? HELP!!

pacaveliiiii
Unregistered guest
hi their i have a sony headunit not sure of the volt out put its something like 2 volt???. but i want a increase the out put of volt thats goeing to my am how do i do that im thing to get a crossover or a equalizer?? please advise me thanks. and lastly what would this do to my amp out put will it increase it????

annonymous
Unregistered guest
get a alpine hedunit..hmmm yes that should do it!

Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 6
Or even better get a kenwood excelon 5 volts much better then alpines 4 volt output.

Anonymous

NO don't get kenwood they are junk. try a Alpine or pioneer.

Anonymous

No, Don't get a kenwood they are junk. Try a Alpine are pioneer.

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 7
Why is kenwood junk? When you post something have some reasons to back it up besides you saying I know.

pacaveliiiii
Unregistered guest
hey people calm ur horses!!.. i dont want to change my headunit!! so please adise me something that i will do.. their should be a way to get around this

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 8
You can get some line drivers.

Anonymous

You can't change that man. That is what the company set it for unless you reall know what you are doing and open it up and change the settings in the radio. And dsugg01 kenwood is crap you should try reading some reviews on kenwood then you may know what people mean when they tell you something isn't good kenwood products are overrated and they really don't last long at all. To really be honest they remind me of sony.

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 9
Well my new kenwood way outdoes my alpine that I have. I have a kdc-x879 now and it out did my alpine 7995 in all aspects. So show me some bad reviews on the radio that I have.

Anonymous

Give me your addy and I will bring my system and show you the bad reviews.

duff
Unregistered guest
what all does the volt output mean anyway. im trying to figure out if i should get a 4 volt or 2.5 volt

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3317
Sony really is a lousy product, but that aside, if you want to boost line voltage, use a line-driver.
partsexpress.com or crutchfield.com should sell them.
www.audiocontrol.com makes some very nice ones if you want something a bit higher end.

as for kenwood, poor reliability, just like sony.
4V or 5V isn't going to make a huge difference. If you want a really strong line voltage, try an Eclipse with 16V line-outs. Also keep in mind that many amplifiers and signal processors can't accept anything above 4 volts.

Bronze Member
Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 46
ok you said 4 - 5 v are no difference but is a 2 or 2.5 up to a 4volt a big difference??

it seems like it would help but you never now sometimes things are just there to catch your eye..

-DUff

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 232
Alpine's 4 volts is underrated, anyway. They usually put out a good bit more than 4, I've seen the mid-line put out over 6V. The Alpine F#1Status says 4V too, but puts out 9 Volts before clipping. A lot of the 2V head units are overrated, just like "50x4" on the front panel, it's usually rated as a peak voltage that will never be attained.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3329
yup. you want 4V pre-outs.
anything below 4V is noticeable.

pacaveliiiii
Unregistered guest
thanks people very usefull info.. i think im gonna get my self a Phoenix Gold PLD 1 (Line Driver.. its gonna cost in the region of $100 what u think about this? will this do any good? or im i wasting my money?

Braminator
Unregistered guest
Just get the Eclipse 8454 with 8 VOLTS whooohoooo!!!

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3336
that's a lot to spend to fix a Sony.
I'd sell the sony and go buy a better unit to begin with.

Username: Jiggaman3105

Post Number: 2
yea...get the pioneer premier deh-p860mp...the best deck iv had so far, in appearance and alot w/ performance, and im only 17. check it out, u would love it. it has 6.5v pre-outs, hah! although i am thinkin about selling it and buy an eclipse avn2454...cant beat that!

Bronze Member
Username: Sploosh56

Post Number: 82
Yea sell they sony to one of you firends or somehthing and save up some money and get yourself a nice alpine reciever. You will be a lot happier.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3371
while we're all telling you to sell the sony, you're probably thinking "ok generic sony bashing and bandwagoning" but let me explain the reasoning, beyond the opinion that sony isn't that good.

if you have a weak line voltage, a line driver is only going to amplify the noise along with the signal, decreasing teh s/n ratio some, and keep in mind that the actual resolution of the signal won't be improved.. like enlarging a JPG image, while the image looks ok at 100%, when you go to 200%, suddenly the image looks blocky and not as tight. This is a similar approximation to what happens when you take a weak source signal and try to boost it instead of starting with a strong source from the head unit.
If you had a head unit with strong line voltage from the start, the source signal will be at a higher native resolution, and you'll get better detail and a cleaner signal to the amplifiers.

make sense?

anonymous1
Unregistered guest
Also just to add, there are several head units out there (clarion, alpine to name 2) that only use RCA outputs, this tends to free up the limited space inside the head unit for more quality components, and generally generates less heat. The alpine 7998 comes to mind, you can get one on sale at crutchfield for $399

Technik
Unregistered guest
Just to try and answer the guys thread... Buying a new H.unit will give you more power... However what your probably looking for is a new amp ... a change in H.Unit will not increase the outputs of your amp.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us