Overheating Problem, Advice Please

Username: Dcallahan

Post Number: 3
whats up guys
i have 2 kenwood 12" xw1225db's running a 4 ohm load to my 1200 wat kenwood kac-1023 amp. They have been working fine for the past 4 months but recently the amp has been overheating. Since the weather is much hotter now im guessing that the amp is overheating because i'll be playing music and the subs will just stop playing. Then i pull the car over, open the trunk, and the amp turns back on again. i have checked if it was going into protection mode but it wasnt, it was simply turning off then turning back on when it cooled down.

what can i do to prevent this?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3311
a: it's a kenwood amp, which means poorly made, and badly designed.
b: could be the mounting position or location
c: could be the power cable gauge
d: possibly a poor ground.
e: could be a lack of current caused by a weak charging system.
f: gains could be set too high.
g: did I mention, it's a kenwood?

Username: Dcallahan

Post Number: 4
actually the amp is amazing
but yeah my dad, the presidnet of a kenwood distribution company, helped me discover today that it was because the amp was mounted up on its side and since heat rises, the power supply- also at the top of the amp- was over heating thus causing the amp to cut out. i mounted it flat on the floor and it works like a dream. thanks though!
not

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 231
Like Glasswolf said, poor design. Amps are side mounted in a lot of applications, and Kenwood should think about that. He did mention mounting position, by the way
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us