Effectivness of a solobaric L7 DVC 4ohm at 8 ohm???

Cesar
Unregistered guest
i got a punch 500S 2channel fosgate amp and as per the manual it runs, at best, a 4 ohm stable in bridged mode giving bout 500 watts RMS x1. i then goofed up and bought a solobaric L7 dvc4ohm. as i do the math that means i will have to wire it in series at 8 ohms... my question is simple... will i get HALF the power to the sub now???? or should i try to get rid of it for a 2ohm dvc to run it in parralel and get the 4 ohm total which the amp handles?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3306
yes you'd get half the power.
yes, return the sub for the dual 8 ohm or dual 2 ohm version, or get a mono amplifier like the JBL bp600.1 or kicker kx600.1 for the sub you have now

cesar
Unregistered guest
so I am guessing running the amp at 2 ohms will be a BAD idea?

Anonymous

It will be fine to run it @ a 2 ohm load but ONLY if the amp is 2ohm sable. If that amp is 2 ohm sable then you can use this diagram wire it in parallel and it will still hit hard.

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wi ring.html?subs=1&impedance=DVC4x2

cesar
Unregistered guest
yeah thats my problem... the amp is rated at 4 ohm min. in bridged mode... i was hoping someone would know if this fosgate could pull it off or if i was gonna burn it out...its the RF 500S (2ch.), by the way

Anonymous

If you run it @2 ohms you will not be able to bridge it you will just have to run it to 1 channel. I just found the specs on that amp it is 2 ohm sable but you will get 250watts RMS the that sub instead of the bridged 500watts RMS but I think it will still bumb pretty hard with that.

RUdown
Unregistered guest
what is sable???

Anonymous

stable smartass
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us