Are subs directional

Trunkbass
Unregistered guest
I have a JBL bass tube in the trunk, and I was wondering if there was any difference in sound acording to tha sub placement in the trunk. It has a port in the back of the tube. So if it does matter, wich way should my sub (or any sub) be facing?

Silver Member
Username: Bdb_86

Bemidji, MN Usa

Post Number: 150
it always works best to just play around come up with some creative stuff just see what you like best

Bronze Member
Username: Alpinepower

Canada

Post Number: 40
Bass is supposed to be omni-directional which means it doesn't matter in theory, however

1. Subs aimed backwards hit off the dense barrier of the back of the trunk causing a 1/2 phase shift, this is the most common idea

2. Aiming the subs up in a hatchback, van, suv gets good air movement, in a trunk you are aiming pressure at something that wants to rattle.

3. aiming the subs into the car, I dont get this, but if it sounds good......

Play around!

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 279
With a tube it matters a little more. Corner loading is recommended with most. Just move it around and see what does best.

Silver Member

Bemidji, MN Usa

Post Number: 154
you mean a tube with a port right?

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 282
As far as subs being omni-directional, it only occurs at lower frequencies. Once you get upward of 100 hz, the source of bass becomes more and more focused. I always recommend getting a solid midbass up front so you can allow your subs to be crossed over lower. That'll help the front soundstage a lot. Many cars sound a lot better with subs aiming into the car. It's the same as in a truck, a lot of times the rear seat will provide air pressure, and the seats won't rattle like a trunk.

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 283
Yeah, a tube with a port. Almost all tubes are ported. The fact that tubes aren't earth shattering bass makes the placement more critical.

Silver Member

Bemidji, MN Usa

Post Number: 155
o ya the only tube boxes that i have ever seen with out a port were the ones that i made http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/547269/2

o and i had always heard that it was 60hrz and lower the subs are omni-directional but what ever it is true though that it only acurs at a certan frequensy and lower

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 293
60 hz is a pretty standard recommendation. I've had them around 80 without killing the front soundstage. There's no specific frequency, a lot of it depends on the car, the components that are used up front (and what they are crossed over at), and your ears. I was mainly pointing out that 100+ is when it gets really noticeable.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us