Jl Audio W7

What kinda amp should i get for one 12" W7? I was thinking about getting a rockford fosgate rf x6. Do you think that would be good enough?

teflondog
hey jason. first off, nice sub man. it happens to be my personal favorite. it has superb sound quality without compromising spl. well if you have that sub, then you owe it to yourself to get a better amp than a rockford. check out the jl 500/1 mono amp. it's underrated and actually puts out between 550-600 watts. i guarantee you won't regret it. after all, if you have a sub by jl audio then you might as well get a matching amp right?

Whats so bad about rockford amps? And when you only make 700 dollars a month becuase im still 17, and 300 goes to a car payement, its kinda ruff waiting that long becuase the jl audio amps are pretty damn expensive : (

teflondog
you can find jl amps pretty cheap on ebay, sometimes even cheaper than rockford. i'm not saying rockford amps are bad, i'm just saying that a jl amp would compliment your sub better. i have many punch amps myself. i like the features they offer.

I found my 500/1 at http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/caraudio/

It's $419 at the moment. They have the Rockford you mentioned listed at $399, so not any real price difference. At 3 ohms (what your single W7 will run at) the Fosgate will be pushing ~600 watts, the same as what a 500/ will do. The 500/ will do every little bit it claims it will, while you have to wonder about the Fosgate. After all, they claim 1100x1, but that is only at a very low ohm load. JL audio will answer any and all questions you may have, including about set-up and system integration (I've e-mailed them about simple amp settings, and got a response back in less than a day). Fosgate had it's day, but now it's Best Buy, mass-marketing hype. Custom Sounds in San Antonio all but told me as much (and they still carry the amps, the arsses). Go with the JL. Or buy Sony's amp, it's all the same. I just bought a JL Audio 12W7 Prowedge, and would have never even considered a sub from Fosgate, Alpine, Infinity or all the rest (besides Alpine's HUs). Their offerings are all the same, sub-par. Nice sub choice, Jason, just believe you should go with the JL.

what would be a good price for a pair of 12w7 subs? what type of amp should i look for with this sub? Also what is a capacitor good for?

David
that's the new 12w7's not the old one's

what do you think about ppi amp? im plannin to get a 15 inch titanium eclipse subwoofer and a pcx2200 amp. what do u think about that ?

i bought a jl 500/1 amp for 460 brand new. i was runnin it with the jl 12"w4 it was loud shook my whole car but it didnt sound that nice, i want bass that passes sloww not those quick beats. what do you reccomend?

septik
Are there new w7's??? I just got a 12W7 Prowedge (~$850, but that was from a local shop)that I'm driving with a 500/1. It sounds great, and quite a bit louder than two old Kicker 12"'ers I was running. Plus it's about a third of the size of my old box, so I get my cargo space back. If you're going strictly for SQ, this is the box. If you want more output, look at the W7 H.O. series boxes, but it is alot bigger.

anyone know where i can get a GOOD deal on a some W7's.. either two 10s or one 12... ive finally got the money to spend but i wanna be smart about it.. any help.. thanks

teflondog
discountsjungle.com is a good place to start. ebay too.

septik
Dave buddy,

I don't think there is a "new" W7. Just the original. If you know different, let me know

Thanks bro...

Hey I Have A JL 12w7 in a pro wedge box a jl 500/1 amp a tsunami 1.0 farad digital cap and was wondering if any one was interested in them send me an e-mail if you are

I had a 500w Memphis powering 2 crappy 12" rockfords and it sounded kinda bad, Then i made the change to a JL 500/1 And it was amazing it was a complete difference, Know i have a 98 ranger its hard to fit anything, But im got a 10" kicker solo baric L7 With the 500/1 Custom in behind my seats i cant wait to hear i also have
JL XR 2way Comp. speakers for my door and TR's
5x7 for the rear i have a e1250 under the driver seat powering the XR and just the Alpine deck powering the rears (you can get some mean mid bass from those XR's)

Dude, listen to me my friend... A JL W7, is a monster fu#$in sub. It is a beast, A BEAST I tell you, awesome awesome awesome, but it cannot be awesome by itself. It is very power hungry. It needs a shitload of power to run it correctly to its potential without damaging it. Underpowering a sub can cause damage because the magnet doesn't have adequate power to control the throw of the sub, its like power without direction. This is the problem you will run into with any of these dumbass recommendations for a sub amp. If you want the cost efficient route, you should not have picked a w7 to shop for a sub amp for. If you want rockford, and its ok if you do, cuz they do offer good power per dollar, you need at least, I MEAN AT LEAST the db1000. Should have db1500. But becuase its a JL W7, I would recommend a JL 1000 or and Orion HCCA275. But these aren't cost efficient. What I would do if I were you, a boy with a kickass sub and little money, I would go to ebay, and find someone selling an old Orion Digital reference 2100, and sacrifice the cosmetic looks of the thing and open up to HUGE HUGE HUGE power (like 2000 watts...of controlled RMS power) without emptying your pockets. This amp is old, but kick total @$$ great. Old means cheap, do it, listen to me on this one. Just don't let your family sue me when your heart stops beating from excessive bass body abuse. Later bro

bryan battles
hey good choice. i have had my JL/12 W7 for about a year& i run there JL 1000-1 in my 96 gmc jimmy. best #'s to date SLAP COMP. 151 DB. TRIED MY FIRST USACI comp last night 9-27-03, boomers aduio tusla,ok. i was in b stock only did 149.8 with new JL AUDIO BOX I BUILT WIYH THERE SPECS. was disappointed,going to use old box design was much louder. JL 1000-1 amps are great don't get me wrong, but in USACI going to need a lot of power.i got beat by CRX running 2 DD'S and about 2000 watts he did a 155.7 db's

ROD
I have 2 12" W7's in 2 seperate V-TECH boxes.Right now I have 2 punch 1050s amps bridged [one on each sub] Hits pretty damn hard but I think it should hit a lot harder.So my question is;Do i need to change amps or do i need to change subs? Please recommend other brands and include model #.I'm not rich but i dont mind spending money in order to get the sound I'm looking for!!
Please Help!!!!
ROD

Anonymous
im thinkin about purchasing one 12"w7 or audiobahn 12" AW1200Q or the 12" audiobahn flame, the one that puts out 2200 watts max. what is the best way to go?

septik
Rod, the Power 1050S is only stable at 4 ohms when bridged to mono. The W7 is a three ohm sub, so your fosgate is probably kicking in its Nomad overload protection circuitry, so you are not getting the full rated output. I don't know, however, how much the amp lowers its output. It could be a little, but it could be a lot. The other thing could be the V-Tech boxes. You'll get more output from a ported box, but you need almost 2 cubic feet for each enclosure. If they are sealed, you can get by with less space, they will hit a little deeper, but your spl will fall off. I would try your boxes on a friends amp that you know will be stable at three ohms, and figure out what the amps are actually putting out at that three ohms. Most amps power ratings are given at their lowest stable ohm level. An amp rated at 1000 watts @ 1 ohm will probably not even come close to that 1000 watts at 3 ohms (except JL's 1000/1). If no improvement, I would build a ported box to JL's specs (you can find construction diagrams in the 12W7's spec sheet) to see if that will help. You may find you need to change both amp and box. My one 12W7 is massive, your two 12W7's should just about cave your chest in.

Hey ,i am in the process of buying 2 jl 12w7 . i was wondering if 2 jl 1000 watt amps would sound extreme . and if not wut should i consider doing to my system?

Jazz
hey back again, or i was thinkin of getting 2 1000/1 amps, 2 300/2 amps for both of my 12w7

ROD
Septik-Thanks 4 the info. Believe it or not an installer suggested this setup that i have.You sound like an expert and speak very knowledgeable about systems so i have another question 4 u.Is there any other amp you would recommend to push my W7's??? The same installer said he would swap my 2 1050's for 1 JL 1000/1 amp,and swore it would hit harder than both my 1050's ,of course now i'm kinda skeptical of him in light of your info. so do YOU think that's a good trade or am i about to be suckered??

hello septik. canada callin. i know very liitle about
car stereo but here's my question. if i were t go with a 12W7 (based solely on yr exoert opinion) what corresponding amps and speakers should i get...i drive a 1995 mers 500S. thx pal...prem

septik
Rod, I would go with the 1000/1. That amp will push a solid 1000 watts anywhere between 1.5-4 ohms. Just be sure to wire your subs in parallel, and you should be good to go.

septik
Prem, I can't get too specific on the S500, because I'm not sure of the speaker mounts and sizes. I'll just tell you what I'm running. I have two pair of Diamond Audio S600a separates, with each set driven by a separate JL 300/2. I've had DA separates for years, and have loved every set. Of course, try to listen to all the speakers you can, and get what sounds best to you. My sub of course is a single 12W7 being driven by a JL 500/1 (I wish I had the 1000/1, but the 500/1 is adequate). My head unit is an Alpine CDA-7897. It has some very sophisticated EQ, x-over, and time delay settings that can do amazing things for the overall sound of a system. I'm not anywhere close to being a car audio expert, but I hope this helps.

I just bought 2 new 13w7's , i have a 1999 mustang coupe, I have a power acoustic OV21600, its a 1600 watt amplifier, will this amp power atleast one of these woofers??
Also does anyone know if its possible to fit these subs into by small trunk with out spending huge $$$$, on a custon enclosure???
THANX, ANY RESPONCE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Tony Ngo
I also have a JL 13 W7 but only one. I am powering it by a Pheionix Gold Titainium 1000.2 (1000 Watt) and its going in my 94 Honda civic hb. I got a 200amp alternator and a 3 farad cap. Do you think my amp is ok for the W7? You guys dont talk much about pheionix gold is it a good amp? thanks

Tony

adam, if u bought em in the box that jl manufactuered whcih im sure u did u should try 2 leave it in that box becuase jl makes those boxes to the specs of the w7 but other than that i dont know what 2 tell ya about it if they wont fit

liquidennis
I have a 2000 model Rockford Fosgate Power 1000a2, and this was back when Fosgate was one of the top amps around. I'm going to use it to run a single JL 12w7 powered by 2 1-farad Voodoo capacitors. Does this sound like it would be a decent setup? I just don't want to invest the money on the best sub around if I'm only going to kill it by underpowering it.

MEXXX
Just a FYI tidbit on caps.There are only about 3 cap manufacturers that make the common 1 farad round caps and others.All the 1 farad caps on the market just have differant labels on them but in fact come from the same places.So if you can find a cap for 50 bucks with a name on it you have never heard of it is still better than paying 200 bucks for one that says somethin like rockford fosgate on it.

Mexx- So which caps are better?? Most people I've seen run rf caps. Does it really matter??

Septic- You seem to be very knowledgable. I have questions I need answered. This is not about the w7's but these questions are refering to the older models w6's.
Which is better sealed or ported enclosure??
Cons and pros of sealed and ported???
Will the JL Audio 1000/1 overpower 2 12w6's???
What do you think of the Focal separates??
Will the JL Audio 300/4 be good for the Focal separates??
Thanks.

I was looking into getting a 10W7! i was looking into aduioban but i heard they can hold a candle to the W7. I just had 2 quick queastions. Would the subwoofer fit in this box..... http://www.subzoneusa.com/images/t-101%20dimensions.jpg
And the other queastion was would to of these beast be over-kill..and does anyone have 2???

MEXXX
Overkill??????????WTF is that?But seriously,to answer your questions,no it wont fit in that box it isnt deep enough and no 300 of them wouldnt be overkill.You might kill someone with that many but thats another story.And if your gonna spend the money on 2 10" W7's its worth the extra couple of dollars to get the 12"s.I mean if your spending that much money you might as well go all the way.Oh,and buying a crappy box like that for those subs is kinda like parking an astin martin on the street in the middle of winter.

indiglo5997
what box would you suggest? Im only going for 10's because i have a singe cab 91 silverado so i dont have enough room for 12's.

MEXXX
???????????You might be hard pressed to find a prefab truck style box that will fit that sub.In your situation I wouldn't even suggest the W7's.There are plenty of qualty speakers out there for alot less money that will better satisfy your needs.

indiglo5997
What do you suggest i was looking at the W7's because i want people to here me coming and i want my mirrors to shake when they hit. But at the same time i also want quality i jyst dont want a woofer that can shake the hell out of my truck but sounds like crap i want the best of both worlds! Got any suggestions!??!

MEXXX
There is a plethora of quality products on the market,JL audio being one of them.If you really like the W7's and have the money I say go for it,but look around first.I wont get into which subs I think are good because I will be here all day.Some things to remember if you decide to go with the JL's.The mounting hole diameter is 8.74" and the mounting depth is 8".You also have to leave an extra inch behind the sub so the motor structure can vent properly,which makes the mounting depth 9".If you go with a sealed box,I recommend a 1.25 cu. ft. enclosure,and if you go with a ported box I suggest 1.5 cu. ft. tuned at 36hz.

Bubba Deetz
I am just getting into car audio, but I have located a great site. http://www.nexxon.com It was a refrence from a friend who bought his system for his Escalade and I will be purchasing everything from this guy. No shipping or tax charge plus a full warranty. I may be new to this, but I'm not paying over-inflated prices.
NEXXON ROCKS in my opinion. Bub

indiglo5997
mexx i would love to know what types of subs you suggest or like i got time. what kind do you have!??!

T
MTX is better and cheaper take a look the 9500 12 MTX has 4" excursion while the JL has 2.8" The MTX pushes alot more air and are what louder without compensating SQ. Did I mention they wherecheaper. For the price of the JL W7 12 you can get a MTX 9500 15" and that thing oh my good really cannot compare it will pound and pound and the W7 wont even come close no matter how much power the MTX will kill it take a look http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/headtohead/w7.cfm

MEXXX
They are both awsome subs,but I would have to go with the MTX 9500's.

I heard that the mtx suck! this isnt my opintion this is just what i heard from tones of people. i dont know if this is nessesarly true but thats what i heard. What do you guys think about the volfegestin i can remember the name right now but the red german brand subs. My neibor has 2 "12's with an EQ and they sound hellaaaa good. Does anyone know anyhting about them???

Anonymouse
If he is the same guy that told you the MTX 9500 sucks he's smokein some serious crack.........DONT LET HIM DRAG YOU IN MAN,THATS A DARK PLACE YOU DONT WANT TO BE.Seriously though,if you can get that sh*it for free than yes,its good.But if you actually have to pay more than 99 cents for it your getting ripped off.

T
MTX kicks a$$ for one JL W7 you can get 2 9500 and you wont be able to breath in your car they will be so loud so clear so so so so oh its beautiful.

muahha
Well MTX really kicks JL W7 a$$ in power, but for the sound quality, JL W7 kicker MTX a$$++.

Anonymouse
There is no such thing as SQ at 160db.Trying to achieve good SQ a those levels is like hunting rabbit with an RPG.

T
Well everyone has their own opinion but when you compare facts the MTX is bigger louder more powerfull more excursion and most important CHEAPER + all that other stuff. Thats what makes it better then the W7. Muahha you say that W7 has better sound q then MTX maybe 1 on 1 which I dont think so but lets say you are right. For one JL you can get 2 MTX and turn them down and have good SQ and turn them up and have them be loud. Either way the MTX is louder and better sounding for the same price or cheaper.

T
My set up

MTX 81000D
MTX 9512

= very NICE all for 500 bucks all of that. JL 1000 bucks sub 1000 bucks amp = $ 2000. For that I can get 4 of my amps 4 of 9512 and that will be insane.

I WIN

or you could get a Resonant engineering HC($250) and a JBL 1200.1($259) for 510 bucks, which would be cheaper than getting the mtx 8100($300) and the mtx sub for around $400+. and it would blow it out of the water in SQL and SPL.

I WIN

nomad40
the JL audio 12w7 list $750 got mine for $600. same as MTX 9512. i run stock 96 gmc jimmy 1 JL audio 12w7 1 JL 1000-1 amp 1 hooker audio 1-1farad cap 1 yellow top battery 1 powermasters 200 amp. alt. no dynamat daily driver. best #'s to date SLAP COMP. 151 db's with old box. new box 153 db's. it sounds good, for just music or crank-it up either way very nice subs & amps.bryan b. oklahoma .SLAP member 03-000543 at least go check them out first befor you buy.

T
Yeah Resonant is nice stuff but the 9500 is no joke that thing hits hard and you can compare the JBL to the 81000 you know that Derek. Anyways not many people know Resonant so it loses its value. I bought my MTX for 340 I know for a fact that in a 6 mounths I can sell it for 450-500. Anyways I dont want something insanly loud and I have an MTX amp so I got the MTX woofer. Iam puting it in my Jeep Wrangler so that MTX is more then enought. And 9500 is better then the JL or Resonant. Looks better too.

T
Oh and I spent about 230 AMP 340 sub = 570
I got much nicer stuff then JBL or Resonant. The 9500 is best out there.

I WIN

4 SHO

1. of course you can compare the JBL to the MTX, the JBL provides great power for a great price.
2. if you didnt care about loudness, then why do you keep raving about how loud ur sub is. get a life.
3. Resonant kills the 9500 in every aspect a sub can have. how can you say the 9500 is better when it doesnt perform as well as teh RE HC? try to actually make sense with what u are saying next time

septik
Just to clear a few things up concerning the 12W7 vs the 9512. I keep seeing this '4" excursion' thing being thrown around for the 9500 series. This is simply how far you can manually push and pull the woofer. JL does not even publish this number, because in both cases it simply does not matter. I can guarantee you will not bottom out either of these sub's voice coils. It has nothing to due with the actual performance of the sub. You should be looking at Xmax. For the 9512, Xmax is 25.5 mm. The 12W7 is 29 mm. The surface area of the MTX is 83", while the Jl's is 84". What this all means is simple: the 12W7 can move more air than the 9512, thus able to hit deeper at a higher SPL. Sure the MTX is cheaper, but is it louder and better sounding than the W7? Absolutely not. You just have to decide if the extra performance of the W7 is worth the extra $200-250.

T
Derek I resepct you opinion. I practecly compared everything I got to your chart in another thread but dont tell me to get a life. Iam 17 I got to school and I got 1 subs you are who knows how old and you are on this forum all the time. But anyways I like my MTX setup. It sounds good and I think It sounds and looks better then the JL. I didnt want to go to loud but If I did I could have bought 2 Orion H2 15" But after hearing 1 MTX 9515 I though this is way to loud so I bought the 12". Sure there is stuff out there that is better then mine but there always will be and I know that and still want to pretend that mine is the best. And I will argue mine is the best because its mine.

T
Sorry about spelling I didnt double check it.

yeah, i understand that, and i know i may get a little out of hand on this site, as a couple people know from past experience :) but yeah, the JL does have a better xmax and there are subs just as good, if not better that you can get for the same price, thats all im saying. lol, as long as you like what you got thats all that really matters. just try to do some research before u go saying that its better than everything, especially when you are goin vs one of the highest quality, most well known manufacturers on the market today(JL).

T
Yup

mike
hey does anyone know whats the db on 1 jl 13w7?

zac davis
mike, i checked jl's specs and it doesn't mention it's spl.
hey, septik?, yes i agree xmaxx is a vital part of the subs potential to displace air, however, if it's motor structure can't keep the vc from overxcurting then the vc diameter and height(xmaxx) aren't the only thing to look at. do you agree? look at the magnets driving force as well, right? btw, the vc in a 9500 does use flat wound wire which gives it unique characteristics. it's obvious though that all of us realize these are all great subs. i'm partial to dd however.
ps any other installers here?

mike, it isnt possible to tell what the exact db level will be if you buy a 13w7, it all depends on the install. box size, type of box, vehicle etc...

zac davis
mike, do u want to know the "db" (sensitivity,1w/m), or were you wondering how many db's it will be in your car?

mike
i want to know the sensitivity and i have a 1990 honda accord and the amp i'm planning to use is the jl 1000/1. i already had the whole car dynamated.

Anonymouse
When you check specs for the sensitivity of a sub make sure you look at the 1w/m spec.Some try to fool you with the 2.83v spec because it is a few db higher.

zac davis
sorry mike, i can't find it, if you don't know by next week i'll ask our jl regional rep, Wayne Brown, he'll know for sure.

septik
Of course, Zac, you are correct. I did over-simplify things a bit. Specs can only get you so far, but in the end, especially with all the proprietary tweaks going into today's speakers, you gotta just sit down and listen. And, BTW Mike, the sensitivity on the 13W7 is 86.3 dB (1W/1m).

Hey... i recently purchased a new pioneer face.. .. and 2 way pioneer 150 watts to the front speakers.. n' 2 4way pioneers for the back.. i have a lexus LS 400... i was wondering what kind of sub and amp you would recomend.. my price range is about 12-1500 for subs and amp alone.. im interested in clarity and loudness at the same time.. any ideas??

Cam
Hey, i also recently bought a JL Audio 12w7 sub and i need to find the right amp for it. I'm runnin short on money so i cant buy the jl 500/1 mono, but i was lookin at some others. what do you guys think of a Fosgate Punch 301M
300W x 1 Mono Car Amplifier. what would you recomened me get for no more than $150.

Cam
i just found a great Rockford Fosgate H16005 Power 600.5 Car Amplifier what about that for powering a JL Audio 12w7. looks good to me but i need your imput before i buy. cam

Hey!!! I'm building a box for either two 10"inch w7s.....or one 13"inch w7....what do you think I should do???

Also...how big should this box be in order for it to sound PERFECT!!!

Thanx so much

Anonymous
Which would sound better, two 10" w7, or one 13" w7???

Anonymous
you need 1000 watts minimum period and please don't go with sony ever, it may provide the power but it won't provide the quality.

rosebudd
Anon,

To ask which sub system would sound better 2-10w7's or 1-13w7 would depend an what type of music you listen to, vech type, amp,ect. ect. . If you desire output (spl) 2-10w7 in a vented enclosure will sound as good as one 13w7 in a vented enclosure, and would need just shy of 1.5 cubic feet of airspace with around 800-1000 watts needed.

PEPE
I GOT 3 w7 jaja
with 3 jl amps

Anonymous
I have a couple of suggestions for all who are asking questions regarding JL products.

The best amps for the W7 speakers are the JL amps.

1. The JL Amps Have an "Intelligent" Power Supply that gives you all the power at any impedence, from 1.5 to 4 ohms.

These speakers are three ohm speakers and most amplifiers have to be run at either one or two ohms to get their rated power. When you drop an amp to two ohms, you double the distortion and cut the ability of the amp to control the speaker (damping factor)in half. At one ohm, the distortion quadruples and the damping factor is cut to one fourth.

Why buy a great sounding speaker like the W7 and ruin it with a distorted amp that's only giving you half or a third of the power it's supposed to!

2. The JL amps have a regulated power supply.

No matter how much power everyone out there thinks they're getting, unless your amplifier has a regulated power supply, you have to remember something. Voltage in a car is up and down, never steady. Even if your V-lt Meter or Cap Monitor tells you you're getting the proper voltage, it's measuring an AVERAGE voltage. Amplifiers don't see the average voltage. They can only use the "Dip" voltage, which can be two or three volts lower in come cases!!! Time and time again I have found the Dip voltage in most cars to be under 11 volts! The unregulated powered supplies most amps drop by as much as 50% when the input voltage is lowered that much!!!! HINT: Look at your amp's power rating: if it gives it's power ratings at 14.4 volts, you're probably getting screwed!!!

FINALLY, IF YOU NEED HELP WITH JL - GO TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER OR E-MAIL/CALL THE JL TECHNICAL DEPT. IT'S www.jlaudio.com or 954-443-1100

IF YOU BUY STUFF OFF THE INTERNET, IT ISN'T COVERED UNDER WARRANTY AND IT COULD BE STOLEN!!

Im running a jl w7 with 1000 watt mono JL amp. This is undisputedly the best amp for this sub. If you dont agree, check the jl website for proper amp tuning, box size, subsonic settings etc. If you still disagree, a JL tech will help you out and be happy to change your mind. My 12 w7 will push the limits upwards of 130 db. The only competition Ive seen for theese subs are the Orion HCCA's before the 2000 model,(Directive electronics bought orion in 1999-2000 and products went down)and if both tuned right in ported boxes and could probaly only be proven on an RTA or in competition.

dd
dd are louder!

Anonymous
Hehe, dd, no DD sub made can touch a W7, much less an Orion H2....

dd
yaaaa, thats why dd holds spl record, check steve cook's dd and crossfire van, 176+db, now what?haha later friend.

You guys are forgetting I'm not talking some "competition van" This is One 12 JL w7 in my truck tuned to specs and eq'd with an audio control digital dsp, this is a bit different than the crossfire van. I'm not making claims about spl, and how many subs did it take to take the record at 176 db? I'm talking ONE sub.

adf
david just shut the f**k up and go f**k urself

dd
who is david?,anyways, yes i agree jlw7's are kickazz subs, in fact we sold jl at my old shop.(colubiaaudiovideo, rockford,il) i recently had one w7 12 in my demo car, the subs are unbeleivable, i think they're one of the best you can buy at any price. although sub for sub the dd is a bit louder. btw, kicker sucks

I have a JL W7 12 and I want to know how much power I need for it as far as Rockford amps go. I can get a really great deal on any Rockford amp otherwise I'd go with the JL amp. Septik? Got any suggestions? BTW, I got my W7 for only 200 bucks on E-bay so if anyone's strapped for cash and need a cheap buy, that's the way to go...just be sure it's legit (ask lots of questions and make sure you can get your money back if it's not up to par)...Thanx!

zacdavis
hey lindsay, is your sub 1.5 or 3ohm?, if it's 1.5 then go with a bd mono model, and if it's 3 then go with a 2 ch power series and bridge it to one. i think a real 600rms does well with that speaker. the best i've heard that sub is in a huge slot ported box, i can give the exact measurements for that enclosure if you like. it promise ya you'll love it. it sounds better than jl's pre-fab, (sq and output). you can e-mail me at zacdavis@sbcglobal.net later

septik
Lindsay, I'd look into the bd amps that Zac reccomended and shy away from the Power series. Zac's an installer, and I'm sure much more familiar with these amps than I am, so take my advice with a grain of salt. My only problem with the Power series amps is they are spec'd to not handle anything lower than 4 ohms when bridged, and your 12W7 is a svc 3 ohm sub. You may not run into problems, but it's always good to stay within manufacturer's spec's when you can. Take a look at either the 1001bd (~750 watts rms @ 3 ohms) or better still the 1501bd (~1125). Don't even consider the 501bd. It's way under-powered for this sub, and you may not be happy with it.

what amp do I need for three (3) JL W6 12's? They each run at 3 ohms. I was told that the JL e1200 monoblock carried unstable power.

zacdavis
hey lindsay, you can also run a 4 ohm load, those subs have dual 6 ohm coils, run each sub in series(equaling 12 ohms), then parallel them,=3 goes into 12 4 times, bam, rock n roll.

Im gonna get 2 12w7. Do u think running a jl 1000/1 amp will be enough power? What other amps would be good to run these subs?

i have 4 excursion 12"s 1280 d series and 2 ma audio amps 1200w the 12s are 4ohms and i was wondering how to birdge them when my amp is bridgeable a 2ohms

septik
PT, Check out the follkwing link...

http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/index.html

What models are your MA amps?

alex
i heard xtant subs and amps were good anybody have them or heard anything about them also talk about polk,infinity and kicker(the square ones) subs. also can some people please tell me a good amps clean sound i want to hear wat the people are sayin but want bass that can make people move you know oo yea same wit the subs clean sound lots of bass

Anonymous
wats a goood system setup lookin at 3 10s or 2 12s and good amps to go with it anyy suggestions and im into rap sorrey but i like a lot of bass but still real clean sound and want to hear wat they sayin u kno price range around 750 dollars that includes everything (subs,amp, farad
,wiring,enclosures)

Anonymous
wat do farad do

Anonymous
anybody got got pointac firebirds or camros lookin for older versions but any would be ok annd wats ur sub setup(subs,amps all that) and where did u put the subs specifillay in the trunk on that platform thing thankyou

Jonathan
I have a chevy silverady single cab and i am goint to do a cut through and put 2 W7's in the bed of my truck. Now im not sure that other people have understood what i mean when i say i want people to hear me coming down the street; i mean when my subs are turned up i want people all around me going "who is this little punk with his loud bass?" know what i mean? i have 2 questions for u guys. one, is the JBL 1200.1 amp any good (ive heard it is) and two, how do W7's compare to MTX Thunders? Thanks guys

Jonathan
and i mean the thirteen inch W7 and the twelve inch Thunder 9500 btw

Unregistered guest
EVERYONE I HAVE THE LOWEST PRICE ON JL AUDIO WORLD WIDE...JUST LOOK

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=califinestone &include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50

DUMMPED_SCION
Unregistered guest
Whats up all. Well I just wanted to brag a bit to tell you what I have in my scion, and just wanted to know what you all think. I have a 04 Scion Xb and installed was a 911 KVT Kenwood touchscreen DVD, 1 audiovox 6 inch Drop Down Monitor, 2 7.2 inch power acoustik headrest monitors, a JL 300/4 amp for my Alpine Type S component speakers, front and rear, and a 1000/1 to push my 13W7 all custom installed in the spare tire space molded for perfection. Also installed was my Ps2, and a Viper Pager Alarm system. Just wanted to brag because i am very proud of what i got. Please leave feedback and let me know what you all think. Peace Out

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 431
er start a new thread about the SAcion, and I'll give my thoughts, but this thread is already too long.
thanks

Username: Cisco

Post Number: 6
Im skeptical in knowing which amp would be best for 2 12w7. Does anyone know if the JL 1000/1 amp would be enough power for these 2 woofers. If not, which amp should I go for? Also, if the 1000/1v amp is good, How should I wiring them?

Username: Anonymous

Post Number: 1
Im planning to get 2 jl 12w7. Do you think I should run each woofer with a jl1000/1 amp or should I just get one amp to run both of these woofers. which amp should I go with to run both woofers. Also, If I do decide to get 2 amps (1000/1) would it kill my battery,with a cap to each of the amps?

Post Number: 569
it'll kill more than your battery.
you'll need one huge high output alternator (270-300A) to handle a pair of JL 1000/1 amps.

Unregistered guest
i got a 12 w7 and a 900w orion extreme amp. The volume is cutting in and out; too much current for my battery??? will a better battery and alternator fix this??? thanks.

Post Number: 741
which amp?
I';m curious.

a larger alternator is what ya need.

Rocky O'Riley
Unregistered guest
900w orion extreme series... thats all i know, what about a battery??

Post Number: 749
did I say battery?

I thought I said alternator.

I meant to say alternator.

silly me.

Username: 01gsxr

Post Number: 78
Just want to no what you people think about seal box or ported box for a pair of 13w7. They will be powered by a pair of jl 1000/1 amps.I have a gmc typhoon suv. Want to hit hard and clean but also want to be in the 150 spl any advice. Ported box for a pair of 13 w7 is kinda big.

Post Number: 778
slot ported, and it won't be all that big when it's all done.
it just sounds big now.

H-town Kid 16
Unregistered guest
My parents juss got me a 01 BMW 325i and i want to put 2 JL w7 10's in it but i dont just want to stick dem da trunk cause i heard it muffels tha sound. Also i want to change the stock speakers, they arent loud enough... i want great sound quality and da bump!Wut do you reccomend and how much might it cost. Any good websites to find this stuff ???.. Pleaz help me out....THANX

Anonymous

its the not da; what not wut; them not dem

im sure that kind of spelling and talking impresses your ghetto frinds, favorite drug dealer, local prostitutes, etc, but it makes you look like an idiot outside of that click.

Username: Htown_kid_16

Post Number: 2
hey anonymous punk bich im not ghetto, i had to type fast cause i was at school. Anyways i can talk and impress whoevea i fukin want to so get of my jock. And yea im 16, and have a beama, and i earned it legally, not through drug dealin and prostitutes so u should stop talkin all that sht...... your lucky you have a computer to talk through because i know you wouldnt be talkin all that sht to my face.

Oh and does anybody have any real answers to my previous questions.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1110
now I'm confused.
did you earn (the money for) the BMW, or did your parents buy it for you?
You contradicted yourself in two consecutive posts.

Nobody will answer you on this thread because you're hijacking it.
start your own thread, and you'll get a better response, I'm sure.
Also, annonymous did have a point, that people get tired of the "ghetto-speak" typing because it isn't any easier or faster to type, but it is a lot more annoying and slower to read. I'd prefer to be able to just read a question someone has, instead of trying to translate it first.

best of luck in any event.

Username: Timberjon

Post Number: 9
Kids shouldnt have cars..

On line with the JL 12W7.. Im considering having a custom box made for it. But id like to direct my next question to any and all who know what the different volumes are for a box for two W7s. JL says you should have about a cubic foot. But what about two? do you add a half cubic foot? or do you just double it?

What if the box volume was smaller, can you offset that with another port? or two?

Silver Member
Username: Newb

Post Number: 104
lol, johnathon i bet u said just the opposite when u were 16:-)

im betting the parents bought it....dont know many 16y/o that do school and work that can make bimmer payments plus insurance with no previous credit history....thats cool tho when i was 16 i couldnt even afford a pinto

Bronze Member
Username: Timberjon

Post Number: 14
Well. if you must know, my parents sent me away when i was about 8. so i didnt go through that whole car and drivers liscense thing until i was 19.

finalbeyond
Unregistered guest
I have a ppi pcx 2125 amplifier
will this amp give me enough decent
bass for 2 10" w7 or should I go
for just one 12" w7 on a sealed box on the back of a lincol navigator, what do you
guys think anybody please respond

does anybody know if slugger amps
are just as good as ppi or jl amps

Unregistered guest
The vented enclosure design on JL's web site is awesome. It is designed for SQ but it slams as well. I made both the sealed and vented enclosures to try out in my Z. With my one 10W7 in the recomended vented enclosure and only a JL 250/1 amp with a flat EQ and no bass boost, I hit 141.9db. I have my own noise docimiter. The vented enclosures are the way to go as long as you tune them correctly.

Username: Cody85

i got a pair of 13w7 and strapped myself without money for amps right now, what are decent amps I can buy now and I'll replace later with 2 jl 1000/1?

Unregistered guest
tell ya how good jl's 500/1 is, i had it running 4 12inch w3's with no problum in the back of my chevy! now i have a 1000/1 there crazy amps.

Unregistered guest
What's going on everybody?? You guys got some great info! I just bought myself an '01 Acura 3.2CL Type ¤ S and I'm lookin to throw a system in it. I have previously experienced the 12" W6v2 and LOVED it but had to sell it because of financial problems @ the time. As time progressed, I've come to love the sound 10" subs over 12s (just my preference...). Now I'm not looking for TREMENDOUS bass in my new setup, so I was thinkin of either 1 10" or 2 10" subs. If i'd get 2 10's, I was thinking about the w6v2's (or should i get the w3v2s?). OR, I've been seriously debating only getting 1 10" w7. I haven't heard em yet and was curious how 1 of these would sound. I am looking for GREAT SQ and just the right amount of bass, NOT TOO MUCH though! So, how would 1 10" W7 workout? Would the 500/1 be the best best for it as well? Also, will I need to get a cap or nah? Lastly, is custom making a box for it the best way to go? Thanks for your time!

`John

supersupra123
Unregistered guest
im thinking about getting a new system in my gs300, i think imma go with either 3 kicker L7 15's with 3 ppi pcx1500 , or 2 JL W7 12's with 2 Jl 1000/1 which is gonna be better, i care about both SQ and Spl. please help me out, thank you
OR ANYONE KNOWS A BETTER SET UP, I CAN HAVE UP TO 3 15'S IN MY TRUNK, WHATS YALL THNI ABOUT 3 15'S MTX9500? WITH 3 AMPS TO PUSH THEM? .. AND WHAT KINDA ALTERNATOR SHOULD I GET... THANK YOU

Silver Member
Username: Tikolx333

Post Number: 127
Hey you interested in a system? This what I have.

3 xtant x124 12" subs. They are the hex shape and brand new. Tested and work perfect. Each sub has its original box. I paid 349 each. I also have sealed box for these.
Retail value $1,050.
AND A
Kicker 1200 puts out 1447 watts this amp is a monster. Can run anything you have. It looks and works like new. paid 700 for it.
Retail Value $700

Email me if you are interested in either one.

Tikolx333@yahoo.com

I want 800 for the entire combo. I think thats an wasome deal for less then half of what I payed for it.

Unregistered guest
Hello everyone. I am rather new to hooking up my car, but I've learned quick. I was wondering if i should put the Solo X 18" Kicker in my car, and spend about 5 grand to make everything good in my car, or get 1 or 2, 13" W7 from JL Audio, and buy the 1/1000 amp. I am 16, and have a Ford Escort ZX2...oh yeah, it's pimpin'. I'm kidding. Anyways, I am a working kid, and need the best bang for my buck, so I was wondering where I can find the best deal. I appreciate any and all comments

Silver Member

Post Number: 128
Hey Ross.

You looking for a hella loud system I have one for sale. 3 xtatn 12" in a sealed box and a kicker 1200 putting out 1447 watts. http://www.cartoys.com/cartoys/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Product_ID=23541

This system cost me about $2000 I want 800 for it. Let me know.

And dont get teh solo x. No sq and your going to spend alot of money just trying to power that sub. If you want to spend the $5000 then get 2 JL 13 with 2 jl 1000/1. But if you dont want to spend that much take a look at my stuff its loud and looks awsome the hex shape subs. LEt me know tikolx333@yahoo.com

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 248
tiffy has a nice deal there, and i probly would buy it if i wasnt getting a 13w7 and 1000/1 for my 18th bday hehe

Unregistered guest
I'd love to see pictures Tiggy. Thanks. I kinda want to buy my system new, but thanks, send me the pics. I also don't know if 3 12s will fit in the trunk of an escort. Send me the pics, and dimensions. Thanks.

Unregistered guest
I'd love to see pictures Tiggy. Thanks. I kinda want to buy my system new, but thanks, send me the pics. I also don't know if 3 12s will fit in the trunk of an escort. Send me the pics, and dimensions. Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 129
I can get pictures if you are really interested because I dont have a digital camera. But I can tell you this subs look new I mean not a scrach scuf or anything. They are just broken in very gently cuase I learned my lesson the hard way with a pair of adiobahns. The box is 41" wide 14" by 16". Let me know how interested you are. The amp is like new also. I have a red cover for it looks really cool.

Silver Member

Post Number: 130
And if that box doesnt work well we can work something out. Contact me anyways.

Unregistered guest
I am really interested, please send me the pictures, and everything to ross_fletcher@hotmail.com. Thanks. I just wonder if I would have enough room in my trunk so that it wouldn't take up all the room. I have to be practical. Anyways, send me the pics please. Lemme know how much you would want for shipping too.

Silver Member

Post Number: 272
with an escort id be more worried about getting enough power to that amp

Unregistered guest
well, i plan on buying the jl audio 1/1000 amp which has a bulit in capacitor, and if necessary, i can ad a second battery, or a super generator. that wouldn't be too much.

Silver Member

Post Number: 273
a build in cap wont help you at all, youll need a high output alternator for a 1000/1, which will take ~95A continous

Unregistered guest
what is ~95A continus? Im sry for sounding foolish, but I am new to this. Also, do you know where I might be able to pick one of these bad boys up?

Anonymous

its_bacon12. Could you give me a website as well, that shows me how to install amps please. Or anyone. Thanks

Anonymous

heres my experience....(for the two cents that its worth) i used to own a dodge neon with two sony xplod 1200 subs, and 2-1000watt amps.(only rated at 4 ohms so it was really only hitting 600-650 peak) i was hitting 148db....in a neon, not the cab of a pick-up truck. but it had NO quality, it was very scratchy sounding at high spl. the 12w7 is good if you want higher quality, if you want your stereo to beat you up...go with the mtx 9500, it may have a smaller xmax factor, but it also can hold twice the power. (1000watts rms, 2000peak) mtx made that sub for one reason, and one reason only SPL. just remember that. they also made an amp to run that speaker it's the 801d amp. it is MADE for that sub. i have ONE mtx 9500 12' sub in my new car(dodge stratus for those of you who are paying attention) and one of the 801d amps. (the full setup will run you about 2300 bucks, thats wiring, capacitor, dynomat, all of it.) at nopi i was blasting the competition away in street a (i only have one battery, 1-sub, and 1-amp) with 152db IN THE TRUNK OF A DODGE STRATUS....IF THATS NOT PURE POWER, I WANT TO KNOW WHAT IS... if you want spl, go with mtx. if you want quality go with the w7. it's that simple... :-)

Username: Mike

i need to get a 10 or 12 w7 for less than $300 and I cant find any. I've checked on ebay and everywhere else i can think of. If anyone can help me please let me know.

justtryingtohelp
Unregistered guest
this is a great site to learn and understand car audio. check this out especially if you are new to car audio..http://www.linearpower.com/html/installa.html

Unregistered guest
Hey my name is Ricky and i have two 12 inch solobaric L7's and i was wondering what would sound deeper and hurt more, a ported box or sealed and with more air space or less air space. Kicker Reccomends .88 - 2.0 sealed and 1.75 - 3.25 cubic feet for each one. Any info would help guys! thanks

Username: Gregnice

I just purchased a Jl Audio 12W6V2 sub, will my Kicker KX400.1 amp drive the sub ok?

Unregistered guest
hey tiggy, how are you. Let me know about the system cause im really interested in it. thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 132
Hey you interested in a system? This what I have.

3 xtant x124 12" subs. They are the hex shape and brand new. Tested and work perfect. Each sub has its original box. I paid 349 each. I also have sealed box for these.
Retail value $1,050.
AND A
Kicker 1200 puts out 1447 watts this amp is a monster. Can run anything you have. It looks and works like new. paid 700 for it.
Retail Value $700

Email me if you are interested in either one. I NOW HAVE PICS SO SEND ME YOUR EMAIL AND ILL SEND YOU THE PICS ALSO SEND ME YOUR STATE AND ILL TELL YOU HOW MUCH SHIPPING IS GOING TO RUN.

Tikolx333@yahoo.com

I want 800 for the entire combo. I think thats an wasome deal for less then half of what I payed for it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 133
As far as shipping goes for the amp its going to be around $30.
For the subs. With out the sealed box its going to be $30 each so $90 for all three. So without the sealed box its going to be around 120 with the sealed box shipping is going to be $160. Its still cheaper then buying or building a new sealed box. So let me know I paid over 2100 for the entire thing and selling it for 800 plus shipping. Its and awsome deal. And if I get the money before the 26th of this mounth. I will through in a complet wirring kit with fuse and all the wiring you need. SO email me tikolx333@yahoo.com

Unregistered guest
I currently am looking at a jl w7 that a friend of mine has for sale it has less then 15 hrours on it. he is looking to get 650$ for the jl box jl w7 speaker and a jL 600 watt amp and all the wires is this a good deal?

Unregistered guest
jl makes a 600 watt amp now??? what size is the sub?

Anonymous

I HAVE A TRANTRUM 1200.1 IM LOOKING FOR A W7 FOR THIS AMP, SHOULD I GET A 12" OR A 13.5" SUB

Username: Chinamaican

i have a mtx 81000 d series amp pushing like 1000x1 is there any way that u can run a 13" jlw7 at 2ohms?

becksbomb
Unregistered guest
Been reading this for a while...thought I'd finally chime in.
I have a bmw 328i that's been driving me crazy because of the possible enclosure design. Because of my supplies from work I'm left with a sort of l-shaped design and about 3.2 cubic feet. I want the most spl I can get from such a small area. Can anyone tell me what to expect out of 1 10w7 custom ported off of a 500/1. Is it realistic to reach 138 db? box facing back of vehicle in the back right of trunk..(back seat does lay forward) Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 399
you will most likely hit the 130's range, maybe more

i know soemone with a 13w7 and two 500/1's bridged together on it and he hits 153.7 dB
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us