Sub suggestions

Username: Navyvet

Post Number: 1
Hey Guys. I'm looking to purchase 4 12" subs. I'm looking for decent SQ and as much SPL as possible. I'd like to spend right around $600 per sub. I'm removing the rear seat from my Explorer so space wont be much of an issue. Suggestions?

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 13712
Nice budget. Will you have that kinda money for amps? How about 2 15's or even 18's? With that kinda space available and $2400 for subs you could do alot more........

If ya like 12's then how about the new Mag?

Post Number: 2
I'm afraid of going bigger than 12"s due to the fact that i've experienced a bit of sluggishness from them, but i'm open for any suggestions. And yes budgeting for amps will be around the same.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 8006
Also if your going with that many subs youll also need a high output alt. So factor that in as well

Post Number: 3
Yeah, I know, theres an alternator guy here in town, i can either get him to boost mine for me, or do something a bit more extreme.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 8007
comparing the si mag 12 to the image dynamics idmax 12

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/220449.html

alteraudiousa
Silver Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 708

Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 12:51 pm:
showrides.com, or you can ask Ben on here. Either sub will do very well for you. The IDMAX is a killer one, one of my favorites, but not my favorite. The Mag 12 is actually a beast of a sub and definitely the bully of the two subs. While I look at the MAX as a little more finesse, the Mag just bulls its way. Max has a solid SQ like the Mag and both are pretty much the same. I always notice the Mag against pretty much every sub i've tried, especially the 12, has the best low ends kicking it really hard. For me if you want something that can set off car alarms, get the Mag. The Mag 12 has a stiffer suspension than the 15 I now have and can handle gobs of power. I had no troubles pushing the Mag to my amps limits(concept CC-D1200 underrated so probably 1300rms to 1400) and it still wanted more. I hit low 140s on the mic with one Mag sealed with 1200rms. Get it in a ported/vented box and it would be quite nice.

Post Number: 4
So with what that said the Mag is looking like the prime choice with almost equal SQ and louder sound. What would be the ideal enclosure and amp for these and just exactly what can I expect out of a set-up with 4 of those monsters?

Silver Member
Username: Exige

Post Number: 117
mag's are currently not built. they should be back up in a few months. they are in the prototype stage right now. just a heads up.

Post Number: 5
Thanks Exige, what are the specs looking like on them so far?

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
mounting depth is decreasing, SQ is increasing, it's now using XBL^2 technology....gimme one sec and ill dig up a few articles for you.

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
k here we go: http://audiojunkies.com/blog/648/stereo-integrity-designing-the-next-generation- mag-part-1

http://audiojunkies.com/blog/836/stereo-integrity-designing-the-next-generation- mag-part-2

Silver Member

Post Number: 120
On my short list for subs at that price level are the folowing:

SI Mag
JL W6/W7 (W7 is louder, W6 has flatter response)
Fi Q
SoundSplinter RL-S
Elemental Designs 13Av.2

Silver Member

Post Number: 121
wow guys, negate that post - just dug up pricing info on the Mag - under $275 SHIPPED purchased direct from SI - i don't think there's anything at that price point that can compete considering the mounting depth, power handling, and the simple fact that it's a Mag.

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14182&mode=linear

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 13725
Maggie baby.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us