Im new to systems

Username: Rickjames42

Post Number: 1
Ok I have a choice between a 12 inch type r or a 15 inch cvr. When I was looking at there specs the alpine can handle more power but would the 15 be louder? Also which of the two subwoofers would sound better with more clarity. I listen to anthing from red hot chilli peppers to young joc so it cant just sound good for bassy songs. I want to power them with either a hifonics amp or a crunch amp.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 12596
Crunch?

Post Number: 2
is crunch bad?

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin MY SUB...

Post Number: 1184
I dont have experience with either of them, but yes the 15 will be louder. more cone area. It also depends on the box for what will sound better.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1185
crunch is made by maxxsonics. They also make mb quart, hifonics, and autotek. There crunch stuff is kind of there cheap stuff. Its not really recommended.

Post Number: 3
would the 15 sound clearer or the alpine

Gold Member

Post Number: 1186
If i had to choose between the two, i would take the alpine because i dont care for kicker subs that much. JMO.

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1373
Go with the Type R in a correctly built box. Not too much of a keeker fan.
As far as crunch goes, I heard their new stuff stepped up a little bit and actually does rated power, but I could be wrong. If you want budget, a Hifonics would be decent, but only if you are on a budget.

Post Number: 4
Im not exatly on a tight budget I just dont want to spend alot of money. What amps would be good to power each sub? Also are L7s any good?

Silver Member
Username: Boomtank

Rochester, NY USA

Post Number: 484
If you just want it to be loud and don't care how it sounds L7's are the way to go. If you want any sound quality at all then don't get kicker L5 or L7's

Gold Member
Username: Mj23dynasty

Some where 12 wangin o..., The Mighty J... USA

Post Number: 1088
L7's are great for SPL.
SPL = Loudness
SQL= half loudness half sound qaulity
SQ= sound qaulity
L7's build qaulity is questionable but in the right box and a good install L7's get extremely loud if u have the power to move them.

X2 on the alpine my friend has 2 12" and they bring the pain!. I would take the type R over the CVR everyday and twice on sundays lol

Silver Member
Username: Philly306

After 194dBs your car ..., North carolina

Post Number: 796
"L7's build qaulity is questionable but in the right box and a good install L7's get extremely loud if u have the power to move them"

lmfao so now you examen the "build" of subs
sorry dwight but reading stuff online doesn't make it true. im sure there are plenty of people that would disagree and say the l7s are very well built. i dont like them but please don't just repeat stuff you've read online

Gold Member

Post Number: 1089
Uhhh phil actually get ur facts straight as a previous owner of 2 10" L7s ported and more recently 3 8" L5's I would know about their build qaulity so stfu. Maybe u should ask first instead of assuming tht way u won't look like an azz! Thanx

Silver Member

Post Number: 797
how would you know anything about the build quality of a subwoofer? Im sure the designers at Stillwater would have to disagree with you.

Bronze Member
Username: Loudass

Toad suck park, Ak

Post Number: 31
go with the kicker if you want to be loud. alpine if you want more sq. remember at least half of your sq is the box not the speaker

Gold Member

Post Number: 1090
Maybe because I had mine installed by the best car audio place in the area. And I was giving them between 500-600 RMS a piece and one of them just stop working one day I hacent messed with the gain or messed with the sub/HU or amp at all it just stopped working correctly. One would hit hard and the other would hit very soft I took it in the said something ripped tinsel lead or spider or something I dnt remember that was almost a year ago. So I ditched them. now are u happy stop starting sh1t wit me u just want to argue! I have owner L5's and L7's. I had no prollems with the L5's I was happy with them and the L7's I owned 1 of them blew I think tht gives me enough reason to say the build qaulity is "questionable". Ok now stfu and leave me alone phil d4mn.

Silver Member
Username: Nickyp0219

Post Number: 372
guys, lets not get into some bullsh*t arguement about something off topic. The guy had a specific question, type r or cvr, not L7. I have no say in your conversation even having had an L7, i didnt examine its build quality so either one of you could be right.

Stick to the question that way we can all be happy

Gold Member

Post Number: 1091
And of course the designers would disagree??? Who's going to build a project that's supposedly the next big thing (sqaure woofer) and top of the line (L7) and then say "well the build qaulity sucks". Nobody so shut up ur not making much sense u sound like an idiot that's picking an e fight

Gold Member

Post Number: 1092
Exactly what I'm thinking nick like I said and others said. Alpine over the cvr. IMO

Silver Member

Post Number: 798
don't feel all hurt now dwight. but i highly doubt kicker is going to put out a sh!tty product. im not a big fan of kicker but they have proved they know what they are doing.
oh btw dwight don't know if anyone told you but i was your secret santa

to the thread
i would prefer the type r

Gold Member

Post Number: 1093
Well I already said thank u for tht but I'm not going to take ur sh1t bcuz of tht I didn't say anything wrong and u started comin at me for no reason. I've been making useful posts today and still no respect from any1. What does it take for u guys to get off my case.

Well search the net and see how many L7 problems there are.
This was a question of opinion I gave mine and u didn't agree so u started makin fun of my opinion w/o getting the info behind my opinion first that's my only problem with u bud nothing personal I'm just sick of every1 tlkin sh1t on me especially when I've been making useful posts and not non sense ones like every1 complains about.
So sorry if I offended u thanx for the secret santa gift to again didn't get to use it yet but I will soon.

Gold Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1185
I have a type R and really like it.

What is your budget? Maybe we can upgrade for a few extra bucks.

As for Crunch goes, the new "GP" series I believe is supposed to do rated power. Ask Joey De Salvo as he knows more about them then I do.

Silver Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 219
ya post a budget. maybe the type-r is the best for you, maybe its not. but with a budget we can give you better options

Silver Member
Username: Dsmith07

NC Http://com4....

Post Number: 767
speak of the devil dwight FTW! LOL

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/437388.html

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 5723
damn, and i was hoping dwight was gone for good.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1100
hahaha thts funny as he11 well the proof is in the pudding. And ctmike my nutz. . . ur mouth. . . Never liked ur b1tch a55. Anyways good lookin out derek thts just more proof to an already proven topic

Silver Member
Username: Dsmith07

NC Http://com4....

Post Number: 768
yea well they do ride ur d!ck pretty hard

Gold Member

Post Number: 1101
yea well i have made my fair share of stupid threads but they never forgive and forget around here even on days like today where ive did nothing but make helpful posts they still hate on me idc bcuz i can take it

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 7597
ok everyone vented now we can all get along

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5628
Everyone like to rip on dwight but you shouldn't be this time...... hes right here......... except I'd even say the square kicker's quality is worse than questionable. Those subs have one of the highest failures rates in the business, are cheaply made, and are probably THE most common type of woofer I see blown.

Gold Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 1230
"crunch is made by maxxsonics. They also make mb quart, hifonics, and autotek. There crunch stuff is kind of there cheap stuff. Its not really recommended"

X2!!!!!!!!!!!!UploadUpload

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 5725
"And ctmike my nutz. . . ur mouth. . . Never liked ur b1tch a55"

so, you want to put your nuts in a guys mouth? i always thought you were stupid and corny, but never knew you were ga_y until now.

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

Post Number: 3614
Go with the R. Better build quality, probably as loud, and it will sound much better.

"What does it take for u guys to get off my case."

Leave.

Post Number: 6
Ok so I think id like to go for the type R. Should I buy the 2 ohm or the 4 ohm I dont understand the difference.

Gold Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1205
Depends on what amp you get.

Post Number: 7
Ok so one last question here if I get two type R's in 4 ohms when I hook it up to a mono amp does the rms get cut in half because it is going to 2 speakers or does it stay the same. For example with a 1600rms amp would 800 rms be going to each speaker or would 1600 rms be going to each speaker and what would be a decent amp to use with two type R's. If anyone knows a really inexpensive car audio website for amps let me know. Sorry for all the questions if they seem dumb I have hardly any experience with this stuff and just wanna end up with a decent system.

Bronze Member
Username: Bonhamd

Northern, Michigan USA

Post Number: 87
it all depends on the resistance. If your amp does 1600 in to 1 ohm, you would need two dual 4 subs to wire down to one ohm where each sub would get around 800 a piece.

Post Number: 8
I am sorry but I really dont understand what you just said lol.

Gold Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 1743
basically if your amp is rated at 800w rms at 2 ohms and you have one speaker wired to 2 ohms, it will recieve that 800w. If you have 2 speakers and they are wired together on that amp to a 2 ohm load, each speaker will see 400w.
Clear it up any?

Post Number: 9
I just dont get what the difference between a 4 ohm and a 2 ohm speaker is and which is better? Or does it not really matter?

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodia

Post Number: 3640
1 Dual VC subwoofer
You can wire it in two ways. Series, or parallel.

Series you add up the ohms so dual 4 (4+4 = 8ohms) The amp will provide power @ 8ohms.

In parallel, you wire positive to positive and neg to neg. And from one positive to the amp and one negative to the amp. By wiring it in parallel, you cut the resistance in half. The proper equation for this is:

(R*R)/(R+R)
Where:
R = Resistance

Example:
Dual 4

(4*4)/(4+4) > 16/8 = 2ohms

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodia

Post Number: 3641
I just dont get what the difference between a 4 ohm and a 2 ohm speaker is and which is better?

There is no difference in terms of quality or which one is better. What you need to know is what amp you would like to use. Once you find out that the amp does the amount of power that you prefer to give the sub at a certain ohm load then you can choose the right model.

Example:

If you wanted to give the alpine type r 400rms. Find a amplifier in the 400rms range. Lets say you found a kicker zx400.1, and this amplifer puts out 400rms x 1 @ 2ohms <PAY ATTENTION THERE. By now, you will realize that you can only go with a Dual 4 Subwoofer, if you only run 1 subwoofer. A Dual 2 is out of the options unless you decide to run 2 subwoofers.

Also, go to www.bcae1.com . Very useful information there.

Post Number: 10
OK and my last question is I am planning to hook all this up to my factory navigation on my vw gli and I was wondering am I going to have to cut any wires and could this possibly void any warrenty I have on my nav? My car has only like 4000 miles on it I really dont want my navigation to get muffed up this early lol.

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

BC Canada

Post Number: 1754
Go Berny!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us