Blowthru

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1633
Does anyone use them on this forum? Is there any one competing, on this forum or otherwise that put up decent numbers?

How difficult is it to do? What type of tools would be needed for cutting and sealing the cab and bed?

thanks in advance for any help guys

Gold Member

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1634
bump

Silver Member
Username: Kpa2727

Post Number: 812
i personally don't know much about them but being a hands on guy. i'd use a jigsaw with metal blades taking my time. a rubber gasket sealed on with a gasket adhesive, 5 am upalnight spelling? and seal the hole that way then go about sealing your area like a sealed withing a sealed design to minamize air leaks to 0. kind of like boxing a box over a whole to make sure your sealed. best advice i can think of good luck !

Gold Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 1682
My buddy had one on his F150. Basically, you need to cut a hole in the bed of the truck and then through the cabin. Cut it about 1/2" bigger than your box. Build your box completely except for the front (where subs are). Make sure your box is waterproofed big time and slide the box in the hole. Next put on the front of the box. The front of his box was about 3" bigger, all the way around than it normally would be, so he could screw it to the truck. Then you need to seal off both of the cuts through the bed and cabin. He used fiberglass and body filler. After that was finished, he took it to a place around here and had Rhino Liner put in his bed... Looks really sweet. I'll try to find pics.

Silver Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Admiting your an a$$ho...

Post Number: 445
DO NOT SLIDE THE BOX INTO THE CABIN. there is a reason the bed is a seperate piece it was made to flex. look that the pics of the blowthrough sumone just did on here that was correct.

Silver Member
Username: 30hrtz

Raleigh, Nc U.s.a

Post Number: 210
ya scroll down to my blowthru thred.its easy to do,and yo keep the box in the bed,just seal it up to the bed side so all the air and sound is forced into the cab.

Silver Member
Username: Mesodumm

Tri-City, Az Usa

Post Number: 237
Most times I do 4th or 6th order bandpass box, smaller holes through body. For resale it is easier to hide smaller holes, but 30hrtz did a good job on his, You need to get some video when done!! I have 2 1991 gmc ex-cabs and 1 1993 ex-cab, 1 91 has 3 12" front fire, other 91 has 2 12" down fire, and 93 will be ported through with 2 15"

Silver Member

Post Number: 446
if you have a new truck i wouldnt cut it up if its old do it for sure

Gold Member

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1636
well I hopefully will be trashing my blazer next summer and getting an 03 f150 again, or 00-04 model to be more broad. it really is just speculation right now. Yes it will be a std cab most likely. I'd like to cut the smallest hole possible and never intend on selling it. I know there was an install on either ROE or CA, maybe it was linked on here somewhere.
This guy did a blowthru with two 15"s but they were facing eachother(into the port). I'd like to do something like that, as the hole, proportionately looked smaller than what 30hrtz has going on with his install. good job btw man!

Silver Member

Post Number: 448
ya my budy did that in his blazer with 4 15s it sounded sweet. alot of the trucks out at sema do it that way and they get LOUD.

Gold Member

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1640
you're talking about blowthru with subs facing eachother, P. rick?

Silver Member

Tri-City, Az Usa

Post Number: 240
At the old shop I was with we were doing a truck for SEMA in Las Vegas, we used 4 12" Orion subs, We tested it a bunch of different ways, The best we found for that situation was kind of like this picture, offset you subs never point them right at each other. That actually lost bass, same concept as noise cancellation.Upload

Gold Member

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1641
MeSoDumm, what if I only use a pair of 12"s, will it have the same effect?

Silver Member

Tri-City, Az Usa

Post Number: 241
Yes, just make sure you use correct specs!! it will sound good!

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16809
try to cut it in one perfect piece. that way you can weld it back on if you ever decide to sell your car.

Gold Member

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1644
So, judging by your diagram MeSoDumm, you want the gaskets to "overlap" or would you want the gaskets to basically be right up next to one another, if taken out of the box and put closer together?

not a bad idea Slim, I will keep that in mind:-)

Silver Member

Tri-City, Az Usa

Post Number: 242
Chad's got good idea!! Yes the gasket would overlap what ever els you put there, accordions are nice but still need just a bit more. The way we started doing them was after metat was cut we grind so not so sharp, cut small tube in half run over edge, then use heavy duty pipe insulation then start wrapping with innertube it doesn't just stop outside nice, weather but also the body does twist just a little espeacialy in 4x4. smaller area cut better off you are,

Gold Member

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1648
MeSoDumm, I meant the gasket ring on the speaker, is that what you mean? or are you talking about the sealing aspect of the blowthru?

Silver Member

Tri-City, Az Usa

Post Number: 244
Lost me for a few! gasket ring for speaker? don;t even know how that got brought in to this! or would be anything involved! sorry! yes! sealing of blowthru! Box looks good any new picks???

Gold Member

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1660
lemme re-phrase, how you have the speakers mounted in the diagram, the speakers are "off-set"

my question is, hypothetically, if there were only 2 instead of 4, and you removed both speakers from their baffle and moved them toward eachother until they touched, would the rubber gasket(or top of basket) on the speakers touch or would they butt up, side to side?

make any sense of that?...lol:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us