I'm Back - Fr!ggin Micosuck

Silver Member
Username: Phil_salisbury

Post Number: 480
I swear after all the crap I went thru to re-install this POS and figure out all the d@mn driver installs and updates, the more and more I am considering my next computer to be a Mac.

Ya d@mn near have to be your own IT support anymore for lousy azz computers that run MS. If I were drunk while doing this, I would of just put a few 9mm's thru it's brain pan just to put me out of my misery.

Bill Gates----- YOU SUCK.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 12149
Lemme guess, Vista?

I'm feelin' ya bro.

Silver Member
Username: Kklagge

San Diego

Post Number: 517
I recently built 2 of my own computers (will never buy an assembled one again) and installed XP Pro on one & Vista Ultimate on the other...

No problems with either one of them...I hear people constantly having problems with Vista but mine runs perfect...

Only big problem with Vista is that it's memory hungry...if you don't have a minimum of 2 gigs you're wasting your time.

Silver Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 672
Since were on the computer topic...

I just added another stick of ram to my computer, and My computer is freekin slower now. Does this make any sense? I'm running a Compaq evo/ 1.7ghz pentium 4, windows xp pro. It had 1 256 ram card, and I scrapped an old computer and added 2 128 card. Both are pc-100 too. So whats up with this?

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

BC Canada

Post Number: 1477
I don't like Vista. My Mom has it, and I can't stand it. I was trying to get rid of unneeded sh!t in the startup list, but I had to start this Windows Defender thing. There's no "Run" that I could find. It's lame. XP is so much simpler and to the point.

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1245
If you know what you are doing, you will not have a problem with XP or Vista. I run both, reformatting and installing drivers are a breeze.

Cam, the RUN on vista is when u click start, and it has that text blank at the bottom.

Gold Member
Username: Mike11202

DD9515G VFL 200.1 = : , Sewell, NJ US

Post Number: 1186
" It had 1 256 ram card, and I scrapped an old computer and added 2 128 card. Both are pc-100 too. So whats up with this?"

Because you can't mix different kinds of ram and expect it to run faster. Stick with the same kind, don't mix and add more.

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 1479
Hmm. I saw a search box, but no Run. I'll check again. Thanks, Nick.

Gold Member

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1248
Cam, that search box is the RUN. It works either way.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

IM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

Post Number: 16436
i have vista business pre installed on my new dell laptop. it came with 1 gig of memory.

so far i haven't had any issues with it. i even installed dota and played it. no problems yet. knock on wood. lol

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 1483
Ah. Good to know. Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Gignmofo

Post Number: 29
Go mac,

If you totally hate it ... you can always run Vista on it.

Macs just work.

:-)

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

ASU

Post Number: 2270
"I am considering my next computer to be a Mac."

I absolutely love my mac. Like tyler said, you can always run MS on it...but you wont want to.

Gold Member

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1250
Before you run a Mac, try Linux. After all, Mac did still most of it's eye candy and features from linux.
Linux > Mac

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12152
What confuses me I guess the most about Vista is that my 3 month old pc runs on Vista and has 2 gigs of ram. Just what does Vista offer me over XP? I don't see all the new advancements. Sure there are some new sounds and appearance changes but why all the hype?

My old HP had 1/4th the ram and ran JUST as fast. From what I see it's all the baggage that comes with Vista that eats up all the ram you're supposed to be utilizing for YOUR programs. At any given moment I have 68 processes currently running in the background, and that's out of the box.

Vista is a resource grubbing OS that chokes itself of any advancement MS MIGHT have made.

Just how I see it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 481
Well, in my haste to get this POS back up and running, I screwed up the HD as to the HD gig size seen by the system and it defaulted back to the system limitation size of 120 gigs from 160 gigs.

I know that XP Pro SP2 has to be installed and I also know the Intel chipset drivers have to be updated along with the Bios updated.

I just cannot remember the process involved, though I do know that the HD does have to be not connected/slaved to the the smaller hd ( daisy chained ) when all the updating is done because when the d@mn HD defaulted to the lower gig space size, the reinstall reassigned all the drive letter designations.

GOD, I hate fr!ggin computers.

As for the Mac thing, I'm seriously considering it for my next system when it comes time to upgrade since most software these days is written to installed both MS & Mac systems.

As for the memory thing, yeah, the memory sticks have to be all the same, ya just can't add any ole memory sticks, besides, memory is dirt cheap these days, I bought a 1 gig memory stick for less than 100 bucks, now I got a gig and half of memory though these days with systems and software being such hogs, 2 gigs of memory is a minimum for most systems

Silver Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 675
lol I meant I have pc-133 cards. Do I cant mix different different size ram cards even if they are the same type or format, whatever the correct word is. My 256 and 128's are all pc-133 (and my computer came with the 256 card originally.)

Silver Member

San Diego

Post Number: 518
If you computer has 2 sets of 2 for memory (total of 4 banks) you'll need to run either 2 or 4 memory chips and not 3...bank A should equal bank B (meaning it should have the same setup)...get yourself another 256 chip and run a 256 & 128 in each bank.

And just because they are all 133 doesn't mean they'll be compatible...like Woodlawn said they need to be the same (manufacturer and everything) or you'll certainly have problems that will only get worse.

Paul...68 processes? That's exactly why I built my own and will never buy one in a box again...mine is running a total of 28 and completely boots up in less than 30 seconds.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12167
Yup, 68. That's without running any programs or even having aim or any antivirus programs running in the background.

Brand new 35-40 gigs of my HD space was already accounted for and my HD grinds almost constantly. I never shut it down, always put it to sleep. I can't stand the time and noise of it rebooting every day.

Silver Member
Username: Charlesbhs

Dallas, Tx USA

Post Number: 446
I'm selling a mac in the for sale section for good price :-)

check it out

selling other macs soon.

VVVVV Link

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/for-sale/429726.html

Silver Member

San Diego

Post Number: 519
Paul....you should reformat that thing and start it fresh without all the proprietary crap all over it...I can't imagine how long it would take to boot that up.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 7471
you guys could also consider linux.....it cant hurt to run a dual boot of windows/linux to try it since linux is free

Gold Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 2768
once you go mac you dont go back

Silver Member

San Diego

Post Number: 520
Never had a problem with Windows...then again I don't download programs at will that install stuff you don't know about...the real key is keeping the startup clean.

Silver Member

Illinois United States

Post Number: 689
I have 3 slots for some reason, don't know what the 3rd slot is for. I have 2 computers, one uses ddr and the other pc-133. Am I stuck with using pc-133 or can I upgrade to ddr or ddr2? I noticed on the cards, the ddr card has 1 small notch in the bottom of it, where the pc-133 has 2 notches.

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1561
can someone tutor me on how to reformat my comp and get rid of all the unnessary sh1t, after Paul posted, I checked my processes, and they were at 90, but got em down to 72.....:-(

Bronze Member
Username: Igor_xxx

Post Number: 67
here you got a few quick steps how to format your pc

http://www.whitecanyon.com/how-to-format-computer.php

Silver Member

Post Number: 482
I've learned one invaluable lesson I learned with all this nonsense is to make d@mn sure to have backups of all known/available update drivers before proceeding with a reformat/install.

I also discovered along the way of doing this that MS Backup DOES work. I know this because some files I needed to bring this pig back to life were on MS Back File I did of the other system I have here that is identical to the one.

I bought two identical systems at the time ( one is mine and the other is the wifes ) and i did this for the very reasons so I could figure out was needed.

Also, it pays to have an external HD to save backups to and there cheap, I just bought a Maxtor 120 gig HD external at CC for less than 100 bucks.

I making a MS BACKUP file of the entire reinstalled system, So, next time if i ever have to go thru this crap again is format/re-install just the OS and then restore the backup file and done, all os updates, drivers updates, programs and what not, one shot, reinstalled and done.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12215
I love my externals. I've been using a 200 gig for years. Just recently bought a 500 gig. To me it's a must for safe storage/BU of pics/home vids and valuable documents.

"Also, it pays to have an external HD to save backups to and there cheap, I just bought a Maxtor 120 gig HD external at CC for less than 100 bucks."

Phil, I bought my 500 gig Maxtor for about $129.

Silver Member

Post Number: 483
Paul,

I saw that 500 gig maxtor your talkin about and I just couldn't bring myself to drop the extra coin for it and to be honest, 120 gig Ext HD is more than plenty for me considering when I bought these systems I bought a Storix 20 Ext HD for backups and I put that on the ole lady system for doc's and sh!t.

Besides, I got a Lite-On DVD +/- RW Drive and I burned an azz load of DVD R's Dual Layers disks to backup files on, plus I burned alot of CD-R's for files as well for all the Pic's I got since CD-R's are dirt frigg!n cheap for a pack of 50.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 7396
thats why i think linux is better... but mac is cool.. but i mean the all the software is limited and expensive

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 14186
Mac FTW!

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 7399
FTD

FOR THE Draw

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12223
Fair enough Phil. I love movie editing and I'm also a pic/home movie freak when it comes to my kids. When you deal with 400+ meg movie files and backups and such the memory goes quite fast.

Years ago when I purchased my first laptop and requested the optional 20 gig HD the salesman asked: "Dude, what are you gonna need that big a HD for?"

Storage requirements will ALWAYS be increasing so why not buy it up?

Gold Member

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1263
Lol I Agree Paul.
I myself have now 1.6TB of hard drive space, and most of it is already used up (got about 20gb left)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12227
"Lol I Agree Paul.
I myself have now 1.6TB of hard drive space, and most of it is already used up (got about 20gb left)"

Nick, what are you gonna need 1.6TB of hard drive space for??!!!

Gold Member

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 1264
Full albums, DVDs, and Warez :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us