Bridging

Username: Reuven

Post Number: 1
Does anyone here know how to connect two subs to a mono aplifier. As far as I know a one channel amplifier(mono amp) looks something like this
o........o.......o.........||||............o o
pos..grnd...neg......fuses.....pos.neg...(<--for subs)

each one of the subs will have +- ... +- Now you take the two positives and connect to make one and two neg. to make one. Now you take your 2 subs and four leads that are not two and connect them to the amp????????Is this right or am I headed for disaster???

Thnx,
reuven

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 196
Yes, that's how you do it. Make sure the amp can handle the load, for example, if you have 4 ohm subs, make sure the amp can handle a 2 ohm load.

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 197
By the way, that's not called bridging, it's wiring in parallel. Bridging is when two channels of an amp are summed to mono.

Post Number: 2
Ok I thought so. You would think 2 subs, double the resistance, hence 2x4=8ohms. But u cut it in half? Also why would a monosub advertise 1,800 watts RMS x 1 at 1 ohm 3600 X 1 Peak? How many subs out there work at 1ohm? it would be 1,200 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms 2400 X 1 Peak. 2 subs 1200watts each = 2400 watts. Maybe 4800 peak?

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 202
Yeah, it cuts the resistance because there are more paths for current to flow. When subs are in series, the resistance is added. When in parallel, the equation is 1/R1+1/R2=1/RT R being resistance and t being total. A mono amp that puts out 1800W RMS at one ohm. Two 2 ohm subs, or 1 DVC 2 ohm sub will get a 1 ohm load. 1/2+1/2=1/t 2/2=1 ohm. Power will divide equally, meaning each sub would get 900 watt RMS. Don't pay attention to peak power. It's overrated and never reached. Multiple subs hooked to an amp, the power will divide equally, 2 subs w/ 1200 watts get 600 each, 3 subs w/ 1200 watts get 400 each.

smokeit
Unregistered guest
anybody familiar with directed 1100d mono amp. i have one and not sure which sub i should go for. planning on getting an eclipse cd player and willing to spend aroun 1200 all together. i have been looking at diamond audio and jlw7. peaked my head in on kiker solobarics but not sure thats my cup of tea. anybody have suggestions or comments. would appreciate it.

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 209
Directed 1100d is a very good mono amp. I don't really like Solobarics, they just don't sound like round subs and you lose a lot of sound quality for the surface area you gain. Diamond Audio and the W7 are both excellent.

Post Number: 3
Jonathan,

I am planning to spend no more that $1,000, + or - few hundred bux, on my stereo system assuming I can get some good stuff from ebay. Now I heard about audiobahn and not a lot of experienced people like it although it is the bang for the buck type of system. I did find some good Rockford Fosgate mono amps and an MTX 1501D 1500 watts 1ch at 2 ohms. The whole idea here is to find a system for my car so clear I could be heard going down the block. My friend claims his mono audiobahn amp makes 3,000 watts so thats what I am going off because I heard it going down the block. I want my system to sound as good if not better for the same money + or - a few hundred bux but also use a quality name brand. Can you help me out.

Thnx,
J

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 213
Audiobahn really isn't bang for the buck, actually. There is much better for the same or lower price. Adire Audio is a great example. That's why we recommend against them. Is that 1000 for the sub(s) and amp, or 1000 for the complete system (head unit, components, etc.)?

Bronze Member
Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 45
dude going down the block if someone far away can hear your music. that means you are not hearing as much. you are wasting the energy from your system. that is what sound is... it is energy. also if all you want to do is annoy people on your block just set ur car completely open in your driveway and turn it on full blast all night. hopefully for me and all your neighbors someone would jack your crap audiobahn or w/e you waste your money on REAL fast. people like you who are out to annoy others so you think you are cool give car audio the bad annoying name. thanks Johny!

done ranting

-Duff

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 221
Yeah, some people say something "sounds good" because they can hear it down the block. Personally, I always judge sound quality by how good a system sounds in the car. The Audiobahn amps, ESPECIALLY the really high power ones, sound like absolute crap. The subs aren't any better.

Post Number: 4
See why would anyone assume that the reason I want a stereo system is because all I want to do is drive down some residential street and blast my music so that I can annoy people. I always thought that you can judge a system by how much bass there is. And if you can hear it down the block it's good. Obviously I was wrong. But driving down a residential blasting it all out, come on!?

If you want to help me out I have another question. The JL Audio 1000 W RMS @ 1.5 ohm-4 ohm. I am guessing there has to be a switch to control how much output there is, either at 1.5 ohms or 4. Let's say that you can switch it to 1.5 ohms will that increase the output or will that just let you run more subs in parallel. I obviously can't hook up two 1500watt subs each at say 4 ohms, or 2 ohms in parallel, and expect my amp to push them?? Or can I? Ohh as far as money, I am looking at $1,000, + or - $500 bux, for the whole thing!!!

Thnx for the help,
J

Anonymous

That JL 1000/1 with the ohms ratings depends on how you wire your subs there is not switch on them to change that. I have 2 of them Brand new and there is NO switch. You just wire your subs for what ohm rating you want BUT that also depends on the subs ohms rating too.

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 224
No, it automatically determines the impedance. You can put any set of subs you want anywhere between 1.5-4 ohms, and it will always be 1000W RMS. I wasn't directly referring to you, Johny, just Johns reply, a lot of what he said is true. I don't judge a system for how much bass there is, I judge by the quality of all the components and how it sounds inside the car. When you hear something a block away, you're not going to hear the component speakers or the rattles that the actual car that is containing these subs may have.

Post Number: 5
Hey Jonathan, it's totaly cool. I didn't know before and now I know.
One other thing I noticed is that people tend to put their system together with different makes and models. Is it ok to get an MTX amp, assuming it's a good one, with alpine subs and expect quality? Or Rockford Fosgate subs with an alpine amp? To me it's like taking and M3 and putting a chevy small block in there. It will run, but it's not BMW.

Anonymous

Yes johny you can 2 alpine subs to a MTX ect.ect.ect. Everyone does that. Just don't do that with subs lol such as a JLaudio 13w0 and a Kicker L7 now that doesn't work well but using different name amps will not hurt anything.

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 233
Yeah, it's usually better to mix than to stick to one brand. One brand can't be the champion of everything. As far as JL Audio, they're a big exception due to 3 ohm and 1.5 ohm subs (W7's) They match best with JL's amps. MTX makes very good mono amps, exceptional for the price, Alpine makes good subs, but there ones I like much better for the price they are. Adire Audio is one I like a lot better. Rockford Fosgate subs are pretty good, but they've really lost a lot since their 80's/early 90's stuff, it was a lot better back then. They've traded their reputation for commercial shelves beside Power Acoustik and Sony in Best Buy.

Seattle, WA U.S.

Post Number: 6
Here is something else I have been trying to figure out. I found this Adire 10" sub Brahma MarkII. It is 1600watts RMS at 2 ohms. Rockford Fosgate or even MTX don't put out too many amps over 1000watts RMS and if they do it's one channel and I would only run one sub. It seems the only way to push 2 subs, like adire above, is with two amps bridged. I can not run these subs in parallel because even though I reduce the ohms, assuming my sub can take that, I also half the watts. Essentialy if an amp is rated for 1,000 watts thats it. Regardless of what you try to do 1,000 watts will be the most you will get out of it. But if these co. are coming out with 1600watt subs and 2000rms subs don't they have mono amps that can push them or are they trying to get people to buy more amps???????

Anonymous

You don't need that much wattage a JBL 1200.1 will run them just fine.

Seattle, WA U.S.

Post Number: 7
true true! But when you take an amp and hook it up to an oscilascope it performs good only within its range. If you go beyond that you loose that nice sinusoidal wave and get distortion. I always thought that your amp needs to be higher than or equal to your sub in order get clarity? Or is that not the case here?

J

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 235
Yeah, a JBL 1200.1 is perfect for that sub. The 1600 and 2000W RMS rating is a thermal rating. Electrical current generates a lot of heat, and the voice coil can only withstand a certain amount of current ( The 1600RMS wattage rating) before it fails, because running too much current will generate too much heat and the voice coil could melt. That's what a maximum RMS rating is about. The sub doesn't need 1600 watts to reach maximum excursion, that's just the most you can push without destroying the sub. 1200 watts (actually less than 1200) would be plenty to get that Brahma moving to it's max.

Username: Johny

Seattle, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 1
hey is there a difference between an amp for subs and tweeders?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us