Rockford fosgate vs. kicker

Brad
i want to know your opinions about which brand is better. i am planning to put a system in my car. i was thinking about getting a rockford 800 watt punch amp hooked up to a pair of 12" hx2s. my other option is a kicker 800 watt amp hooked up to a pair of 12" L5 solo barics. which is the better setup? i want people to know i'm coming from two blocks away. btw, the reason i'm choosing between only these two setups is because i can get each one for really cheap off a friend.

hey... hook me up with the hx2s and the punch amp. those are what I would go for. could your friend sell me some. (or buy 2 sets and say they're for your mom or something and I'll pay for shipment to me) but personally I would go for the hx2s since I am more partial to RF and I dont like the kicker amps.

i'd go for the kicker amp and the Hx2 subs. if you cant do that, go for the kicker combo, the L5s arent the best for SQ but they are awesome for SPL.

good luck.

teflondog
i would try to get the solo barics and the punch amp. there really isn't much of a difference between a punch amp and a kicker amp if it's only 800 watts but that's my personal opinion. the only reason i would get the punch amp is because it's nicer looking. i would pick the L5s over the HX2s because mathematically, they push more air since a square sub has more surface area than a circular sub. i'm open to other opinions if i'm wrong.

Jake da Snake
if you can both for the same price then i would go for the kicker setup because its retail value is more than the fosgate setup. between those two options, there wouldn't be that great of a difference in sound. the hx2s will have more sq but the L5s will have more spl.

isnt that what i just said??? lol, the disadvantage of a square sub is that it has stress points, unlike a circular sub. the stress points cause wear, and after a while, the sub will deteriorate quicker because of the stress.

I am not a big fan of rockfords new amps, so i'd say go with the kicker again, kicker amp, and if you can get the kicker amp with the RF sub do it.

if you cant, go with the full kicker setup.

priest
kicker amps are better than rockford amps. their amps are more efficient and have more features such as amp strapping. as for the subs, that's a tough one. derek says that the L5s won't last as long as the hx2s. on the flip side, the hx2s might last longer but won't pound as hard as the L5s. that's a tough decision. on one hand you got more power, while on the other hand you got more durability. you can't have your cake and eat it too. you have to make a compromise.

Anonymous
i would go for the rockford fosgate setup because the hx2s are more accurate. you can hear every drum beat clearly and still have plenty spl. the L5s are pretty loud but they get sloppy, i mean very sloppy. the punch series amps aren't as good as the old school ones though, but i'm sure it'll do the job.

Anonymous
go for the kicker setup man. i guarantee you won't regret it. i have two L5s and the kicker 500.2 amp. i'm giving each sub only 250 watts and they pound! if you have an 800 watt amp then prepare to damage your hearing.

bass head
kicker puts rockford to shame. rockford's new stuff is total crap. it's overpriced and not even that great to begin with. kicker amps are always under rated and usually put out about 100 watts more than they say. but if i were you, i would get the kicker setup and then try to sell the amp. use the money to buy a jl audio amp. jl audio is top of the line and will compliment those solo barics.

Anonymous
don't get either of them. save up your money and get a jl audio setup. jl subs have spl and better sq than solo barics and hx2s.

Josh
Forget about Jl Audio. If you really want to get loud then get a Resonant Engineering setup in your car. The Triple X series subs are the gods of spl. If you want sq then go with Infinity Kappa Perfects because I haven't heard anything that has more clarity. You can't be cheap though if you decide to go with any of these. The #1 mistake that most people have with getting systems is that they worry more about price than quality. You might as well get the good stuff from the start so you don't have to go through the pain of upgrading all the time. In the long run, you'll save money by not getting junk that you'll eventually upgrade anyway.

audiophile speakers:
dynaudio
rainbow audio
audax
oz audio
dynavox
eclipse
boston
mb quart
focal
CDT
infinity kappa

invest in any of those, and you wont be dissappointed

Anonymous
i totally agree with josh. when i first decided to get a system, i went with sony xplod because it was the cheapest "brand name" stuff i could find. i ended up not liking it (a lot) and invested in infinity kappa perfect subs and components. if i had just done that from the start, i wouldn't have wasted my money with the sony setup. i couldn't return the xplod crap because best buys only gives you one month to return products. i ended up selling it to some dumb teenager.

Tell you the truth right now i would go with the L5 solo-barics and either amp is good. I personally don't like kicker amps. but their ok. If i was you i would get the L5 12's get any amp sell the amp and buy a bigger amp. I got an L7 15 solo baric in a ported box on 2000 watt memphis that drops. Get the solos put them in a slot port and buy a bigger amp the subs can handle more than what they say. Memphis amps are the ones to go with. Memphis are awesome. Ask around. Try that you will not be disappointed.

Anonymous
I have a old kicker amp hooked up too 2 12's and after a while of bassing hard it clips out. I think cause its RMS is too low for the 12's butt i'am not sure. For this reason i hate the kicker's amp, because when u got a really good tune going and your hiting hard and these chics roll up next to your ride and your s*** cut's out they laugh at you. So these amp's kinda pissed me off i don't recommend them. If someone knows what is wrong pls post here thanks.

Anonymous
System specs

I have 2 12 inch rockfords "single coil's"
sealed box custom mdf

a ix345 kicker amp <=== Clips out

kenwood deck 45 x 4 output

4 x 6 alpine mids dash mounts

I got 4 guage wiring for power and ground
and 12 guage for all speakers
Its wired up parell. So technically i'am only using 2 channels butt the amp is 4 channel.

This setup sounds really clean and hits decent butt when the amp clips its all over lol

DirtTrackRacer
I'd go for the RF system.

Anonymous
Ya i like rockford too i'am never going to use another kicker amp, Butt for my 12's i'am going to get a 800 1000 watt Boss amp i think. To replace the clipper.

DirtTrackRacer
Get the RF amp for your 12's.

James Drew
I have 4 15" L7 and 4 1000 watt RF's. Point being that u need a plastic windshield. thats all.

Hey, anybody selling a rockford fosgate 851X?

mike hawk
i'm in the same situation as brad here. i'm currently in the market for some new subs and i'd like some helpful input too. i already have a rockford fosgate power 851s amplifier (440+ RMS watts x 2). now i'm trying to decide between two 12" rockford fosgate hx2's (power or punch) or two solo-baric 12" subs (L7 or L5).
price isnt too much of a concern for me because i can get any of them at a great price on ebay, but value is always a good quality for anything. if i go with the power hx2's, i'm going to end up having to buy another amp and capicitor as well; but if i go with any of the other 3 sub choices i should be okay with just my single amp. i really want something that is going to have wicked bass that hits VERY hard, i dont really mind if sound quality is compromised to get that great bass either. i know the solo baric's square design should put out more bass because it moves more air, but the power hx2 has like a 19 pound magnet and the punch hx2's are very reasonably priced......
any advice???

Maurice Walker
I Have 2 Rockford fosgate 12's the punch Z series. would it be better just to buy the cheapest JL subs? They are powerd by a 300S amp.
Its not very loud and was considering adding another 300S for dual amps. can anyone give me some advice?

Anonymous
i would have sex with them , i have a dog.

Brad
I haven't finished yet but, im only right now using 2 15L7 Solo-Barics and 2 1400w Kicker amps with 6 3x6 kicker tweeters. Sound is great and hits very hard b/c my box has had more air space, and 2 punchline wires connected for even more power towrads my hit. When i get my other 2 solo's and a 2400w kicker amp for even more power. I've already won 7 small friendly contests, and 3 championships, hopefully once i get my new things i can go for bigger competition.

subfreak
just get 2 JL w7s and JL amps and you will never worry about getting anything else because you will have the best,, "of course thats just my opinion" but considering ive had 8 different systems I would consider my advice wise

if your looking for the best subs, get solo barics.I have 3 12L5 solos with a memphis 1000d, which has never overheated,ever.Hits so hard it amzing, best system ive owned. If you want the best, get kicker and memphis.

Chew sam wang
I have 2 Rockford fosgate he 15' hooked up to a 1000 what kenwood and when they hit it breaks the wire that runs from the voice coil to the place on the back of the speaker where you hook up your up i think rockford made the wire a lil too short there not to good on the duribility. Get some cheap a*s subs in the end they all blow and you just waist your money.

Anonymous
seriously...id go with all kicker because mainly rockford aint that good unless your on a low budget and those L5s pound but the only thing different about rockford and kicker is that kickers are power hungry and u have 2 feed em alot of it if u want em 2 sound good. if u got the L5s id try 2 get a bigger amp.... ive got 3 12in kicker solo barics in the back of my suv(not L5s these are the round ones) and they pound a hellova lot harder than one of my friends who had 2 12in rocks in a hatchback... but thats my opinon and its all about which brand u wanna go for. peace out

Do you want clarity or want the rumble? RF's are more clear than the kickers but as said before, kickers do displace air quite well. The more air you displace also means the less quality. You also need to consider what you'll be placing them in. The enclosure is the biggest factor on the quality of output you want. If you want that crisp clear sound (a quick hard thump) then go with the rockfords in a NON-ported box. If you want to rumble down the road and be heard by every cop within a 5 block area then use the kickers in a ported box (not that RF's can do this either :)

Eric
I had two rf's punch z's and a kicker 400.1 the subs blew after a competition, although they did hit 141.8 db the blew right after wards, my subs were under warenty, so i replaced them with mtx which i traded for 2 12" jl w-0's now there is a lot more base.

Anonymous
Go with rockford fosgate. I agree with those kicker amps they clip out and are junk...

systemstupid
I was hoping someone could help me out? I have a 1996 mazda b2300 pickup truck. Ive been trying to get a system in my truck for a while. currently I have 2 JL 10" W-0 because that about as large as I can get with all the room I have. My box cant get alot of air....would it help to put some air ports in the box to aquire more base?
And I need a amp that is small but will push more then my current kicker 252x1 amp...is there any ideas? thanks

Honey
yo yo chek dis is simple,
get 2 kicker solo x's
5000 watts rms each!!!! (10,000 watts peak power)
rund by 2 legacy amps 2000 watts and a
alpine v12 amp
have 4x kenwood 7x 10's hooked up 2 a 600 watt jetsound amp and some tornado tweets and i swear to god u will go crazy it will blow the back screen out!!!

Anonymous
^^^^^and above we have the reason these discussions take a turn for the worst............

Keane
Everyone has their opinion about rockford and kicker, but together with a rockford amp and any solo baric square sub, your vehicle will POUND. I've got a 15" solo baric L5, and the rockford 1001bd amplifier in a 1985 crx. Best decision of my life, and as far as people hearing u coming, at least three block away.

Anonymous
me and my home boy roll with 4 hx2s in his H2; its loud and a kid i know has 2 L7 and they dont compete

Anonymous
ya Josh i got somthing for ya the loudest I have heard cerwin vega 18" it will beat the infinity bull.

hey can u tell me if jetsound amps r any good? email me @ intercepthis@yahoo.com

ok i juss got this whole system for free so if it sux i want u to tell me,,, i got 2 rockford fosgate 12'' subs and one 1100 watt amp and a 900 watt amp made by jetsound, i also have all the good wire harnessing stuff too. so yea.. and im buying a new deck and changer but im not sure wut i want yet.. so yea.. tell me if its any good please once again email me at intercepthis@yahoo.com

Mr. Bass
You should go for the kicker set up. You see, I used to be a rockford fosgate fan untile I found out that kicker was the real thing. Unfortunately, rockford fosgate has been goin down hill over the years, and kicker is goin up.
Take my word for it, Kicker will not let you down!!!!!!!!!

zacdavis
mr.bass, i disagree, fosgate still makes top of the line products, years ago fozgate made only top shelf products, now they have went "commercial" so instead of just pro shops selling their high priced equipment, now they have cheaper crap to sell at like best buy and other retail stores. i agree that those lines are marginal, but they still build that cutting edge power line, and it's as good as ever.(bd line too)

I have the 2 kicker subs but there L7s. Not alot of diff. I also have a 800.2 kenwood amp on them.
The kicker lacks in power,but still sounds good.The fla the kicker has is that its not 1ohm compatable. So it shuts off when you bridge your amp.Only if you wire your subs parallel.So I would go with the fosgate amp becuse you can drop down the ohms. That means less work for your amp, but you still can bridge the fosgate and get all the watts out of it.You cant with the kenwood it sucks trust me!(E-Bay is always cheaper!)

Bill
Unregistered guest
my personal opinon....kicker sucks in general, for fun i blew an 8" up today. rockfords amps are good, the punch series is better then the power, so ive heard. Personally, i have a power acoustik amp and all polk speakers, crutchfield has them on sale a lot, so you can get them for a great price. They sounds amazing. but thats just me...

Blah
Unregistered guest
Kicker Does Not Suck. Of course you can do better than them, but putting them in the suck catagory is just BS.

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 429
Kicker makes terrific amplifiers, and competent subwoofers.
I'm not a fan of square subs due to design philosophy, but they are good for SPL, which is proven quite often with their L7s. Good stuff in general, though sure as mentioned, there is better stuff out there depending on your budget.

Rockford Fosgate's amplifiers from the early 90s were great, both Punch and Power series.
Their current stuff? You can keep it.

Power Acoustik you can also have, regardless of age.

Crutchfield is always overpriced and with little effort better deals can be found all over the net on everything they sell.
They do have good customer service though, and great product information on their website.

bill
Unregistered guest
i never said power acoustik was good, i just said i have it, it was decent and i could afford it. as far as kicker goes, any of the people ive spoken to, that have been doing this for years, my uncle being one who has done this for 30 or so years, common consensus...kicker sucks, and glass if you read up above, youll see that kickers terrific amps, cut out.

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 447
I've been doing this since the eighties professionally myself.
One of my two degrees is in electrical engineering, I have competed (and won) in the IASCA Pro circuit for several years, and am a master installer.
now that the resumes are out of the way lets get on to the actual discussion.
I've been inside Kicker's products. I have worked bench repair for a car audio shop time to time.
I know well-made when I see it.
People you've talked to I doubt have the qualifications I do, and probably lack the experience as well, not to be offensive.
If the kicker amplifier is cutting out, it's either damaged, or the cause is elsewhere which is most common, such as an inadequate charging system or bad wiring job causing clipping and intermittant protection mode triggers for the amplifier.
You're welcome to your opinion on Kicker though.
For the money, it's a good product, and lightyears beyond things like power acoustik, pyramid, boss, and audiobahn in my own view.

Sure there are much better products out there if you have the coin to go that way. Not everyone does.

by the way if you read Randal's post carefully, the amp he has that is shutting off is a Kenwood, not a Kicker.
Kicker class-D sub amplifiers are indeed 1 Ohm stable, thus he wouldn't have the problem he currently has with overload protection in the amp.
He probably also lacks the high output alternator he needs for an amp large enough to handle a pair of S12L7s (02KX1200.1)

Unregistered guest
Kicker is King. Period.

simply loud
Unregistered guest
I am deciding on getting 2 power hx2's 15" ......or 2 l7 15 solobarics .......which do you think would be louder? with 2 1501bd amps...

Username: Tlo211

Post Number: 9
2 L715's and 2 1201bd amps would hit pretty loud... louder then any rockford subs

Username: Tlo211

Post Number: 10
2 L715's and 2 1501bd amps would hit pretty loud... louder then any rockford subs

Unregistered guest
Im 18 now, and good sounding audio is more important than loud audio

A while ago I bought a Kicker Impulse 12" sub, used for $18. It was before i knew anything about subwoofers, and it turned out to be completely burned out.

Because I didn't want to just throw away the speaker, i decided to rebuild it. I carefully cut away the surround and the spider to get to the coil. I built a new voice-coil tube and carefully wrapped 200 windings or magnet wire around it, 4 rows @ 50 turns. I bonded the windings, coated them with a layer of JB-Weld.. and reset the speaker diaphram in the chasis. then i aligned it, and re-glued the spider and the surround. That speaker still pounded like no other!
(since then i have driven it to death, and rebuit it 5 more times, hehe)

I also repaired an older Rockford fosgate punch 800 a2. The previous owner had pluged it directly into the wall socket (120vac) to burn it out so that he could cash in on the warrenty. Best Buy didn't honor the warrenty though, so he gave it to me for free. I replaced two power-transistors in it which had literally blown up.. and unbelievably it pounds like no-other too.

Currently i have two Kicker C12a oldschool competition drivers. They are just fine for my room, and you dont need to put much power to make em loud.

It is for those reasons that i like Kickers' round subs, and fosgates' amps (although i want an older kicker amp, cause they sounds nice too).

My advice to all is to buy the older pieces of equitment that still work, because they are better than alotta the new stuff thats comming out... just make sure its working first ;-)

tpfimpulse
Unregistered guest
i got 2 freinds that have MA Audio and RE audio. both sound awsome. the 2 12 inch REs are for sale for around $500. and my other freind is sponsered by rockford. i personally prefer rockford so i would go with them. if u wanna b heard tho go with kicker. i know someone else who has the set up u looking at in an trooper. its loud and travels was rated at 152db at sound advise. but my heart is with rockford.
get what u want

2 12s by RE Audio for sale round $500
tpfimpulse@hotmail.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us