Amp volts

Robert j
Unregistered guest
hey all, i have a alpine mrv t-420 specs show that it puts out 340rms brigeded at 14.5volts. must cars if not all only have a 12v battery. so how do i get 14.5v to the amp. by the way it said with 12v it will run 220rms brigeded.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 141
The battery is 12 volts by itself, but when you add a charging system (alternator) the voltage rises. In order to maintain a good charge, the alternator applies more voltage than the battery can drain(in a properly matched electrical system) ,which is why typical car voltage is ~14.4.

Robert J
Unregistered guest
okay thanks but now i have another question. i had a kicker 600.1 running this same sub at 4ohms 300rms. and now i have the alpine amp running that sub but the kicker was so much louder. i even had to turn the bass down with the kicker, but with this alpine amp i can't get it loud enough. it's to where i want to turn my high down. and i have checked ever posible thing to tweak the sub, and to get my highs to be not as loud. and the thing is i was expecting the alpine to be so much louder than the kicker just because it should be pushing 340rms vr 300rms, and that amp is under rated. and yes i know that the kicker is also under rated. but the reason i went for the alpine was it gave me a 4ohm load which is the load that a brahma can handle and the quality, and i new it would be a little louder.

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 157
The kicker is more underrated than the Alpine. While Alpine rates at 14.4, Kicker rates at 13.8 and still underrates the amps, meaning the power of the amp is a good bit more than what it states when voltage is 14.4. Also, 40 watts isn't a lot of difference, honestly. You won't notice chest rattling SPL over a 40 watt upgrade (really it's less than that since the Kicker is more underrated.) Also, what do you have the gains set to? if you had the Kicker set to max, and the Alpine is set to max, the maximum input sensitivity of the amps could be different.

Robert J
Unregistered guest
no i didn't have either of the amps set to max. but how hi is still safe for me to set the HZ? and if i get a 4 ch amp to run my components will i be able to to fine tune my system to be able to get my bass to be about qual with my highs or will i still have the same prob

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 164
What subs are you running on the Alpine amp? What do you mean setting the HZ? How high you can go with the LPF? That depends on the subs. A 4 channel amp will give more power to the highs, but you can turn the gain down to balance it out. Sounds like something isn't quite right. Tell me what subs you have and what ohm they are and we'll see.

Robert J
Unregistered guest
This is what i have right now.

Alpine Head unite CDA 7897

HIGHS
Stock BMW amp for Comp
Stock BMW Comp speckers

BASS
Alpine MRV T-420 2ch 340rms at 4ohm
Brahma MK 11 12inch 2ohm dvc

So how hi can the hz be set before it is not good for the sub, right now i have it set to 60hz. And just forget the other crap i said, i am going to get new comps for the highs, and a new amp maybe 2 if it'll be better. The front comps are 5 1/4 inchs, and the rear is 4inchs. what speakers should i get and what amp to power them. now i know you probably hate try to look for crap for people but i'm not one of the lazy on that wont do some research i'm on this forum and many others every night trying to learn stuff but just havent figured out what i need to peck out speakers for highs and i still need to learn about crossovers and slops and stuff like that. but untile i do i'm going to go with the advise of someone with expernce. So if you would Please Help me?

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 175
Set the LPF higher, around 100-200 hz, and see if there's an improvement. 60 hz will be a lot quieter than 100-200 since 60 and below require a lot more power. Try reversing the polarity and see if that helps. Your subs and front speakers could have a phase problem and may be firing at different times. As far as component speakers go, here is a starting point, I don't know how much you are willing to spend:
Infinity Kappa Perfect
Focal Utopia
CDT classic
DynAudio
Rainbow
MB Quart
JL Audio XR series
Diamond Audio HEX Series
I'd put that Alpine amp on components, forget the rear speakers, then buy a mono sub amp that puts out 1000W RMS or more for that Brahma. JBL 1200.1 is good. That's a start. Which one you would like the most is subjective.

robert J
Unregistered guest
but i can't find a amp that was 1 or 4ohms stable because brahma only comes in 2ohm dvc. I think that mmats are 1ohm stable but i can't remmember. do you have any suggestion.

and the hz being at 100-200 that won't hert the sub with those higher frequensy.

Silver Member

GA USA

Post Number: 177
JBL amps are 1 ohm stable. It'll put out 1200 watts at either 1 or 2 ohms. Cheap, too, under $300 online. It won't hurt the subs, most subs can play up to 500 hz safely if you want them to, it's just not preferable because it'll pull all the bass to the back the higher the frequency is. The really low bass is ambidextrous, that's why people cross them lower. I haven't had any issues crossing them at 100-125.

Robert J
Unregistered guest
Is there a amp that is better than JBL, and i don't really don't wont to put more than 800 rms to that sub. because any thing 1000rms and above will void the warrenty.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us