Engine Noise Problem--

Bronze Member
Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 36
Ok just got my 2 rear speakers wired up to my amp. They worked fine when i hooked them up because i only tried it with the battery on. this morning i heard the engine noise. even with the volume down or all to the front speakers i can still hear it. is this caused by a bad ground or what??

thanks

-Duff

Bronze Member
Username: Joe718

Post Number: 13
yes it could be a bad ground, but there are some lil thing you could check also make sure that your amp isnt making body contact with the car, or upgrading the type of patch cable your using, if all else fails your going to need some sort of noise suppressor. theres one that goes inline to the HU's preamp output then to the patch cable, that usually cleans it up. Good luck

Bronze Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 37
ok what is 'body contact'? and what is the patch cable??? I really need to get this fixed becaues i dont have any sound from my rears now and it sounds funky. lol

-Duff

Bronze Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 38
where do i mount the grond? just anywhere on the car that has BARE metal. like could i go behind the carpet walling in the trunk and mount it to the metal in the trunk? how would i mount it to a piece of metal though???

-Duff

Silver Member
Username: Soccer

Post Number: 132
Try to get a suitable terminal to mount it in one of the seat belt's lower structure. They usually make good ground points.

Bronze Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 39
ok i mounted it to the trunk floor...stripped the paint. i think it is a pretty good ground but im still getting a little noise. i seperated the ground from the power wire. what could be the problem here??

-Duff

Anonymous

do you have your audio cables running beside the power wires?

Bronze Member
Username: Joe718

Post Number: 18
Joao was right the seatbelt is a good place to mount the ground wire and never mount your amp straight to the frame of the car use. Mount a board to the chassis of the car and drill the amp to the board. Also make sure your patch cables those are the wire that send the signal from your head unit to your amp. Try to run these wires on the opposite side of your battery wire

Silver Member

Post Number: 133
Also try to make the ground connection the shortest possible

Bronze Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 40
ok i think im going to have to rewire my rca's .

that is probably my problem ... thanks... also why would i mount my ground to a piece of wood?? that is NOT a good ground if im not mistaken. im pretty sure wood is NOT a good conductor at all.

Bronze Member
Username: Hairball

City of Angels

Post Number: 66
Joseph was talking about mounting your amp to a piece of wood, you still need to ground the amp to a good metal contact.

Bronze Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 41
ok that is already done. i mounted my amp to a piece of wood. that is fixed. i re grounded the ground wire and that is solid and un paint and clean. im pretty sure it is the RCA Cables but i want to know if there is a way to make sure before i rewire everything and it still happens...thanks.

-Duff

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 126
It could also be the head unit ground. Recheck it and try running a chassis ground just like you did for the amp. If the head unit's ground isn't good, the noise will go through the RCA's to the amp. That's why volume doesn't affect it. However, try turning down the amp gain. If it gets quieter the more the gain is turned down, that means the noise is coming from the head unit's signal or the RCA cables. If turning down the gain quiets the noise(it'll quiet, not totally go away) it indicates that the signal from the Head unit is where the ground noise is coming from. If it was the amp ground, it would be the same volume no matter what the gain was set at. Also, if the RCA's cross the power wire at some point, make sure they run perpandicular so no inductance occurs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 135
Be carefull not to use self locking screws to fix the ground, use instead some kind of nut and bolt, that way it won't get loose in time. After getting a good ground, you can aplly some varnish, it will help prevent corrosion.

Silver Member

Post Number: 136
Also, have you checked the ignition module supressor? It's a capacitor destinated to cut noises from the engine. As you accelerate, do you hear the noise getting "thinner" (if i'm saying it correctly)?

Username: Gbstylez87

Post Number: 5
Does anyone know how to hook up a noise filter to get rid of that noise?

Silver Member

Post Number: 139
In series with the power line of the device making the noise

Anonymous

hmmmmm..... yeah what they said.......

Bronze Member

Michigan America!

Post Number: 43
ok i rewired my RCA cables to the opposite side of the car. helped a lot but still very low whine from the speakers. it cant be the ground or the rca cables since I redid both of them. the amp is also mounted on wood. what else could be my problem i can think of nothing..

thanks

-Duff
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us