First person ever :-(

Silver Member
Username: Charlesbhs

Dallas, Tx USA

Post Number: 410
well bmw did diagnostic tests yesterday on the beamer and they figured out that i killed the battery and that i fried the computer in the car, which pretty much controls EVERYTHING!! and well... i fried the first bmw computer ever... they said nothing like this has ever happened before:-( now you might be wondering about the cost.... well im not even sure if i wanna say...

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Gunshine , State Flawda

Post Number: 2931
900 plus labor

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx USA

Post Number: 412
well orignally they were gonna have to ship a new computer from germany... but luckily they found one over here... so since they have never done anything like this they have no idea what labor will be.... so i dont even know the final price yet

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4659
WTF did you do to that thing?

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx USA

Post Number: 413
Original thread: https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/off-topic/414516.html

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4661
Ah, I see.

Not disconnecting negative battery cable first FTL

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5643
wow that sucks

Silver Member
Username: Mj23dynasty

Some where 12 wangin o..., The Mighty J... USA

Post Number: 834
Cpu for my camry is 5 stacks so I can imagine it will be a lot more than 900 plus labor...

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 2212
my guess: 9500 with labor....

while theyre tearin it apart, ask em to wire up your system too...most expensive install ever period

Gold Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 1786
i dont see why unplugging the ground should mater i would think the positive side... cuz thats what has the current going through it you car is a ground i just wanted to say that....

but damn..... sorry to hear that i rem. u saying that that sucks alot.... but it can be fixed a guy pickeup a 745LI that was totaled.... and peiced another one together wtf.... tha comp was all in the rear and some how they got it to work it was crazy if i new how to upload pics i would...

but sorry to hears.... screw a comp put a 406 chevy motor in it an ride you will be one cool dude

like that guy with the 572 in tha cadillac dts look for it on you tube im bout to leave work and dont feel like lookin for it sorry to hear your lose

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4679
" your car is a ground "

And WHY is that? Because your chassis is connected to the battery negative. Disconnecting that wire from the battery causes all the metal on the car not to be grounded anymore. So nothing will happen when you touch a power wire to your chassis.

It is critical to always disconnect the chassis ground before doing ANY electrical work. If you don't, well you ask Charles what can happen. (not making fun of you Charles).

Silver Member
Username: Vtouch06

Q-TowN, PiStoLvAniA

Post Number: 134
damn sorry to hear that dude, when you first posted up the thread n i read it and saw BMW and no electric working in the car at all, at that point i knew you fried something. n cuz its a Beamer i dnt even want to imagine the price.....

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3192
Sorry to hear that man.
there are some cpu's on ebay for BMW cars for under 200. If its just the CPU, it is just a few screws and a clip. Are they going to cover it under warrenty? I hope so. I bet it will be in the $2500 region. 15 hours @$100 p/h plus $1000 for cpu.
Man thats bummer. You think there would be some fuses on the CPU to prevent that. There are fusible links in most cars that are not servicible, but are provide in the case of an accident it will blow in a short thus preventing a fire.

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1311
I thought you were supposed to leave the neg on the battery connected but disconnect the pos?

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

You can call me Scroog...

Post Number: 3394
installing without knowing FTL... new car thats lost about 10 grand in value now

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4685
Damn where do people get this false info from............

before working on ANYTHING electrical, disconnect all negative cables at the battery. If you have multiple batteries you must do this for all of them.

Only after that is done is it safe to work.

Silver Member
Username: Yukhui

3 15 AA Havocs, Memphis 4kw!!

Post Number: 808
My dad's old mercedes computer was a grand USED.

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Team Revolution, Texas

Post Number: 1314
thanks M.S., I had it backwards apparently

Silver Member
Username: Kpa2727

Post Number: 795
sell the beemer buy a new one it prob be cheeper. j/k but i'm tellin u man i think bmw is just raking u over the coals for tampering with the car outside of a warrenty. logically i think bmw is just dumping all the brains for saftey but i bet it's fine, after all think about it the battery got grounded. this can't be the first time a beamer ever got grounded, hell ever here of a flood?

Gold Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 1792
ima try it that... way and just see what it does.... im pretty sure you get some electricty to go through if thers no Positive whats it matter.... no electricy is flowing.... electrticty finds the least path of resistance so you saing that the batt. is the only thing causing a ground in the whole car?????
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us