Alt problem?

Silver Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 713
So I got my new 200 amp alt from DB installed with the big 3 and everythings running pretty good. Only issue I have with it is when my car is at idle, i'll hear it whining, but once I press on the gas, the whine will go away. I do not have my system installed yet and I have already gone and made sure all grounds have a clean solid connection. Any ideas? Could it be my battery?

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5462
does the alt itself whine or does it come threw the speakers? and did this happen before you installed it?

Silver Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 719
no, it's actually comming from the alt itself. My 105 stock alt did not whine before this.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4059
So the noise is physically coming out of the alternator?

Did the alt come with a new pulley, or are you using your stock pulley?

Did you check your belt tension after putting everything back together?

Silver Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 720
Yes, the alt came with a new pully but I did not check the tension. What would I be looking for?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4086
Is the new pulley a different size than the old one? If so, theres your problem. If it's smaller you will need a shorter belt, that or you can put the stock pulley on it.

No offence but if you don't know how to check belt tension, identify if you have a manual or automatic tensioner, etc, perhaps you shouldn't be working on it yourself. I can't tell you exactly what to do since every car is different, would have to see it in person.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 5862
I'm wondering what the hell happened to my post about this.

"Yes, the alt came with a new pully but I did not check the tension. What would I be looking for?"

What you can do is go under the hood and move the belt by your hand up and down,it shouldn't move much because it should be pretty tight as far as pressing up all the pulleys goes.You can also have a friend sit inside the vehicle and rev up the engine if it's pretty loose you should be able to see the belt expand and then tighten up as RPM increases.If you have an automatic tensioner you either need to check to see if your belt needs to be replaced,make sure your tensioner is working properly or get a shorter belt because of the smaller pulley.If you don't have an automatic tensioner you should be able to loosen a bolt or two that mounts the alt and you can put more tension on the belt by applying pressure to the alt away from the rest of the pulleys and then tightening the bolts back up.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 5863
"No offence but if you don't"

The rest of that sentence is a bit funny but it's spelled "Offense" :-) Just looking out for a brother, I wouldn't want you to fail your next spelling bee contest :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us