Got to test a new audio brand today....

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana 2 DD3515s, 2...

Post Number: 5474
Well, one of our reps came by today and had a new brand for us to try out. He said the amps were designed by the guy that did Phoenix Golds amps back in the 90's (PG's hayday). The brand was called NRG-Audio...corny, yea...

He only had one amp model w/ him, it was rated 900wrms @ 2ohm...I said, "great a nice amp for a pair of DD1500's". He brakes it out, not a bad looking amp. Brushed, anodized look. Fan cooled. Small-ish footprint...looked kinda promising.

Then he broke out their 12" 300wrms sub...not a bad looking sub. Push terminals, magnet boot, 2" DVC or SVC 2ohm coil, poly-cone (CF-look), DD EROM wanna-be surround. So, I free-air the sub on a Clarion APX1300 (300w@4ohm). No mechanical noise to speak of. I decide to try it in a box, I stick in in a prebuilt and try it out.

Right off the bat...something is wrong...strange sound. Get to looking at the sub and the glue-joint on the surround is separated about 1-2" at about the 11:00 position. Hummm...thats not good...BNIB and its messed up :-(....He goes out to the car and gets another one. We replace the messed up 12" w/ the new one and play it. It out performs Clarions entry level 12"...and pricing would allow us sell it for the same price. Not bad, but in the back of my mind I'm thinking about that first sub. I'm VERY skeptical now.

We then go back to the amp...its rated 600w @ 4ohm, 900w @ 2ohm. I hook it up on the lil bench we have and play it...Right off i notice it takes ALOT of input voltage to get anything out of the amp. Hook it up to their 12" sub...you cant tell the difference in this 600w @ 2ohm vs Clarions 300w @2ohm.....HUMMM???

I brake out the multimeter :-)

Burped the sub on both the Clarion APX1300 and the NRG-900wrms. Voltage started at 12.7v and dropped to ~12.4v in the tests....RESULTS:

Clarion APX1300 (rated 300w @ 4ohm, 400w @ 2ohm)
50hz
26.8V x 3.3A = ~88w @ 8.1ohm

60hz
25.8V x 3.5A = ~90w @ 7.37ohm

NRG 1200 (rated 600w @ 4ohm, 900w @ 2ohm)
50hz
30V x 3.6A = ~ 108w @ 8.33ohm

I look at our rep and say, "No chance I would ever call this a 900wrms amp, maybe 900w peak".

He insists that its 900wrms and says maybe is just this amp...so he goes to the car and gets another NRG-1200. (same amp)

The subs VC has cooled by now.

NRG-1200 (#2)
50hz
29.1V x 3.9A = ~113.5w @ 7.46ohm

60hz
28V x 3.9A = ~109.2w @ 7.18ohm

Well...the NRG amps are 0/2.

The rep starts talking about how maybe the sub is just not ment for ported boxes, and how much more efficient some subs are in sealed. (Yeah...blow that smoke somewhere else)

I show him the math that the NRG amp is only producing ~60.5% of rated power (they are rated at 14.4V...I used 12V to calculate).

I show him that I went by OHM's Law. I explain that a reactive load is a reactive load...ported, seal, BP...but thats just over his head.

Well...all in all my boss and I concluded this:

-We WILL NOT be carry NRG Audio.

-The NRG-1200 is MAY BE about a 550w amp at 2ohm at 14.4V

The rep boxed up the NRG stuff and talked about getting it retested back at the office. I told him to email me all the #'s they come up w/.

I am wondering how the hell they came up w/ 600wrms @ 4ohm and 900wrms @ 2ohm?????

Yes, my testing was VERY basic...but bottom line:

-This "900wrms" amp failed to out perform Clarions 400wrms (entry level) amp by ear in and heads up comparison.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3956
Damn that must be cool to be able to test new audio equipment

But good lookin out we know to stay away from NRG Audio now

Gold Member

Post Number: 5475
Well...I just had a fvkd up idea on how they may have come up w/ these BS ratings:

They only used Voltage and had no clue WTF Ohm's Law is...

You see, the highest voltage I got out of the amp was 30V. (and that was alil distorted)

30 x 30 = 900

Maybe the amp manufacturer is just that stupid???

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12474
seems like every mth some1 wants to come out with a new car audio company

i didnt get the meaning of the initials right away but at the end of reading ur post it hit me it probably menas ENERGY Audio ...duhhh...

Silver Member
Username: Turnmat

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 476
i thought it stood for (Not Really Good) NRG lol

Silver Member
Username: Jesse59672

OKLAHOMA

Post Number: 766
It's kind of sad when they send their sells rep that doesn't know sh1t about their product or anything of electricity for that matter

Gold Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 1202
I can see next weeks top thread....

(Need new gear)
I need a new system and hear that NRG has some wicked stuff. Should I get their sub with a Sony amp?

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

-apem

Post Number: 15695
man i wish i had all the equipment to test stuff.

good one canaan.

Silver Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 787
A local shop was talking to me about carrying them, and yeah the stuff looks half decent. But the name is corny and I'm glad you were able to test the stuff before saying ok. Great writeup on that.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5477
Yea, we werent even going to test it at first. We were just going to get a few items and see how they were down the road.

Then I had the idea to free-air the sub, there was a prebuilt box sitting right there so I stuck it in. After hearing the messed up sound, we dove off in to the whole testing.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us