System build on a power budget

Username: Replay

Post Number: 4
My project system has a limited power sypply. I know this might be a bit unusual but any suggestions will be helpful. Please keep in mind the HU I will be using has the SRS CSA feature. My main concern is amp selection. Hope to build a system with some degree of SQ. Should also be able to run headlights and wipers when needed.

Vehicle information

Yr Make Model: '70 VW Beetle
Charging system: generator 30amp
Battery: 45Ah
Ignition system: conventional (No electronics)
A/C: N/A

Planed Upgrades

Charging system: Alternator 75Amp
Battery: Optima (undecided)
Big 3: 4awg fused 125a alt/bat

Existing or Available

HU: JVC KD-HDR1 (will use)
Front: Kickpanels 6 1/2" openings
Rear: Infinity 692.7i (existing)
Pioneer ts-w254c 10" svc 4ohm 250w-500w in Pro Bend Band Pass box (Available option for rear)

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3884
Ok lets take this step by step,

Good decision on the Optima battery.

You will need a 2 channel amp for your front speakers.

Rear speakers are not used in SQ systems but if you have to have them, just run them off the HU. More on that subject:

http://www.glasswolf.net/caraudio/rearfill.html

You will need a class D amp for your sub. Your current 30 amp alternator will probably not support hardly any amplifier. But if you get the 75 amp you should be able to run a 500 watt amp.

That sub is not an SQ sub, so consider changing that unless you really want to use that one.

Absolute biggest problem I can see: bandpass box. That's a major no-no, as they sound like complete crap. The absolute worst box possible for SQ. A ported box tuned very low would be ideal (assuming you get an SQ based sub).

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

Post Number: 1025
Maw 12. 1.8 - 2 cubes, 28 Hz. Sorry. Lol. I love mine. I'm done.

Almost.
http://www.mach5audio.com/index-2.html
http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=205
It'll take 500W RMS no problem. Mine get ~500W each, and the dust cap stays cool. Just keep an eye on the excursion.

Post Number: 5
M.S.
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the advise on the sub and bandpass box. Found it real cheap when I was out junkin' one day. More of a novelty than anything for me.
Read the rear-fill page before but I went back and read it again. Guess I'm aiming more for the surround sound setup at least for now. Check out that Charger. Brings back memories of my '70 GTX. Now that was the day. LOL.
The 75 amp alt is first on my list. I realy don't think it will give me enough power for two diffrent amps though. I'm thinking a four chanel amp would give me a lot more options.

cam
Thanks for the input. Think I read somewhere you have an eD NINe.4. Something along this line might be what I need. Don't know if the 55amp max current draw might be pushing it a little. Might have to break out my glasses for those slot terminals.
Have you ever listened to there eDi 6000s v.2 speakers? Haven't herd any thing about them myself.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1035
Yeah, I do have a NINe.4. It runs my components only now. I have an Earthquake D-10 running the MAWs. MS, I know where you stand on the Earthquake. Yes, the slot terminals can be a b!tch. Just an extra minute per terminal, probably. You should be fine running that on the 75A alt. I ran one on my 55A tracker alt., and no Big 3, and it was fine, even running just maxed out, probably clipping more than it should have been. I have heard pretty good things about those speakers, never heard them unfortunately. The nicest speakers I've heard are my a/d/s 245ix, which sound really good to me. Umm. I'm sure you'd be happy with the 6000s. Maybe a NINe.2 and an Alpine PDX600.1, since you need efficiency a class D, or another efficient type, might be the way to go, for the subs.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3965
Running a 2 channel amp for your speakers and a mono class D amp for your sub will draw less power than running everything off say a 4 channel amp. Here's why: the full range 2 and 4 channel amplifiers are much less efficient than a class D amp, as they are class AB. A class D amp can't be used to higher frequencies, only bass (I won't go into a big explanation of why). But anyways, by running the sub off a class AB amp you would be wasting power.

As far as earthquake goes............ crap to put it bluntly. I've see quite a few of their amps blown.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1037
The point of saying that I know where you stand was to avoid bringing it into this thread. Oh well.

Let us know what you're thinking of getting, man.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3979
Haha cam I know YOU know where I stand, but Glen didn't.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1044
Alright well, opinion is it's a great amp, does the power I need at 4 ohms, and stays really cool. Gotta get it benched some time. I've heard so many different ratings, that I have no idea what it's actually doing. MS, the one thing I did find strange, was all it's got inside for power was a couple runs of 8 gauge. I figured for 6, 5, or 4 kW, whatever it does, it should have a little heavier wire.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1045
Hmm, I should have been clearer, it's got 2 runs for +, and 2 for -. I'm sure you've seen pics.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3996
Even if that amp did do 6kw (which I really doubt) you would never get that much out of it without a MONSTER electrical system

Gold Member

Post Number: 1048
Which is why I need to get it benched.

Post Number: 6
Man! Ya'll are going to make me get a sub huh! Ok, I'm willing to build a ported box (say 2-cubes) and use the sub I've got first with a small class D amp. I can always change out the sub.

I think cam is using what I call options, 4 channel amp bridged for the front. Any problem with somthing like 50x4 bridged vs 2 channel as long as I use 4ohm components? Even if I ran across something say 75x4 could I use only 2 of the 4 channels without harm to the amp?

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4028
There would not be a problem doing that, but the 2 channel amp will probably cost you less. High power 4 channel amps get expensive. (well, good quality ones anyways).

About the box, subs ans boxes are not interchangeable, the box needs to be built to the specs of the specific sub. If you look up your sub on pioneer's web site it should tell you what volume the box needs to be and what frequency range it should be tuned in.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1066
Well, I believe a 2 channel putting out ~100 W/channel would be more efficient than a 4 channel bridged to do ~100 W/channel. This is sort of a half-educated guess, though.

Post Number: 7
OK, I'm sold on the 2 channel. I believe it would be more efficient as well. Question, if I locate the amp under the rear seat it would be close to the battery. Would there be any reason not to run the ground from the amp directly to battery negative?

Went to pioneer's site. They do not have the specs listed on that sub. It might be to old. Guess I'll scrap that idea and look for another sub. Could I get by with a 10" and what type VC/ohm should I look for.

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Gunshine , State Flawda

Post Number: 2633
i have two high quality 2-channel amps for sale.

1) Dr. Crankenstein M-80

puts out 80 watts per channel @ 4ohms
USA MADE AND DESIGNED

will probably only draw 15 amps

PRICE: 115 shipped anywhere in US

2) Blade SE-2100

beautiful, rare, usa made and designed. old school, smallllll footprint.

put out 100 per channel @ 4 ohms.

will draw about same current as crankenstein amp because it is sooo efficient.

Blade is one of the elite amplifier manufacturers. Just as good, if not better than, Zapco and McIntosh. extremely nice amp.

PRICE: 260 shipped anywhere in US

NOT TRYING TO SUCKER YOU INTO BUYING THESE JUST SAYING THEY FIT YOUR NEEDS AND POSSIBLY YOUR BUDGET :-)

my email is jkidder01(at)earthlink.net

AIM - JK32SHO

thanks, JK

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4062
" Would there be any reason not to run the ground from the amp directly to battery negative? "

No in fact that is the best way to ground it.

As for coils on the sub, what coils you need depends on what amp you decide to get. IMO, the way to go about this is to choose a sub, then find an amp that can properly power it, then get the correct coils on the sub based on the amp you chose.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 5035
M.S a good sub for him would be infinity, they sound decent and don't need a lot of power.

Gold Member

Gunshine , State Flawda

Post Number: 2672
http://hsuresearch.com/products/asw-1203.html

best sub for your needs!!!!

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4093
Agreed Infinity makes very nice relatively low power subs

Gold Member

Gunshine , State Flawda

Post Number: 2677
http://hsuresearch.com/products/asw-1203.html

x2^^^^

Post Number: 8
Thanks to all for your responses. You have been most helpfull in mapping out my game plan. It's quite obvious I still have some research to do. I've found some good informational links on this site that will be of great help. This project will take a while and I'll try to stop back and give you an update from time to time.

So, I'm off to my first step. Going to order up an alternator and some wiring. This will be a project in itself.

I've always thought "Old guys can't Bump!". Now I'm thinking maybe we can just not as low. LOL

Gold Member

Gunshine , State Flawda

Post Number: 2725
my dads 53 and has a 15" and 800 watts. who said oldies cant bump
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us