Burning Up

Silver Member
Username: Cplaya280

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 737
ok couple weeks ago my amp kept cutting out so i checked everything and saw that the powerwire goin into the amp was all black and corroted and burnt. so i restripped the wire and it worked good but then like 3 days later i looked at the wire again and it was on its way to turnin all black again why does this keep happening im gonna run out of wire soon lol but yeah is there something wrong with my amp or something. i have zx1500.1 amp with 2 12" l7's runnin everything stock for now 105A alt and regular car battery. Any advice would be great.

Username: Jjproductions

Post Number: 10
You might want to check out your ground wire. Sounds like theres just too much going through your wire. What gauge is it? If you're running too much through an 8 or 16 gauge then you're going to need something bigger.

Silver Member
Username: •cam•

Post Number: 911
What gauge and length is the wire?

Silver Member
Username: •cam•

Post Number: 912
Beat me. I'd go at least 2 AWG.

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 738
yea my wires are all 2 guage goin into the amp

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Again, Id check the ground.

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 739
why would the ground wire be the problem tho how would that make the power wire burn up? The ground wire isn't burning up do u think it could just be loose or something

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 740
bump

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
If you arent grounding out the extra power that would be a problem. That would be why you would check that...

Something could be loose or you could have a fray or something in the line.

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 741
alright well i guess i'll check out the ground and make it tighter if i can make it any tighter not sure. But if thats not the problem idk what else it would be

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Oh, sorry, that second line was about the power cable not the ground cable. I meant your power cable could be loose or have a fray or something in the line which would not be healthy at all.

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 742
yea i restripped that wire like 3 times already within a month. Could it possibly be the amp at all becuase like 5 months ago all my wires touched together and melted the plastic part that the power wire goes in so i had to like clean it all up to get the melted plastic off but would that affect the wire burning up that happend awhile ago i mean like the amp still works fine tho but idk if that little accident could have effected anything with like the components inside the amp

Silver Member
Username: Press1

Yuba City, CA USA

Post Number: 258
Burnt wire = too much current flow or bad connection. In your case that amp/wire combo is fine. That leaves poor connection, usually at the burn point. Burning or discoloration is caused when there is resistance to flow, causing heat at the point of resistance.

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 1908
the zx1500 manual clearly states it needs 0/1 gauge to function properly....that's probably not the source of your problem but giving the amp what it needs to work right is a damn good start...i'd say replace all the wiring going to the amp (new 0/1 gauge aka buy a kicker pkd1 for about 90 bucks on ebay) make sure all the connections are good.

also, you said the terminals got melted...if the power and ground wires or terminals (metal parts) ever touch each other, they'll short, hopefully blowing the anl...

has your fuse been blown many times recently?

unfortunately, if your terminals melted together its causing like a permanent short, or its shorting out like ever few bumps or somethin...either way if that happened its not good

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 743
no it actully has not blown at all the anl fuse is fine. its just where the power wire goes into the amp that part always gets all burnt up after like 3-4 days of playin my system. do u think the wires touching could have shorted sumthin inside the amp and maybe thats why the wire is getting so hot?? or it might be the connection to the amp because i had to drill out my allen screw because it got stripped but made it to big so now im jusing just a selp tappin screw to hold the wire in place. the screw is the same size as what i used to screw my subwoofers into my box so its not big at all

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 744
Burnt wire = too much current flow or bad connection. In your case that amp/wire combo is fine. That leaves poor connection, usually at the burn point. Burning or discoloration is caused when there is resistance to flow, causing heat at the point of resistance.

Ok this seems like great advice but how would i fix the problem because this seems like the problem that is described above

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 745
bump

Bronze Member
Username: Moz

Post Number: 47
why dont you just go buy some 1/0 awg off ebay for like $50 thats what i did

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 746
i dont think thast the problem and i know 0/1 guage wont fit in the power wire slot on the amp because its melted so only 2 gauge fits barly

Silver Member
Username: Kingandsons07

Lincoln, Nebraska U.S.A

Post Number: 291
on my zx1500.1 i use 0/1 guage

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 747
yea prob cuz u didnt melt ur amp terminals like i did lol

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 748
bump again need anymore advice from any other people

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12417
that 2g u have is it true 2g good quality or econo stuff ? ......

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 749
its good quality its true 2 guage i spent like 50 bux on ebay for this is what i got.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DB-LINK-2-GAUGE-COMPETITION-CAR-AUDIO-AMP-WIRING-KIT_W0QQite mZ270178628169QQihZ017QQcategoryZ32808QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

its alot better then the last wire i got for like 30 bux but i was to lazy to take that out of my old car that got totalled in an accident so i went and bought a more expensive one and just feels better.

Silver Member
Username: Torn

Post Number: 214
http://www.knukonceptz.com/ for wires.

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 1914
i like kicker hyperflex more thann knukonceptz 0/1, buts thats just my opinion, easier to work with

buy some 0/1 gauge to 2 or 4 gauge reducers if you can't fit it in there....

ground wires always seem to be pretty warm, if not hot, but in all seriousness, please replace the wire....if you're not giving an amp what it NEEDS to function properly...well it won't function properly.

if at that point its still malfunctioning, you're gonna need to send it back to kicker and maybe get those terminals replaced...

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 750
the ground wire was not warm at all the power wire was really hot tho. What can i use to secure the power wire better in the amp terminals since i dont have the allen screw cuz i stripped it out. Right now im just using a regular screw like the same size screws you use to put the sub in a box.

Silver Member
Username: Press1

Yuba City, CA USA

Post Number: 259
Like I said, the heat will be coming from the point where there's a resistance to flow...I said that before you mentioned melting your amp terminals. Using a small screw to secure a 2ga wire is not going to work...that is the point of resistance, that is why your wire is burning. Send it in to get repaired before you fry the amp.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us