Dd3515 hella hot

Silver Member
Username: Torn

Post Number: 204
yesterday was testing my dd3515 wired it to 2 ohms onto a kicker kx 1200.1 amp and turned gain 75% of the way up with bass boost off. was bumping it for 40 mins and took it out of the box and the magnet was hella hot, that normal for the 3515's magnet to get hella hot?

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Team Revolution

Post Number: 2699
wy was your gain up that high?

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 5407
Turning up your gain 75% of the way up doesn't tell us anything.We don't know what voltage the head unit is putting out and we don't know what volume levels you're playing at.Set your gain with a digital multimeter or you can kiss that sub and amp goodbye.

Silver Member

Post Number: 205
was playing at volume 28 and voltage stayed at 12 volts or higher constant.

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Gunshine , State Flawda

Post Number: 2295
he means the voltage the HEAD UNIT PUTS OUT. meaning preamp. prolly 2.5-5volts. u need to set ur gain the right way tho. go to www.realmofexcursion.com and go into forum then amplifiers then its a sticky on the top that says "setting amplifier gains"

Silver Member

Post Number: 206
voltameter on the fuse block would work for setting the gains on a amp? and how would i know if it's just right?

Silver Member
Username: •cam•

Post Number: 908
No, that meter tells you the voltage that the amps are seeing. Do what JK said. You need a multimeter, or a voltmeter, to watch the voltage that the sub is seeing.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 6824
what they are trying to tell you is if you dont set the amp with the multimeter the way the link tells you then your amp will probably clip which is why your having problems

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3508
Yeah you were probably clipping that thing.

Set your gain right:

http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/setgain.asp

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

BME

Post Number: 3377
http://www.icixsound.com/iv/view_video.php?viewkey=929b125f8597834fa83a

WATCH THAT

Silver Member

Post Number: 207
damn thank you all! and thanks for Berny on the vid been looking for that vid for awhile. Gonna install a new setup this weekend pics will be posted before install thanks again.

Silver Member

Post Number: 209
Also M.S what about those amps that put out more power than they rate it at? would i use same volt as what that tool tells me? Im gonna be running a mmats D300HC and people been saying they do more than what they rate it.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3526
In that case you would put into that calculator the amount of watts the amp actually puts out.

Silver Member

Post Number: 217
that i don't know, amp guts says 1200 @2ohm and other people says it's underated and prolly do 1600 lol, can't calrify it though. know anyone who owns or had one?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5426
MMATS amps do more than rated power but only if you have the charging to support that power.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

-apem

Post Number: 15535
^^^^^^^yep.

before i changed my yellow top, the bass just didn't seem like it was hitting like before. its cause the battery was bad. the voltage was dropping down to like 11volts. once i got it changed with the kinetik, the voltage don't drop below 13.2. it hits much better. the amp is more efficient.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5427
The reason it was getting hot is because you were clipping it for sure.On 600 watts that DD sub should never get hot because that's what the KX1200.1 is rated at,600x1@2ohms and that's not enough power to get a 3515 moving.

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 5370
damn, just noticed that, only wired at 2ohm. why the hell would you get such a nice sub and not properly power it?

why not sell me the sub before you clip it to death?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6842
^^^thats for sure....not to full potential we tested a 3512 on 700 watts I think (pretty sure) they need the 1200 to get their full potential

Gold Member

Post Number: 6843
my post was referring to Robs post

Gold Member

Post Number: 5428
I'd feed anywhere between 1500 and 2000 watts RMS to a 3515.

Silver Member

Post Number: 222
gonna install all during the weekend, i got my isolator and the kinetiks hc800 already; Hope that's enough to power the matts and the 2 amps for the mids and fronts.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6851
shoulda got the Ho alt before the batts....unless you have one?

Silver Member
Username: Skies

Courtenay, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 819
...The magnet got hot?

Meaning, the coil got so hot that the heat transferred to the magnet?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5436
" i got my isolator and the kinetiks hc800 already; Hope that's enough to power the matts and the 2 amps for the mids and fronts."

It won't be enough.Not even close.It might last a few minutes though.You NEED to install a high output alternator.Stop spending money on amps and subs or speakers and get that alt Torn.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6856
yep....I was assuming he didnt have the Ho alt. You know something people forget too. Alternators get hot after a while and efficiency goes down. They arent made for continuous max or near max draw.

Silver Member
Username: Cblaze

Tn Us

Post Number: 258
thats true when u make a alternater drop in volts after a while they just start to get worse and ur subs wont hit as hard,mine caught on fire but them ho alternaters arent cheap

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 650
mmats suck
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us