Ported Box tuning??!!?

Bronze Member
Username: Gtasouthpark

Post Number: 13
Ok, so ive read tons of stuff, and i know i need a couple of sub boxes. (2 boxes, both 1.7cu feet for a 12" alpine type R). anyway, i know they need to be ported... but how do you do that. like what is tuned to 28hz or w/e mean? (i want to build my own box, because they are really expensive, and i don't have a lot of room in my trunk). soooo. anybody know what the deal is?

Silver Member
Username: O0airjordan120o

MN US

Post Number: 142
well there are a few diff. kind of ports. squares, slot, and circular. i would go with a slot. just cus its easier. u will want around 12 sq inches per square foot. so if ur box is 1ft3 u would make a slot like 6x2. the 28 hz is the frequency u want to be louder then the rest. higher the number higher the pitch. you change the frequency by changing the port LENGTH. so say i have a 2x6 port its going to be maybe 14 inches deep to hit a certain frequency. the longer the port the lower the frequency.
heres a site that will do all the plans for you if u just enter the data

http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/ported-box.asp?Ew=28&Eh=15&Dia=6&Xmax=15.8&V d=.197&NumW=1&Vb=2&Fb=30&Qts=.35&Vas=.81&Fs=34.96&CE=1.5

and heres a site if u want to do a custom box will calculate the port size.

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
wow thanks a lot man. i was gonna make some weird lookin box, kinda like a triangle or somethin. thanks man. :-)

Silver Member

MN US

Post Number: 143
and heres the box i would go with for you.

http://www.subwoofertools.com/forum/ported-box.asp?Ew=24&Eh=15&Dia=6&Xmax=18.2&V d=.071&NumW=1&Vb=2&Fb=30&Qts=0.47&Vas=1.58916&Fs=29&CE=0

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
hey, that might just work. The thing says 1.7cu feet for recommended install... so is there a difference between 2cu feet and 1.7? + whats the difference between tuning the box to 28hz rather than 30 or 32 (like what sound difference)?

Silver Member

MN US

Post Number: 144
more air space=louder. probably wont hear a difference from 28 to 30 or 30 to 32 but u might hear a diff from 28 to 32. the lower the number the lower the sound so at 28 it will sound lower then at 32 which will sound higher pitched. most SPL enclosers are around 40 to 50. most street are around 30. i have mine around 35 and sounds good. i would go with 30 if i were you

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
yeah, i was thinkin about goin for a SPL one.. but then i thought.. i don't wanna be one of those crazy guys who drives around, and it sounds like your car is breakin down... and rattling.. instead of bass. how do you get it to not raddle like that, if its in a seperate trunk?

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 6814
I would go with 14 square inches (or a little more) per cubic foot like digital designs recomends that should be good for 1200 rms total at 28 hz if your tuning that low

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 6815
to be safe I would go with more port area though your on the borderline with 14 square inches per cubic feet at 1 cubic foot per sub tuned to 28 hz

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3487
Yeah, ya don't want to have too little port area.

Port noise FTL

Silver Member

MN US

Post Number: 146
true. 12 is minimum and he is only pushin 500 rms. i dont know what to do to minimize rattling, i have my sub in my truck so dont have to worry about it. arnt there special mats you can buy from like bestbuy and sh!t?

Username: Htown860

Post Number: 7
I'm not tryin to steal the thread, but how would you guys go about porting a box for an 18" soundsplinter rl-p? it says optimal ported box size is 5cu.ft...

Silver Member

MN US

Post Number: 147
well for 5 cuft i would go with a 20x30x14.5 box with a 20x3.5 slot port. if you tune it to 30 hz then u want the vent length to be about 33.25in

Silver Member

MN US

Post Number: 148
BTW those demensions are inside demensions so u need to cut everything a little longer...

Username: Htown860

Post Number: 8
alright, so you're sayin 70in^2 port area?

Silver Member

MN US

Post Number: 149
ya. which is 14 per quare foot

Silver Member

MN US

Post Number: 150
i ment 14in2 per cubic foot, my bad
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums