Adding a second batt?....

Gold Member
Username: Snarl2004

Audioque 12 SD2.5s, Earthquake P...

Post Number: 1761
I am adding a second batetry for my truck for car audio. I only have a little S10 pickup so the battery under the hood is tiny and its just the cheapest battery they had at the store.

I just bought a kinetik 2400 and i am going to put it in the back. My question is sence these are different types of batterys will they cause a discharge and will i need an isolator?

I have been told yes and no so i figured ide make a thread to find out.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3436
Just put a better batt under the hood.

Yes you need an isoaltor is you insist on using both, but then you get voltage drop. You're better off putting the good battery under the hood.

Why is it that everybody f**king thinks one more battery makes so much of a difference

Gold Member

Post Number: 1763
the only problem is S10's space under the hood for a batt is very small. I could probly fit a kinetik 1400 (mabey) theres no way im fiting a 2400 under the hood so i need to put it in the back. How much voltage drop does an isolator cause? also where can i get a good one at a lowish price

Silver Member
Username: Santa_fe

Post Number: 284
Ms> if he adds that extra batt couildent that possibly lead to alty problems...pretty sure S 10s have a smaller size alty.....if he gets the same type of batt in both under the hood and back does he still have to have the isolator?

Silver Member
Username: Renegadesrun

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 971
Fyi. If the ESR values are the same, then the necessicity for an isolator is negated. Do the math before purchasing.

Silver Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 968
"Why is it that everybody f**king thinks one more battery makes so much of a difference "

Because it DOES! My voltage used to drop below 12.5 at idle and dimmed extremely bad. I added a second battery and now it stays at 14+ and i get NO dimming. That's why I f**king think one more battery makes so much of a difference.

Silver Member
Username: Renegadesrun

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 980
Is your hand on your egg frying alt?

Didnt think so.

Just because you dont think its getting is preverbial a55 handed to it doesn't make it so.

Its your story man. Tell it how you want to.

Silver Member

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 969
Alternator is same temperature. And if i ever goes out, it gives me an excuse to get a HO alt.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3452
Santa Fe:

As with any other system, it will only cause alt problem if he pulls more current than his alt can produce. Which is why they make HO alternators

If you use 2 of the exact same battery, then you would not need an isolator. There will still be a small amount of current flowing between them, since no 2 batts are EXACTLY the same. It shouldnt be enough to cause a problem though.

Nick V:

Need more info before I can comment on this...... What brand/model was the 1st and 2nd batteries? Were they the same? Did you upgrade anything else (i.e. wiring) at the same time as the batteries?

Silver Member

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 971
M.S. I have a Interstate battery up front (not sure of model). The battery I added in back was a Interstate workaholic. I did not upgrade any wire until the next day. Which the wire also helped me a little bit. Not too much though. It really helped my electrical allot.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3455
In that case, I would suspect that the up front battery may not have been in tip top shape...... and then the one you added was new?

I'd bet that you would see the same difference had you replaced the front battery with the new one, as long as you had a good wire (0 gauge) to carry the current back the amp.

If the wire was not adequate, adding the 2nd battery close to the amplifier would mask that fact and could also cause a noticeable difference.

Not saying multiple batteries aren't useful (look at comp systems), but they usually don't make much of a difference with the engine running, playing music. In those comp systems, the goal is to get as much power as possible for a second or two, and recharge the batts later. When driving, the alternator is constantly charging the battery, and the amps are constantly drawing power. No matter how much storage capacity (batteries) there are, the alt has keep them charged. Having more batteries does make a difference, but unless the alternator is unsized, you usually don't notice it on music.

Silver Member

-[Team Audib...

Post Number: 972
Well M.S. I couldnt add a bigger battery up front. It is a small battery. So I suppose thats a reason why it made a HUGE difference.

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

15 AQ HD3

Post Number: 1579
Whats that smell? Oh wait its BEEF!!! I dont like beef around here so drop it. If Nick thinks a extra batt helps then good for him.

Snarl I have the same modle/year truck as you and I think you should just put the biggest batt under the hood you can,then just get a bigger alt. A bigger alt will help ALOT more than a extra bat.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 3860
I've run 3600rms on a stock 90A alt and two yellowtops, no problems unless you abuse your system..

if you always listen full tilt get yourself an alt.. just want some short blasts and to take care of bad voltage spikes, get your 1400 under the good 2400 in the cab, or whatever other batteries you want

BTW, if you want to compete, batteries ftw :-)

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3465
Nick:

I get what you're saying. What I was trying to at though, is the difference is probably made the fact that install a much better battery, not the fact there there's 2 batteries. I'd bet the you would have the same result if you could fit the the bigger one under the hood and only ran that.

Snarl and Twist:

Are your S10s 93 and down or 94 and up? I've got an old S10 Blazer, and the biggest battery that fits in there is an Odyssey PC1500

That's more than enough battery....... I'm pretty sure the newer ones are the same.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 3862
i owned a 96, there is plenty of battery room.. just had no AC due to the SBC 350 swap

Gold Member

Post Number: 1765
Sorry ive been out of town at a dirt bike race so i couldnt get back.

M.S. my truck is 2001

i already bought the HC2400 and it wont fit under the hood so i was gunna put it in the back.

do i need an isolator (im asuming yes) and if so where shoud i get one or what brand should i get?

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Team Revolution

Post Number: 2701
a relay would work as well and is much cheaper. but i dont have anything btween mine and its ok right now but i unhook mine when not in use. =\

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Http://com4.runboard.c...

Post Number: 2092
Battery work on an S-10...Dont know what year.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3544459#post3544459

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3506
^^^^^ Thats a 93 or older

The relay would work, the problem with those is they are not as reliable as an isolator and will usually fail after a certain period of time.

They are easier though, so you could use one just be aware that you may be replacing it sometime down the road.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 5409
Not another one of these threads

Gold Member

Post Number: 1769
i think ill go with buying an isolator

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3510
Snarl, when dealing with GM alternators theres a special way that an isolator has to be wired or it will fry the alt.

Do you even have an HO alternator? If not, I'd really recommend not wasting any more money on batteries/isolators/etc. that won't help you, and get the HO alt.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1771
i have an iraggi

Gold Member

Post Number: 1772
220 amp

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3513
Oh damn thats a nice alt. For some reason I thought you had a stock, my bad.

Now if you absolutely insist on doing this, heres an example of an isolator that would work:

http://www.motorcityreman.com/2-240.html

Call them before ordering and ask what you have to do to make it work with a GM CS series alt. If you just wire it up, it will fry the alts regulator. There's a special connection needs to be made and I don't remember exactly what it is.

And after you do that and install your 2nd battery, you will most likely BE GETTING LESS POWER FROM YOUR AMP, as the isolator causes a drop in voltage. But do whatever you want. Just don't be disappointed when you do all this and don't gain anything from it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1779
well the isolator will go between the 2 batts right? if so the amp pulls power directly from the seconds batt so it should be too bad should it?

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3516
The isolator connects between the alt and both batteries.

If you had say 14 volts before, you may only have about 13 volts after it's installed. Less voltage = less power from amp

Gold Member

Post Number: 1780
o. you dont connect the isolator between the two batts.

like it goes alot then 1st batt then 2nd batt. you dont put the isolator between the 1st and 2nd somewhere in the power line

Gold Member

Post Number: 1782
bump...?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us