Cuts out still

Silver Member
Username: Cplaya280

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 729
Ok this is bugging me my system constanty cuts out on certain days i cant even play a song for a good mintute without it cutting out but when i step on the gas it seems to play a lot better but still cuts out sumtimes. And then other days i'll be driving a while pressin the gas most the time and my system can play good for like a straight 15 minutes without it cuttin out n stuff. Why does it do this. Im guessin alternator or battery but dont know which one to replace first. Either get a new alt first or just buy a extra battery first. I have 1500rms watts going into a 105amp alternator for a 1994 gmc jimmy.

Bronze Member
Username: Josh85

Gordon, PA

Post Number: 25
Battery is probably dying due to low voltages from the alt "trying" to keep up. Best to replace both at this point I would think.....

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 730
yea i do eventully but dont know what to start out with the alt or battery. I mean at idle with no bass playing at all my battery reads 14volts but with the bass on heavy it drops down to 9volts. So just thinking what to do first replace the alternator or just get an extra battery

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 10589
Start with the alt. That's your heart of the charging system. All the batts in the world will eventually die as well if left with that alt. Power BEFORE storage.......

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 732
the alternator i want is 220amp with 175amp idle for total of $360. And a optima yellow top is gonna cost me like $200 so what should i do first to prevent this problem for a little while

Silver Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 472
OHMYGOSH9VOLTS
ha there is your problem

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 733
yea but what if im using 2 batteries instead of just the one wouldnt that help out before replacing the alternator???

Silver Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 474
read paul's above post

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 734
well not 9 lol maybe around like 10.5-11

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10590
This is a good chart to show you what a battery's state is per voltage reading. These are at rest voltages but you get the idea.....long term exposure to these low voltages will kill your batts....

Upload

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10591
Lol. I have no idea what is going on with Ecoustics today. Check the times on the posts...

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3412
Damn 9 volts sometings seriously wrong there

Where was that voltage reading taken. At the battery, amp, what?

Is that GMC Jimmy a full size or an S15

Bronze Member
Username: Wylie_coyote

Post Number: 90
well in my crappy corsa i was running a 1000RMS sub with a 1000rms amp. when i first put it in the my car was a dico on wheels. so i spoke to a few people and they said put in a power cap. but i wasn't looking to spend £100 on a car i was gonna get rid of so i put in a second battery. the blinking didn't stop but it wasn't as bad.

its only ever going to be a temporary measure though. the cars primary source of power is the alternator. basically i agree with Paul.

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Team Revolution

Post Number: 2662
ihad a feeling it was voltage. wel i would think a battery in the back would hold you over till you get a new alt. but just give your batteries time to recharge.

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, 9515 thumpin... What u bumpin?

Post Number: 3665
9V.... your lucky your amp is cutting out...... if it didnt you would probally have seen some smoke

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 735
the power wire was all black and crusted that was goin into the amp the wire was really fried. i have no idea how that happened but thats why it kept cutting out most the time i figured out. It don't cut out near as much anymore because i restripped that wire. durin the day im at like 11.8volts at night wit the lights on im at like 11volts. I'm gettin the reading off the dashboard because you can see the battery level bar drop down a little bit each time the bass hits especially when im in idle. And its a S15 Gmc Jimmy SUV 4.3L. But yea any other advice would be good

Silver Member
Username: Renegadesrun

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 986
Still not good. Reading ATD should be around 14v.....and dipping from there, with the car running.

Check the V from the alt (car running of course) and lemme know what you get.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3464
Again, were is the voltage measuremnt taken?

Check voltage at the amp and at the battery and tell us what it is.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 6801
1500 watts rms 150 amp fuse best case .....its easy...you dont have enough alternator.....I had a 1500 watt rms amp on 105 amp alternator even with an optima red top it wasnt enough...your clipping your amps and killing your battery id bet your dropping to 10 volt range at least on the right notes

Gold Member

Post Number: 6802
case in point....my brother has a stock 136 amp alternator and battery and on 100 amp fused phoenix gold xenon 1200.1 his voltage drops to 11.2 volts set to 1200 rms

Silver Member
Username: Santa_fe

Post Number: 289
i think im right below the problem area for chraging issues i run 750 rms @ 2 ohms and i get like 12.6-12.8 a the lowest and this is at idle.....i have 100 amp alty

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 1893
what amps do you have bro?

shi++y amps are gonna have terrible efficiency. But then again, if your voltage is dropping to 9 at points, then ... well thats bad

Gold Member

Post Number: 6806
750 watts (75 amp draw class D) is what I recomended for 105 amp alternator to someone before on here ...looks like I was about right...thanks Santa Fe

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 736
i have 1500rms kicker zx1500.1 amp. the alternator is 105A and the voltage meter was taking just off the dash bored i didnt use a dmm or anything i just look at the dashboard when the notes hit it drops down to like 10.5-11.5 Why did the power wire turn all black and fry is it because my alt isn't strong enough and is makin the amp work harder?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us